Used car tires and some pioneer spirit

(Gerd Weiland) #42

hello spark i see that some interest has evolved concerning the principle of ring weaving closed rings together as indicated in your photo–whereby this simple form of “ring weaving” should only be used to Up-cycle the side walls of any scrap tire. The side wall does not contain a steel mesh but a synthetic textile which is easily cut. The steel reinforced tire tread however is the “ring-band” required to apply the Ring-Weave principle as i have described on this web site forum many times already, and should never be cut. Any scrap tire side-wall may be sectioned into two separate rip proof (Geo-textile reinforced) rubber ring-bands and one rubber enclosed thick steel Rim-ring which is most suitable for High Tensile strength steel-ring chains which can be woven as pictured to any length. I have a German research paper which examined the toxicological impact of submerged scrap tires in salt or sweet water environment. The leaching characteristics of a used automobile tire in a fluid environment was comprehensively and scientifically evaluated. These tests showed conclusively that there are no harmful quantities of toxic chemicals or trace elements leached by submerged scrap tires in a salt or sweet water environment. The Osborne Reef fiasco became an “environmental disaster” not because of the environmental incompatibility of submerged used tires, but because the Up-cycled copper tel wire which was used to interconnect the thousands of scrap tire used for this artificial reef project were cut away for scrap salvage by some underwater environmental scuba terrorists to make a quick buck. The consequence being thousands of scrap tires spoiling the holiday beaches of ft Lauderdale Florida. This misery would have never happened if that artificial reef had been constructed using the ring-weave principle. The positive compatibility of submerged used tires with a wide spectrum of marine life has been extensively documented. An additional reason to consider the obvious advantages of Up-cycling this FREE Raw Product for future offshore Seastead construction.

(Larry G) #43

That’s interesting. Every news article I have seen said the tire reef fastenings failed. I have not seen any reports that the material was looted.

(Gerd Weiland) #44

Indeed an automobile tire does by heating up during normal use, leach significant toxic residual dust particles on the road side which is then washed unfiltered into the ground water or at best channeled into water management systems. This fact of course is largely ignored by the EPA as they would have to close down most highways as a result of abiding by environmental protection laws. The only “good Tire” is a scrap tire which is directly Up-cycled into a new product–sic–Ring-woven as i have portrayed in detail–ding ding

(.) #45

Thank you ringupcycle (Gerd Weiland)!

I have similar perception about the ‘ring weaving’, ‘side wall’, and ‘ring band’.
The easiest way to process the tires is to only cut the side wall, not to cut
the ring band, and to use the ring bands for ring weaving.

I am glad you mentioned all these.

I suspected all those facts you mentioned about the environmental studies.
I did not know about the ‘underwater environmental scuba terrorists’.

It is interesting that tires are more toxic during intended use, and less toxic upon
disposal.

Using the ring weaving technique could provide lots of buoys, that would interact
as a breakwater system, as Bob Dohse mentioned it.

Thank you again, and best regards;

spark

(Gerd Weiland) #46

Dear spark, thank you for your constructive response. However i am at a loss as to why no one on this forum has managed to recognize the huge significance that the Ring-Weave principle represents for the Seastead movement to evolve beyond an entertaining forum for part time futurists. How is it possible that no one is able to adopt this novel engineering (ring-weave principle) which not only provides the structural parameters to actually construct offshore floating platforms which are capable of surviving in this environment (certainly way more constructive options than you mentioned as buoys ect) but perhaps just as important, a cheap if not free raw product to work with. Let alone the obviouse advantage of combining this revolutionary waste disposal (ring-weave technology) concept with a grass roots Seastead initiative which benefits the local community and our environment. Once again Ring-Weaving the tire treads of scrap tires (rubber enclosed steel reinforced Ring-bands) enables the simple construction of totally flexible hollow structures of any shape or size. Only muscle power a carpet knife and ring weave knowledge is required for anyone willing to get their hands dirty. The photo examples you use DO NOT depict the ring weave principle, which requires the alternative sequence of connecting these scrap tire ring bands together by alternatively enveloping and penertrating each other. 4 ring-bands are needed to create a ring link which can be extended into any direction–just try to practice with a sliced bicycle inner tube (4to1) before you answer.

(.) #47

Hi ringupcycle (Gerd Weiland) ;

There are silent members on this forum.
I also post on a yahoo group Internet space. I got a positive feedback from a person who also
writes posts here on TSI.

I think, the ‘ring-weave’ principle is a significant one for seasteading. It is also significant for
other land base use. The Osborne reef experience could have been a very positive one, if
they would had used the ring-weave principle.

The price of used tires are right. (free). I see some of them as litter. I have intention to clean
it up by using those tires. It is good for the neighborhood too. I do not have a space for any
structures yet. There is plenty space for it in the ocean. The good thing is, that these tires
are not a fire hazard under water, in the ocean.

It is not exactly clear to me the whole ring weave knowledge. I understand that one ring can
connect to more than one other ring to make a two dimensional extension of the structure.

I like three dimensional puzzles, and this is a cheap one. I will post more pictures.

I appreciate the information and guidance.

Best regards;

spark

(.) #48

May be others want to follow the information too.
The way I understand it:

the (rubber enclosed steel reinforced Ring-bands):

This is a broken ring, but it illustrates the rubber enclosure of steel reinforcement.

(.) #49

Another picture about steel in rubber:

(.) #50

One ring connects more than one or two other rings:

(.) #52

. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/23/Bridgestone_tire_cross_section.png

cartirestructure1

(.) #53

. http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/suspension/wheels/tires/beadairleak/tirecutaway.gif

cartirestructure2

(.) #54

It would be nice to reopen the FAD topic.

(.) #55

One of the pyrolysis end product of used car tires is the steel belt.
That could be used as wire mash for building ferrocement boats.

(Larry G) #56

Link? I don’t think it is locked.

(.) #57

Great. I’ll go find it.
On a second thought: nevermind.

(.) #58

Sadly I read this statement from JL_Frusha about his condition, disclosed by himself, in another topic. (Exit on Moral Grounds #13 on Dec 22 2017.)

Attacking a person as mentally defective, on basis of medical conditions, especially someone that has had to battle stroke-related dementia, coming back from that Alzheimer’s like darkness, to where I am now is not something to make light of.

This is the reason I do not want to get into an argument with him about tires, asbestos, rust, tetanus, break pads … etc

I hope JL will feel better soon.

(Gerd Weiland) #59

Dear spark–happy New Year–have been otherwise engaged until now and wish to honor your inquisitive nature and consistent experimentation on the subject of Ring-Weave Technology. As you seem to be the only person on this forum who is able to recognize the huge potential behind this scrap tire Upcycle innovation in providing the engineering prerequisite for any kind of offshore Seastead construction. This forums persistent preoccupation with expensive inflexible concrete structures, using design parameters completely unsuited for the proposed offshore application, is totally exasperating to anyone with a minimum of nautical offshore experience beyond towing barges. Quite apart from this elitist assumption that only large amounts of money can ensure a realistic hope of actually manifesting the seastead future dream. The slow but deliberate tendency of your decade old forum to promote ever more “laptop” seastead developments within the sheltered inland waters of existing island nations is utterly pathetic and demeaning of the original intensions to provide the Seastead pioneer with such engineering innovations that enable affordable safe offshore existential freedoms beyond the national jurisdictions. This lamentable development clearly reflects the inadequacy of all current seastead design parameters and their engineering limitations in fulfilling this fundamental goal. Total flexibility through an inexpensive homogenous steel reinforced rubber Ring Woven structure instead of expensive ridged concrete blocks which in the sizes proposed cannot maintain structural integrity when interconnected in a fluid dynamic environment. The Ring-Weave structures can be extended into any size or volume at any time on or off shore and are increasingly stable the larger they evolve. Scrap tires have been recovered from sunken ships after over 70 years of being submerged without any material degradation whatsoever. Ring-Web Seasteads can be built by inexperienced people with only a carpet knife and muscle power. Scrap tires are a very cheap (if not free) raw product and provide a perfect and mutually beneficial interaction between the seastead pioneer and the local waste disposal municipality. Each hollow structure floatation achieved through plastic Upcycle internal displacement. Ring-Web rubber platforms represent indestructible floating foundations for a multitude of seastead designs which can be positioned in the center of an ever expanding surface area /volume with increasing stability. The outer floating rim surface area will dampen wave action and provide an efficient energy source through simple mechanical hydraulic conversion. Enough said here are a few photos with which you can work with and hopefully inspire others to lend a hand–

projekt3geflechtreifenschemahohlkoerper2

(Larry G) #60

Ahhh, genius is never appreciated in its own day.

As these pathetic, inadequate others are clearly incapable of recognizing the sheer genius involved, it is only fitting that they are excluded from the inevitable benefit accruing to your project. I shall forthwith contact my associates among Nigerian Royalty to take up a collection to defray expenses associated with maintaining security at your hollowed-out volcano lair in order to promote this incredible up-cycled scrap tire innovation.

:rofl:

Or we could, you know, collaborate via this forum as each individual’s interest level dictates their participation in this interesting experiment, without arrogance and pomposity.

(.) #61

Dear Mr. Weiland;

Happy New Year!
I copy that. I already copied the pictures. I am planning to copy some structures too.
Thank you for the idea and for the pictures.

Best regards;

spark

(.) #62

More thoughts about the upcycle ring weave technology:

Hehe, well I would not have thought.
I did think about making rubber band links and twisting 3 of them together.
I did think about cutting the rims in a spiral about 2 cm wide and making a long rubber rope,
and weaving many of those into a mat. I did cut one rim into a spiral rubber rope, and I got
it about 5 m length.

Rig weaving is certainly a unique idea. I did search the web many times about new ways
of using old car tires, and I did not find anything close to the ring weaving idea.
Thank you for disclosing it.

The other ideas of seastead designs may be deliberately so. I cannot believe that everything is
disclosed about the plans. Vertical walls and rectangular windows are a ‘no go’ in an open ocean
environment, in my opinion.

But, ‘let the ocean tell’.

It is the ‘open ocean liberty’ that appeals to me.

Used tires are good materials. It could be ‘more than free’. There is a built in disposal charge
in the sale of each tire. This charge is payed by the customer at the time of purchase. Someone gets it upon disposal. That money goes with politics. Just like CO2 emissions and absorptions in general.