What about applying the seasteading concept to refugee problems NOW 2.0?

Being poor is relative, not a state of mind. When one cannot purchase basic necessities, afford housing, or afford to move from one housing situation to a more reasonably priced solution, then circumstances dictate a state of being poor, or impoverished.

(Bob LLewellyn) #22

[quote=“JL_Frusha, post:21, topic:1980”]
Being poor is relative, not a state of mind.[/quote]

It’s no relative of mine.

Must not be too far from your door. You’re in here trying to drum up funds to build…

(Larry G) #24

Yes- by definition: they take a “vow of poverty.”

True, and not a new problem. The wealthy have, through history, looked down upon the “nouveau riche” because they didn’t understand how to deal with wealth, and often squandered it. Our celebrity entertainers in the modern world- they have essentially “found” wealth rather than created it, and it’s often reflected in their poor understanding of how wealth is created, and sustained, and spread to those who are not yet wealthy.

Refugees may or may not have been poverty stricken before they needed refuge. Many were wealthy or at least working class before circumstance befell them, and they do not lack for motivation, in many cases. However, that motivation can still be stifled and eve extinguished by lack of opportunity.

Yet another class other than those simply ignorant of how to build wealth, are those who CHOOSE to be homeless. Many people simply do not want to work, do not want to follow systemic societal rules, and do not care one way or the other how much stuff they have, or in many cases don’t even carefor what other people consider comfort, or necessity. If you don’t mind pooping on the ground, and don’t care about personal hygiene, a toilet and running water are not “necessary”.

Again, ‘necessities’ aren’t always necessary. In Iraq and Afghanistan, we often couldn’t get locals to use a toilet. They would rather crap alongside the berm around the camp than use a port-a-john toilet. To them, what we consider basic, necessary hygiene was not only unnecessary, it wasn’t even desirable.

If one’s customary housing is a bedouin tent, one may well look down on people who live in houses of mud or stone because their lifestyle is static.Is the tent bedouin more impoverished than the person who chose to live in a hut?

Poverty is both a state of mind and relative. To a rich man, someone with less income is living in poverty. To me, a person with high income living way beyond their means is a step from poverty. The primary mechanisms of wealth-building are delayed gratification and future orientation. Sadly lacking in the poor, fairly common amongst the rich. Consider Maszow’s hierarchy- is a person wealthy before they achieve self actualization? When they achieve love? Does it take societal esteem? I personally would not trade places with past millionaire John D. Rockefeller, because despite his relative wealth compared to his contemporaries, he lived in a period of appalling scientific and medical ignorance and lack of physical comforts and security that even our modern welfare recipients don’t have to endure. I think I would personally put the beginnings of the “wealthy” class at the stage where they have achieved physiological needs and a measure of future security.

Even rich people collaborate to invest in large projects.

(Bob LLewellyn) #25

[quote=“JL_Frusha, post:23, topic:1980”]
You’re in here trying to drum up funds to build…[/quote]

That’s not what this forum is good for. I never hid my intentions for being on here, I’m keeping my eye out for talent. The Marinea Project formed on here. I was amazed at the quality of talent that found their way here. Our CEO has an MBA from Harvard, pretty good credentials but that is the quality of the people that we have on here.

We still need a lawyer and a CFO of some type, however we still have time for that. But I never meant to mislead anyone, once we started this pilot project, that is where my attention has to be. I hold conversations with others with similar interests as mine on here but my focus is always Marinea and will be until I see it in the water. I hope that doesn’t bother you, About the relative thing, I meant no offense, it was just a joke.

Basic necessities for food, water, housing, heating and cooling all have price tags. That was my point. Depending on location and situations, that may by a personal investment of labor, or monetary costs.

Regulations being what they are, I just bought a $1k composting toilet and a $400 composted, to deal with regulations on waste disposal. That may well screw up my land purchase. I’ve been homeless, been abused for not having an income sufficient to afford housing, had possessions stolen because the police were indifferent to the plight of the homeless.

Poverty isn’t anything to joke about. I just moved, when we had to borrow funds to do so, so that we can escape the expense of a high rent area. I have no earthly idea how I’m going to pay that back.

Things that we, in 1st World countries count as necessities are admittedly different than survival necessities. That toilet and composter are long term investments in a healthy survival for my family. Treating wastes to make fertilizer, to raise food, to cut other expenses.

I understand differently, because I have to live with poverty. That isn’t a reflection of intellect, or dreams, just a current fact.

(Larry G) #27

On the contrary, handled correctly, everything is something to joke about. It’s better to laugh in disbelief at how artificially hard things can be made to be, than to get frustrated and break down in tears.

I also have been homeless for a short period. It’s scary.

Real Estate Paradigm Shift | oceanic business alliance | oceanic real estate | floating real estate |

The absolute hardest thing I’ve had to face is homelessness WITH dependents and pets. By myself, not nearly as much of a problem.

That has been within the last several weeks. Perhaps in a few months, I may from find humor in bits and pieces, but that will take time. However, it’s not something to carelessly toss jokes AT.