What will the special political zone look like?

(Jordan) #1

I can’t remember now where I read/watched it. Maybe it was mentioned by Jean Christophe Bouissou in his recent press interview. But I thought it was mentioned that in addition to the special economic zone, would be created a special political zone.

Does anyone know if there have been any statements made or documents created that specify what that special political zone would look like?

Whether you all do or not, what do YOU think that would and should look like?

(Chad Elwartowski) #2

It will likely be like the ZEDE in Honduras as that was what the TSI was focused on for a long time.

Basically, it becomes a small city who’s leader is directly appointed by the president (likely chosen by a committee appointed by the president). It would likely have scaled back rules pertaining to trade and courts with a focus on tourism and investment. This instance they will likely add some rules on oversight of environmental factors.

What I think it should look like is basically carving out a 1x1 km square in a protected area and declare it to have the same rights as it would have in international waters 200nm away from land. Allow anyone to moor there as long as they do not cause any environmental damage. This would put a thriving economy on their doorstep without the need to regulate it nor subsidize/invest in it.

(Jordan) #3

What do you think the likelihood is of your last paragraph actually being the case with the French Polynesia Seastead?

(Larry G) #4

It should probably have relaxed rules on immigration and work visa status.

(Chad Elwartowski) #5

Zero likelihood :stuck_out_tongue:

(Jordan) #6

I agree with that. Immigration and work visas were something that I hadn’t even considered! What about regulations regarding scientific experimentation?

(Jordan) #7

Too bad, haha. That would be great!

(Larry G) #8

I somehow doubt that FP has super strict scientific restrictions. They probably have not addressed many issues like that to this point. If you’re talking about human cloning, genetic modification, and stuff like that, you might have a hard sell because the liberals of the developed world have already poisoned the well on genetic modification research, and the Catholic + religious right influence is not cool with tinkering around with the definition of humanity.

(Jordan) #9

Well, those barriers were things that I think might be problems in a first-world nation, but I’d hoped that they were so outside the realm of what people in Tahiti think is important that it might just not be on their radar. I don’t know.