Used car tires and some pioneer spirit

(.) #83

I just try to draw something. Tire belts could be connected like this also.ringofhands

Image is from: https://www.artmolds.com/hand-ring-1/

(.) #84

And after that, this comes to my mind:

(images is from: https://www.artmolds.com/hand-ring-1/)

(.) #85

After this. This flat, plain, sheet, two dimensional matrix could be rolled into a tube.
And the whole weaving could be started to form the tube instead of a sheet.
The tube can be woven indefinitely, it is just question of tires and space.

With so many tries, fire hazard comes to my mind. There is no fire hazard for these
under water.

(.) #86

And plenty of potential.

(Ali) #87

Dear @Matias i agree with you to use concrete hull for floating structures. I have some ideas to use prestressing force for the walls of the concrete hull to make them thinner

(Kim Cowdroy) #88

Spark, That is clever.

It dispenses with the need for the rods. Though it obviously has holes that restricts use in directly holding in the PET Plastic bottles.

However it might be used as a second external layer for extra support for a large module say, or where ballast like gravel for instance, is placed in the bottom of a module to give extra stability.

Two or three layers of this with some plugging of the holes with tire lashings may be enough to restrict PET bottles from drifting off or pushing through the top and sides, or maybe use of non-perishable plastic sheet internally.

(.) #89

Hello Cowboy;

Thank you for the analysis. Any ideas of your own?

(Kim Cowdroy) #90

I think most on this site would agree that concrete of one form or another is the preferred base for seasteads.

However, I also think that a system which has free raw materials and is more easily put together, should be considered in the mix.

(Kim Cowdroy) #91

I thought a little further on your tire pattern, and how the holes could be plugged.

Firstly, looking at the original pattern with the rods, we can consider the tires to be in four quarters, with a 4 x 4 pattern with 16 spaces. In each space there are two tires folded over which is four tire walls, and there are eight tires.

Spark, in your pattern, in any 4 x 4 selection, there are 13 spaces with tires double folded plus 3 holes to make up the 16 spaces (6.5 tires). At thirteen sixteenths it is a good coverage, especially considering there are no rods, which would be the main raw material cost in constructing the seastead/island base.

To give a clearer idea of what it would look like, I have drawn up the pattern, assuming the length of the stretched tire is about 1 metre, and tire width is 20 centimetres so as to have some working space between the tires. The holes are fairly small.

The pattern is as follows. I have placed yellow strips on the edges of the tires to make the weaving easier to see.

(.) #92

Excellent. I like it a lot. This is what I wanted; a computer image simulation before the buid.
Thank you Sir!

(.) #93

IMG_20180111_192538IMG_20180111_192546IMG_20180111_192552IMG_20180111_192602

(Kim Cowdroy) #94

There are a number of possibilities regarding the holes:

a) Have two layers of this pattern superimposed over one another.

b) Weave a single tire through what would become two holes as part of the weaving process. Once weaving is completed, insert extra tires internally through these, and then use tire strips to help hold in place.

c) Weave two tires through each hole perpendicular to each other.

d) After the base is created, add two perpendicular tires internally over each hole and connect them to the wall using tire strips.

e) After the base is created, weave lengths of tires slipped together like a long rope, in and out of adjacent holes in a line.

f) Push actual tires into the holes from the inside, possibly with tire or lashing through the tire middle to hold in place.

g) Use floatable styrene concrete blocks placed over the holes and strapped to the wall.

h) On the bottom section place large bags of gravel inside that would cover the holes, while providing ballast.

i) Leave the holes open at the bottom, but once it is in the water, and the plastic bottles float up with the tire section down, put extra plastic bottles through the holes to fill the bottom of the cavity. Attach cubes of gravel to the bottom, using the holes to secure with tire ropes, and then lashings to secure the cubes over the holes.

Just to consider the possibilities, I will show the first two in this list.

(Kim Cowdroy) #95

Spark, Please note I have placed this model, including the second method of plugging the holes in the Sketchup 3D Warehouse called “Seastead Tire Wall”.

There are a number of components and groups, and they have been placed in layers, so someone can play around with it easily enough.

(Kim Cowdroy) #96

Two Layer model

With two layers, if they are positioned correctly then there is a half tire width between holes in the internal layer versus the external layer. The layers can be tied together with tire strips to keep the layers in line. The strips can be chained together so do not have to have any knots that could come undone.

Showing internal layer on top.

With external layer partially covering the internal layer.

(Kim Cowdroy) #97

Plugged Holes One Extra Weaved Tire

The second method in the list above is shown here.

Note again, that I have placed this model in the Sketchup 3D Warehouse called “Seastead Tire Wall”.

This second method has a base weaved with the extra tires shown in orange/yellow ie weaved in at the same time. These each go through two holes. Because they are weaved in they cannot come adrift ordinarily.

The next step is to add the tire sections (in red to distinguish them) internally through these added walls, in order to further cover the holes.

Using tire strips (not shown) looped together, the red tires can be attached to the wall by looping over the red tires and threading through a hole and up another hole to loop over the adjacent red tire.

Also using tire strips (in blue) looped together, firstly it is looped over a red tire before the tire loop head so it cannot come off, and threaded through the blue tire and on to the adjacent blue tire. Then looped around the next one and back through another. This is shown looped around again.

The loop at the end after being threaded through the last of the four blue tires is then slipped over the required times to make it sufficiently tight and rolled down over the head of the blue tire to hold the rope in place without any knots.

And lastly from underneath looking at what would be the external part of the wall.

(.) #98

Increasing the quality of complexity:

(Images from: https://www.artmolds.com/hand-ring-1/)

(and the 5 hands from: https://www.123rf.com/photo_496350_a-ring-of-hands-joined-to-form-a-teamwork-theme.html)

3 4 5
6 8 12

(.) #99

And to roll the “wall” into a “tube”.

(.) #100

The way , a soccer ball is made of pentagons and hexagons:
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Soccer_ball.svg)

ball

may be the “wall” can be wrapped into a sphere by using and alternating
the 3, 4, 5, 6 hand, or band connections.

(Gerd Weiland) #101

dear sir…i am pleased to see such creative developments in this forum which use the Ring Weave principle to create hollow bodies of rubber steel reinforced and most importantly totally flexible homogeneous structures which are able to absorb wave action on the outer perimeter and provide a stable center for habitat construction. However i think you would be well served to actually leave your P.C. by the side for a while and actually cut a used bicycle inner tube into slices(1 to 4) with which you can create by hand other forms of ring woven structures which do not resemble the perforated finish your present designs are limited too. (and share some actual real life photos as i have already done) Hey this could prove to be a lot of fun even for a cowboy. I could share the methodology with you but i believe it would be more beneficial if you all work this out by yourselves. Needless to say you can design Ring woven structures which have no perforations at all and provide a closed surface which will contain any internal plastic PET bottle or compressed compacted plastic refuse displacement. None of which will suffer UV degradation if, so-with sheltered from direct sunlight. This, dare i mention once again, provides the Seastead pioneer with a simple affordable technological principle to actually build a safe floating Seastead foundation and contribute to a revolutionary Up-cycle System which will benefit the environment in general and your local municiple waste management in particular. Ring weave on.

(Gerd Weiland) #102

Spark please try and build your own real life models using rubber inner tubes which represent scale models and will serve you far better to understand the huge potencial to serve the Seastead dream we all share.