What about the waves!?!

@JL_Frusha … Thanks. I found a more recent paper on the “Wave Bridge” … written for open seas, as opposed to shallow-water application.

It also addresses the problem of hortizontal force that I raised in the “Breakwater” thread.

Btw, Richie Sowa addresses this problem with his “flippers” scheme … which transfers surface waves into propulsion. Not currently practical, but creative.

My perspective - this “Bridge Wave” concept intends to be minimally invasive to the oceanic environment, which probably isn’t necessary unless national environmental regulations mandated it for some reason.

IMO, a floating mangrove forest or a kelp field accomplishes the same objective (of surface wave refraction) at a cheaper cost, and probably with better additional benefits.

Combined breakwater and wave power generator

How a’bout them apples…? I proposed using parabolic defection, somewhere in this forum. Be ripped of I remember when, where, or what, but…

Masashi Tanaka, Akira Matsumoto, Minoru Hanzawa

In many Japanese ports, it has been reported that long-period waves with periods of 30 to 200s cause serious problems in cargo handling. As a countermeasure, wave absorbing mounds installed on the harbor side of breakwaters have been constructed. The crown heights of such rubble mounds are almost equal to those of the caissons. Although such structures can be expected to provide some wave absorbing performance, they are too large to apply to specific site conditions. It is important therefore to reduce the size of the structure to apply to specific site conditions. In our study, a slightly submerged mound type long-period wave absorbing structure is proposed. A series of hydraulic model experiments was carried out to evaluate the wave absorbing performance in port and stability characteristics of the armor units against wave overtopping from the sea side. Throughout this study, it became clear that submerged structures display a higher wave absorbing performance compared with those of conventional structures. Moreover, a prediction formula for the stability number for Tetrapods covering these submerged mounds is proposed.

Conversely, the shell could be inverted and floated on the surface. That would retract surface waves regardless its orientation.

Compensating for hortizontal force remains a problem, as it does for any surface structure.

I’m not exactly sure what “electrolysis seacrete” looks like in practice, but a “shaped wire-mesh form” is also a practical means of scattering surface waves.

Deployed horizontally, a flexible mesh would dissipate energy much like a kelp bed or mangrove forest.

A additional factor in that concept, Jeff, is that surface waves refracted downward onto a submerged structure, by definition, help (slightly) to compensate for drift from the hortizontal force inherent in surface wave refraction.

However, I would refract from the submerged structure back toward the surface and into the incoming surface waves.

Biorock/Seacrete uses the electrolysis of seawater to cause accretion of Calcium Carbonate onto electrodes. Water current and duration of the supplied electricity affect the rate of deposition, as well as the total amount. It is possible to create structures as strong as bone, that are also active environments for natural sea life, such as corals. Essentially, make an artificial reef, of almost any shape. One project is attempting to make a boat hull, another proposes to make a floating concert hall.

My suggestion is to use the same process to make hollow Tetrapods, or Crablocks of appropriate size, to create the seafloor wave-break, position them, and fill with sand/mud from the local sea-floor.

Combined breakwater and wave power generator

Thanks for that update, Jeff.

Earlier, possibly elsewhere, possibly in another thread. I tried to suggest a breakwater that reflected the waves back on themselves…

Here’s one design that does… Notice it is moored in a fixed position…

Floating breakwater Gokova Ören marina, Turkey