Which countries have sensible resource consent requirements?

(Jake Rosoman) #1

I’m looking for a country that would allow a seastead to occupy its sheltered marine areas. And make it reasonably hassle free. I don’t mind if they charge occupation fees. In fact they should. And I’m not expecting an exclusive economic zone.

Hexagon Pontoon design and cost estimate
(.) #2

French Polynesia? Cloud be. Though might not be. Depends on them too.

(Chad Elwartowski) #3

I am wondering if you consider it a houseboat or just a large vessel, any country would allow it. Maybe find a marina with enough space to moor it?

It is certainly possible in Canadian lakes.

I think the easiest route would be to create a boat sized seastead that is modular. Moor that in the marina with the marina’s permission. Get to know the owner and your neighbors well enough and let them get comfortable with your floating house. Then put another seastead on as an “add-on”. And another…and another…though they’ll probably eventually kick you out if you push it too far.

(Jake Rosoman) #4

Well in NZ once you start living on it you need resource consent.

Public lakes or private lakes? Actually come to think of it private lakes are quite common so maybe that’s worth looking into in countries which don’t freeze over.

(Larry G) #5

Do you have a link to NZ resource consent rules?

I don’t think we have that here in the U.S.

(Jake Rosoman) #6

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1991/0069/latest/DLM231949.html#DLM231949

It basically just says you can’t do anything without consent.

(Larry G) #7

Wow. The commonwealth has drifted so far from the common law tradition. It’s happening here too, perhaps a bit slower.

(Chad Elwartowski) #8

Apparently it is on a cove of the ocean but I was referring to this:

I think if you’re in middle of nowhere and you aren’t disruptive nobody will really care.

Unfortunately, last I recall, they had a fire that started near the generator and destroyed most of it. Last I heard, they weren’t going to rebuild…

(Chad Elwartowski) #10

That is unfortunate. Made it 25 years though.

(Bill Noyb) #11

The fire points out at least one reason to have a seastead purpose built instead of a conglomeration of various smaller vessels. Actually, I admire the idea of just swarming together and forming a community, but there is that danger to the whole from one badly maintained or operated vessel. If a swarm community forms, I guess it should have an inspector to make sure every member is safe to add at the outset, and then maybe a periodic reinspection.

These kinds of boat communities have existed for years in marinas around the world on a less formal basis. Perhaps the marina owner has performed the inspector role. The nice thing about it is that these communities are ready to form in a matter of days, rather than the huge expense of building some giant floating structure.

(Jake Rosoman) #12

Actually funny story: a property developer dug out a marina in some land he owned. He continued to own what was now a part of the seabed but he still has to get resource consent for anything he does with it. He wanted to put some floating apartments on it. I assume he will find a way to get consent but it’s been a couple years and the project still isn’t done so he is having some trouble. http://www.theboatsheds.co.nz