WindCrete Ferrocement Spar Buoy and other current ferrocement designs

WindCrete is a project ready to begin construction of ferrocement sparbuoys, for offshore wind turbines. While we’ve touched on, and even proposed such designs and the methodology to build them, this is the first real-world project I know of.

http://www.windcrete.com/

http://cleantechnica.com/2015/11/09/researchers-develop-low-cost-offshore-floating-wind-turbine/

GICON is a German company proposing a ferrocement TLP (Tension Leg Platform) design for shallower installations (18m-500m depths)

http://www.gicon.de/en/aktuelles/nachrichtenliste-aktuell/newsdetails/archive/2016/july/14/article/giconR-sof-to-be-represented-at-the-international-offshore-wind-partnering-forum-2016-usa.html

As these technologies get more acceptance, and the construction costs level-out, I expect them to become more readily available.

As Basalt products become more readily available, reducing mass, increasing structural strength, and making for a more renewable product, and the potential of Geopolymer to reduce costs, as well. The future certainly is beginning to look more like Seasteading could start having results sooner.

(Note: Basalt rebar has ~30% of the mass of the equivalent steel, and as a direct replacement for steel reduces the environmental impact of mining, uses less energy to manufacture than smelting and is fairly universally available, as far as Planet Earth is concerned. In addition, since corrosion becomes a non-issue, the overall wall-thickness can be reduced, lowering both mass and costs even further. Certain potential Geopolymer formulas could reduce the cost of cement by as much as 65%, using generally available materials, as well.)

Jeff Frusha

Boat/seastead survival in a hurricane
SRS (SRL) - the first project
UK Physicist wanting to learn more about seasteading
UK Physicist wanting to learn more about seasteading
(Nick Gencarelle) #2

Our basalt reinforcements are very available right now. Using an Ultra High Strength Conrete is the other part of the equation available right now as well. Call me 401-481-8422 http://basalt-rebar.com

My own project is still a couple of years from beginning construction, while I have plans drawn up, get modeling and testing done, then final architecture blueprints finished. In and amongst, I am still working on obtaining the supplies to develop my low-cost Geopolymer. I expect I will be buying roving from you, and making my own FRTP rebar, so I can shape it, without fighting the tension. Heat it, bend into place, let it cool, and it will retain the new shape, and the tension will reset try to maintain the new shape, as well. However, it looks like new technology will even greatly simplify the making of FRTP rebar, so, all-in-all, I’m moving forward and things are really beginning to fall into place.

My own concept is still a ferrocement-like Ramform hull, using Basalt FRTP rebar, and Geopolymer, or, lacking that, cement. I was showing the above design, to show that ferrocement offshore structures are still making advances.

Even at 1/2scale, with the Windcrete spar design, a top-mounted cabin would be far above even the combined trough and crest of the Draupner wave. At 1/3 scale, it would still be above the highest wave recorded in the GoMex, during Hurricane Ivan.

By using a similar layout of internal tanks to the F.L.I.P. (Floating Instrument Platform) of the Scripps Institute, the spar-buoy could be horizontal for some maintenance and maneuver operations. Using a fixed hull cabin, and thrusters, the possibility to relocate, avoiding major storms, becomes readily available, as well.

https://discuss.seasteading.org/uploads/default/optimized/2X/0/0b8bacd285bfa6ed43c9dcbe8a7d3315428b7b61_1_371x500.png

Jeff Frusha

(Matias Volco) #5

A more sedentary, steady, vision of the trend in high tech blue collar jobs and living as represented in maintenance “loft” for floating wind turbines.

Imagine this as an observation tower, sail or snorkel, of an underwater super spacious habitat with ample storage and floor space.

(Matous Horal) #6

high tech blue collar jobs - those are the magic words
on the other side, afaik the loft would be very uncomfortable due to the proximity of the rotor and all the mechanics. this design is not feasible from the engineering point of view afaik. I will get some feedback for this from people smarter than me, but I am quite sure that

but I really like the idea of using the counterweight these turbines need to accomodate habitable space. it gives a nice “anchor point” for further development of these spaces that could also deal with grid stability issues (this would create the economic incentive, since unpredictability of renewables creates need for such operations)…
yup I like this…

(Matias Volco) #7

right? At this stage it is white collar jobs that act more like cogs in a mechano-Leviathan.

(Matous Horal) #8

yup, but the eventual ability of seasteading-tied industries to generate jobs on a grand scale for blue collars is the win-win option you want.