Used car tires and some pioneer spirit

(Gerd Weiland) #103

Indeed spark a continues hollow tube without any openings and of any diameter can be Ring woven on land and or at sea by hand and provides the engineering parameters to extend a Seastead floating platform into any dimensions. If you combine this methodology with a offshore plastic floatsum retrieval system then the Seastead movement could become instrumental in providing a vital service to the international community.

(.) #104

Yes, I see the point. I will use the inter tube model.

(Kim Cowdroy) #105

Spark,

Out of amusement I set up a large “tube” so as to better see how it fits together on joining.

What became obvious on looking at and constructing the model, is that you do not “roll” the wall around and try to connect up as you would then have to unweave many of the tires first.

I think, the way to construct it physically (and in modelling as it turns out) is to start with a base of the required size, with one space between each tube and then start weaving them together and essentially build up one layer at a time in either direction.

I am only glad I made this mistake in modelling, wasting a few clicks on the computer rather than lugging around dozens of tires to realise what would be required, as some might advise.

(.) #106

“After this. This flat, plain, sheet, two dimensional matrix could be rolled into a tube.
And the whole weaving could be started to form the tube instead of a sheet.
The tube can be woven indefinitely, it is just question of tires and space.”

As I stated before, yes, the weaving the tube cannot start out first weaving a sheet and rolling the
sheet into a tube.

It has to start as a tube.

Great work with sketchup. Thank you for the pictures.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #107

Something like | Richi Sowa´s bottle island | could be hold together with a tire ring weave…

The original fiber components of the island “holding it structurally together” where :

• Mangrove Roots
• Plastic Net meshing

• Tire weave could “substancially improve” that concept…to the point where it becomes “somewhat seaworthy” like the Kontiki Raft … which made a pacific crossing.

Our concept of | poor man’s floating island | certainly outperforms the Kontiki in seaworthyness by far - already…“diverse combinations of those concepts” could be useful in many ways - lead to really economic floating real estate, and form (in concert with other technologies) part of the “oceanic real estate paradigm shift” …

To test such a concept you should probably look to the hurricane free part of the Caribbean and stay away from waters where “endorsement of the US Coastguard” is a “must have” for floating structures. (see: | the need for interference free space to perform experiments)

PS: Also check on the “buoyancy injector” suggested and postulated in april 2015 - the ring weave mat could take the place of the suggested “geotextil” component.

This is also another example of a composite structure made from fiber, filler, and bonder without modular and connectors...

Modular Extension | Connectors | Cellular expansion | Building Technology | Advanced Cement Composites

Modular Extension | Connectors | Cellular expansion | Building Technology
(Kim Cowdroy) #108

Spark,

I am not sure if you are aware, but the tire wall can be constructed in a similar manner to what you had, but done so that there are no large holes at all.

Starting with the four tires connected at the centre then two of these are placed together as in the model below on the left. Your design is the one on the right which shows the hole being created.

The wall would then look as follows.

However I do not consider it to be as strong as the design you showed and definitely not as strong as having the rods.

This is because every two lines both in the horizontal and the vertical, there are two adjacent full tire widths that are not connected.

There are some ways to address this.

(Kim Cowdroy) #109

Approaches to Two Tire Widths Unconnected.

1. With any big module it is likely that two or more tire layers would be required. So could use the weaker no holes wall internally and then the other one with the holes externally.

2. Strap the adjoining tires together using the loop through chain method with strips of tire circles and crossing it between the adjacent tire ends. The end of the loop could be put over the next tire by weaving that tire through it, so this becomes part of the weaving process.

3. Have half width tires. Need to adjust them by one half width space so there is a connection in the two middle tires of the four that now make up the two tire widths that were apart.

(Kim Cowdroy) #110

Half width tires.

This method requires folding the tires in one of two configurations for each of the half width tires. It assumes a tight half width fold can be made which hopefully is the case for most tires.

Below on the left is the configuration with the tires split in half, and on the right is the setup after the adjustment.

These are combined to show the wall structurally as follows.

And closer, it is barely visible, but the tightness (and physical difficulty of the weaving) shows.

(Kim Cowdroy) #111

Half Tire Width Advantage.

A little play in Sketchup shows that by having half width tires, it is fairly easy to ensure there no actual holes at all, even if the pattern is messed up or there are some tires with differing flattened lengths that take up more or less than the regular 8 half spaces.

Some, but not many, of the spaces will have just one tire depth instead of two but these are only in quarter of a one full width tire square space.

(Gerd Weiland) #112

These designs are not possible using the multi million scrap tire available, (which is the whole point in this exercise) as only a one to four Ring Weave ratio is possible without cutting into the rubber enclosed steel belt. A one to three ratio is possible and indeed the only option when using the modern very wide tire treads produced for high speed tires. However this 3 to 1 design does not allow the homogeneous structures which are the prerequisite for the total flexibility dynamics needed for sustainable structrual integrity.

(Kim Cowdroy) #113

Gerd,

Thankyou for that. This is the sort of information we need.

(Gerd Weiland) #114

The size of the module has no effect on the structrual integrity of the material involved which if you take the time to actually build by hand a scale model as i repeatedly suggested with sliced bicycle inner tubes (you do NOT need to use scrap tire treads to practice this) you would see that each Ring-Web structure consists of 4 layers of (steel reinforced) rubber bands which can be woven into any 2 and 3 dimensional structures. These Ring-Web structures DO NOT require connecting rods and therefor are much stronger than those that do.

(Gerd Weiland) #115

Indeed as i allready indicated and which is shown on the photos i presented there are three Ring Weave design variations, all of which use the same Ring-Weave principle, of which only one incorperates an empty space. Each design variation ensures specific mechanical properties to address the application requirements.

(Kim Cowdroy) #116

Looking back more carefully through the photos I can now see in one that there is a structure that does not require rods, and is based on a Outer/Inner/Inner/Outer set up for each tire, and has no holes and is structurally sound.

It was not obvious to me, and I have to admit I got the wrong impression that you were only proposing rods to connect each 4 x 4 set of tires.

Still not sure what you mean by a Ring-Weave principle. Is this the Outer/Inner/Outer/inner set up of a tire for the 4 x 4 set of tires with a rod to connect the adjacent set of tires, or is it the Outer/inner/inner/Outer tire set up I mentioned above, or do you consider these to be the same ie a 4 to 1 ratio tire that is interweaved?

(Gerd Weiland) #117

Indeed the Rici Sowa Bottle Island is a primitive version of an Ring Web Seastead structure without the technological basis to apply the common denominator of “total flexibiity” in a safe sustainable way.
The “Kontiki Raft” was only “somewhat seaworthy” in the pacific, because it was built out of ridged balsa logs tied together and not like the “koncreaky” which we effectionatly called her—a totally seaworthy sailing raft of the same dimensions built from flexible rubber scrap tire “logs” of the same length and diameter and filled with plastic waste which “creaked” all the time on our way from Key West to Norfolk Virginia.
The paradigm shift you mention is of course the issue here—we need to evolve from the heavy solid ridged structures by which we measure structrual integrity in a dynamic fluid environment into light totally flexible structures upon which to build a safe Seastead habitat. The Ring-Web Technology provides for the first time in history the technological parameters to accomplish this. Let alone to provide any aspiring Seastead pioneer anywhere in the world with the know-how and raw product (scrap tire Up-cycle system) to actually start building one for free. As i indicated already, should the T.S.I. have any money left over to spend on a real life Seastead project i would be willing and able to build a pilot project Seastead using the Ring-Web system anywhere in the world. which could, given a minimum of professional P.R. management and project documentation, provide the Seastead movement with an inspirational international image of the true pioneer spirit, which i believe is increasingly missing, yet desperately needed to accomplish our common goal.

(Gerd Weiland) #118

The basic Ring-Web principle is that all 4 ring bands are locked together to form a segment–now all you need is to explore are the different sequences of inter-locking the ring-bands together in ratio 1 to 4. Its quite amazing how difficult you seem to find it to turn off your computer and try ring weaving in real life. As i have repeatedly suggested, this would enable you to very easily comprehend the questions you are constantly asking because the Ring-web knowledge requires a third dimension which your P.C. dunna have but even cowboys surely understand. No insult intended.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #119

@ringupcycle | Gerd, i understand now… you are the Weiland of this artice
Can you share a picture of Kon-Creaky…?

found it:

Modular Extension | Connectors | Cellular expansion | Building Technology
(Gerd Weiland) #120

This assumption is not correct spark, it is much more easy to weave a two dimensional sheet first, then join the two opposing sides together in the desired diameter, thereby creating a tube which can be then extended into any length from either end. Ring-Weave on my friend.

(.) #121

I got the bicycle tire inter tube, and I have a scissor.

(.) #122

I thought about it more, and I think that is correct.
It is easier to make a sheet and roll it into a tube.