What about applying the seasteading concept to refugee problems NOW?

For those interested in the house-on-stilts approach to seasteading, see this Wikipedia article, seems a good number of such constructions built before 1900 are still standing. The Fowley Lighthouse having stood 135 years so far, made of steel and iron, would have made a great start for the original Marinea design, in my opinion. A cluster of those, linked laterally to each other, and diagonally to the seafloor, would be very difficult to bring down, yet could be easy to relocate.

(Matias Volco) #9

with the living space located as bridges between the towers?

Matias, i agree with your post, they could adapt, and we can learn from each other, and a seastead you built to put them to work on would prolly help them and us in many ways.

However, now there is no such tried and tested floating seastead, and they may need six months to become useful in a technical environment. Remember their water skills are in shallows, not deep water.

The original post was about duplicating their lifestyle for millions of refugees around the world, Mexico was mentioned. I don’t know that Mexico has people currently living at sea on stilts that need rescuing. They do have a million or so sitting on the usa border trying to get into the usa, and i really doubt they will hop on the first boat to never setting foot on land again. If such people are fleeing the Mexican government, putting those landlubbers on stilts where the Mexican coast guard can knock them down like the Italian Gov knocked down Roseland, prolly not a good idea. So where else would you put them, in shallow usa waters? I cannot imagine the usa going for that. You can’t put them on a large boat, they have no money to operate it.

You could. Or just don’t build them as tall towers, go up only as far as needed to support the construction workers’ sleeping spaces, the restaurant (the workers need to eat), and the first machinery room (electricity, food freezers, watermakers). Then you take off and build laterally, and build floating docks.

Did you see the screw pile lighthouse in Mobile Bay? Nice place!

(Matias Volco) #12

I’ve seen a very similar one in person, kayaked around it and walked closed to it during the low tide in the Atlantic in France

which is very close to Fort Boyard

How can we enable that? The hundreds of billions needed for such colossal endeavor are in Swiss Bank accounts or in the stock market. The refugees problem runs deep and it’s hundreds of years in the making.

It’s systemic worldwide and will only get worst since nobody at the top gives a shit about it.

What about applying the seasteading concept to refugee problems NOW 2.0?
(Bob LLewellyn) #14

The problem is basic economics. Too many people competing for too few goods. The solution for the last couple of years is to have a war and let the poor die so other can live. The system sucks but the so called people at the top can’t fix the problem, they don’t know how. This is one time when the government and the lawyers themselves can see how making another stupid law isn’t going to fix anything. Since all they know is to paper over the problem with new laws, they are out of tricks but won’t step aside to let us fixers have a go at it.

The seastead won’t fix the refugee problem directly but it will give others a place to go so there won’t be quite so much competition so fewer people will be displaced then maybe the problem will be small enough to do something about.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #15

@ForexBob, i think that is a great base hypothesis to look at refugee problems - it is about distribution of resources on a planet that slowly runs out of sustainability politics can not solve that - on contrary - it is part of the problem because it is a netto drain on human creativity and productivity which needs to be boosted instead of interfered and redtaped.

The contribution of seasteads will be to supply the blank page that enables “inventors, creators, and fixers” to create a better future free of interference from politics - bringing up the solutions that a overpopulated planet needs fast. (in the next 30 years)

At the moment our society is failing to maximize progress towards sustainability due to politics.

(Rich) #16

Ellmer, buy my shipyard map. $5. http://www.habitationsystems.com/gear/buy-a-map-of-the-worlds-shipyards

shredder, why is there a naked female human on your banner? Are you advertising free exploitation?

EAT.
SLEEP.
WIN.

Spread the wealth brother,… What’s the trick for that? :wink:

(Rich) #19

I didnt exploit anybody. I pay a lot of money for that picture. My ideas are all about “making the sale”. Not finding investors. Not making a consensus with a bunch of talking heads. Find a billionaire, make them want to become a seastead owner. Develop it and install. Repeat. Make the seasteads bigger and bigger and more people so the cost per person comes down.

Realistically, floating the poor out to sea would be murder. Building houses in the shallows would be more expensive than doing so on land, where there are probably already plenty of empty houses. Statistics for the US say we have at least 2 empty houses per homeless person in this country. Very few are trying to actually HOUSE the homeless. Most are merely creating a government check for themselves, while temporarily providing something that isn’t necessarily the charity it is perceived to be.

(.) #21

Seems to me that charity organization are trying to put the homeless back to jobs.
They are homeless because they lost their job. The job thing did not work for them.
Keep doing what doing, keep getting what getting. The job thing does not work for
everyone. For me it worked for a while. I did have a job.

I know the homeless. 32 years ago I entered to the USA as an immigrant.
I had a Helsinki agreement passport issued by the Austrian government.
In the section of national origin the official entry is: ungeklart. Homeless.

Since then I have a US citizen passport too. I still have the old one, so I
remember where I come from.

I officially know the homeless.

(.) #22

And since then too I participated as a community volunteer.
And as a community volunteer I have been in jails, prisons, mental institutions and homeless shelters
in the USA where American, US citizens were and are the homeless. I went there to be there with
them.

(.) #23

I have ID card, certifications with my photo picture on them.
Sometimes I find the homeless on the streets. I understand the homeless.
I see them, I talk to them in the USA, and whenever I am in other counties.

I saw the Syrian refugees in Greece. I get it.

I’ve spent some hard times homeless. Even when I had a place to stay, sometimes it was barely above camping in the woods. I wouldn’t try to avoid it so hard, if it happens again. It no longer frightens me.

(Rich) #25

3 yrs in my truck. No end in sight.

I had real estate when my back was messed up, i lost it. Didn’t have great neighbors. On and off homeless, winter in Syracuse parking lot in car, winter in tent in woods in Ohio, winter in abandoned factory in Atlanta, winter in factory building in Penn, first winter here in car in woods (but i had a electric heater in the car here). One thing i really miss about living in the car: if the neighbors were bad, i could just leave. Financially i will lose my ass when i leave this real estate, just like the first land i mentioned. But with the right terms, i’d still sell it this minute for half the appraised value. I would say i am open to swap for dock space on the GOM, but that would just tie me to a location with neighbors, and i am so over doing that again.

(.) #27

I have Huckleberry Finn syndrome.

In the Mark Twain book Tom Sawyer, Tom and Finn find the treasure, and
each have a house to live in. Finn sleeps in the backyard because he cannot
get a good night sleep in a house. He is not used to it.

I call it the Huckleberry Finn syndrome. I have it.