What happened to the scaleable seasteads idea?

(Dave Ridley) #1

Question: Whatever happened to that 2010-era idea of scalable seasteads? I think it was discussed either on your forum or your website. As I recall, there was going to be 2 inch tall model to serve as a toy in bathtubs…super cheap…followed by a larger one to show off in pools, then one for lakes, then one a person could fit on top of… each would be sold to fund the next escalation until there was one so big it really was a seastead! I kept checking back and nothing ever seemed to really happen with this first rate idea. Then I wandered off for years.

A second question would be whether blockchain technology might be capable of jump starting this idea… The brainstorm here would be creating a crypto coin or token that has a set amount of its value poured into the scalable seastead project. Perhaps there is now a way to make that money go where it is supposed to in a trustless or smart-contract fashion. I’m not planning to do this myself … I’m a mountain person, not a beach boy lol. But I want you guys or one of your competitors if any…to succeed. So I may write an article or something.

Modular Extension | Connectors | Cellular expansion | Building Technology | Advanced Cement Composites
(Chad Elwartowski) #2

Great to have you here Dave, I enjoy your videos.

There were several people with scalable solutions. None of them really took off. My Viva Vivas design is focused on being able to invest in a small unit that can then be attached to others and grow organically costing under $20k per unit.

I believe much of the talk of scaling to a viable seastead that could survive in 50 foot waves in the 200nm from shore in international waters was replaced by the 3 phase approach of starting first phase in a nation’s protected waters, work on the engineering from there and move to the 12nm zone with slightly more waves but with more autonomy until finally reaching phase 3 of being 200nm from any nation being able to withstand huge waves.

The Seasteading Institute has been working with French Polynesia to get a Special Economic Zone created in one of their lagoons to test out a Phase 1 seastead. They hope to have the legislation passed by the end of the year.

Blockchain technology will certainly be playing a role.

A few other approaches have been in the works as well by folks on this forum such as Marinea which plans on a Phase 1 approach of buying a hotel barge/filling station that can be retrofitted and located in the Cay Sal Bank of the Bahamas within a protected waterway to begin growing from there.

Small, modular designs

“What happened to the scaleable seasteads idea?”

It evolved.

Hard cash will jump start it real good,…

(Chad Elwartowski) #4

A post was merged into an existing topic: Small, modular designs

(.) #5

Hi Dave;

I think, both ideas are good: the scalable model and the blockchain.
Thank you for your support.

(Dave Ridley) #6

Thanks for the responses guys…I posted this message or at least one like it to a couple crypto forums, but haven’t gotten much feedback. I don’t know enough about how the latest crypto tech functions…to be able to reliably game out how this might work.

(.) #7

Good enough. Thank you for your effort.

(Chad Elwartowski) #8

On the blockchain token side of things, check out this link with Blue Frontiers:

They are working on offering a crypto token as part of their funding strategy.

(Chad Elwartowski) #9

A post was split to a new topic: Crypto Insider write-up on Floating Island Project ICO

(Michael David Lipkan) #10

What keeps the blockchain cryptocurrency from being a ponzy scheme? Would people with dictatorial ambitions try to gain extreme token wealth by manipulating the computer programs that keep the ledgers?

(Chad Elwartowski) #11

A blockchain cryptocurrency can be a ponzi scheme. Fortunately there is Bitcoin, which is not a ponzi scheme. I would avoid the alt coins unless you research their open source software.