Used car tires and some pioneer spirit

They said it was used in various rubber compounds… Use a mask and take a few simple precautions. I’m not saying '“do not cut old tires”, just suggesting you take reasonable precation measures to protect yourself and others.

(.) #22

Asbestos in tires would pose a significant risk to the public, (imho)
because tires wear away. During the process of use, tire particles come off
the tire and form dust or smoke. Where do these dust and smoke particles go
during routine use of these tires? Probably on the road as dust, and in the air
as dust. Are car tires a public health hazard? How come so many of them are
used? 260 million tires a year. Hmmm. I am still alive. Something does not add up.

(.) #23

Thank you for your concern. Can I have a cigarette? Was it good for you?

I suppose you’re also unaware asbestos is still used in brake-pads, as well.

You can sure be an ass when you try. I was suggesting using reasonable precautions and you chose to get insulting about it.

(.) #25

No thank you. I do not need pads.

(Larry G) #26

Perhaps if they’re using a highly mechanized high-speed grinding process. I highly doubt that cutting up a used tire with a band saw, hand-held reciprocating saw, or shears would disperse any significant amount of dust. But many tasks can benefit from using a dust mask, it is true.

Mostly people dealing with old school technology, moving/worn parts, belts, clutches, etc. Understandable. Still far less problem than for people involved in manufacturing parts with asbestos components, and still vastly over-hyped.

Asbestosis is one of those things that simply gets everybody riled up and is a rallying cry for lottery-like liability compensation over-awarded by juries. In the past, there were many unsafe conditions, and many companies that felt no duty to protect the health of workers. There are still probably many companies that don’t care about their workers. There are many that do. Arguably, one’s health is primarily one’s own concern and we have many choices to make in life. Some of them are hard choices without any really awesomely great alternatives to choose from.

Personally, I am not all that concerned about used tires killing the earth, but I am not really jazzed about lots of used tires hanging around either. I would like to see more efficient recycling of tires, including pyrolisis/fuel manufacturing or something of the sort. I note that all the warning caveats about used tires cite a lack of hard data. The “precautionary principle” is a well-known fallacy of the anti-science left.

Evidently, I had it backwards. It’s worse for freshwater, than saltwater…

Current research at Bucknell University indicates that rubber leachate from car tires can kill entire aquatic
communities of algae, zooplankton, snails, and fish. At lower concentrations, the leachates cause
reproductive problems and precancerous lesions. A similar study exploring the use of tires as artificial
reef substrates also found rubber leachate to negatively affect the survival of various seaweeds and
phytoplankton. Marine and other saline environments are less sensitive to tire leachates, however, and the
greatest threat of contamination appears to be to freshwater habitats.
Part of the toxic nature of rubber leachate is due to its mineral content: aluminum, cadmium, chromium,
copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, molybdenum, selenium, sulfur, and zinc have all been identified in
laboratory and field leachates. If rubber products have been exposed to contaminants during their useful
lifetime, such as lead or other heavy metals, they will adsorb these metals and release them as well. Of
these minerals, rubber contains very high levels of zinc – as much as 2% of the tire mass. A number of
plant species, including landscape materials, have been shown to accumulate abnormally high levels of
zinc sometimes to the point of death. One USDA researcher who has studied zinc and other metals in
soils and plant materials for decades strongly believes that ground rubber should not be used “in any
composting, or in any potting medium, or casually dispersed on agricultural or garden soils” because of
zinc toxicity. Acidic soils and aquatic systems are particularly sensitive, since heavy metals and other
positively charged elements are less tightly bound to the soil and more available to plant and animal
uptake.
Rubber leachates are complex solutions. They include not only the minerals and organic building blocks
of rubber, but also various plasticizers and accelerators used during the vulcanizing process. In high
enough concentrations, some of these rubber leachates are known to be harmful to human health; effects
of exposure range from skin and eye irritation to major organ damage and even death. Long term
exposure can lead to neurological damage, carcinogenesis, and mutagenesis.
Some of these materials break down quickly, while others are known to bioaccumulate. One of the more
common rubber leachates is 2-mercaptobenzothiazole, a common accelerator for rubber vulcanization. In
addition to its known human health concerns, it is highly persistent in the environment and very toxic to
aquatic organisms: its environmental persistence may cause long-term damage to aquatic environments
constantly exposed to rubber leachates. Another family of organic leachates under scrutiny are the
polyaromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). These compounds, used as rubber softeners and fillers, have been
repeatedly demonstrated to be toxic to aquatic life. PAHs are released continually into solution, and after
two years in a laboratory test leachates were shown to be even more toxic than at the study’s inception.

(.) #29

One tire cut in half into two loops and linked together:

(.) #30

Two tires cut in half loops and the four loops linked together:

(.) #31

I would like to post smaller pictures.

Better. I figured out the editing part.

(.) #32

(.) #33

tire04

(.) #34

Progress: I cut four loop from one tire. And than I cut another tire into
four loops. Ending up with eight loops and four rims.

(.) #35

I do not use the rims yet.

(.) #36

I linked the eight loops together, like a rubber band link:

(.) #37

(Larry G) #38

So the next step would be testing tensile strength and expansion parameters…

(.) #39

Yes, I thought about that to see how much weight(force) it can handle
and how much would it expand. I am still looking for other methods to cut the
tires.

This is not the main project. This is just a decoy.

(.) #40

One possible direction is used car tires. Others did it.
It is not necessary the only way to make mooring lines.

One of the possible ways to slice these old tires to loop is cutting
the tire around as deep as the steel wire mash allows it, then to corrode
the wire mash at the cut with some corrosive liquid (like seawater)
Seawater might be corrosive enough, or double salinity seawater, obtained by
evaporation of water from seawater. And finally by electric corrosion and the
combination of seawater. A solar panel with 12V DC and seawater, to make the
wire mash in the rubber as an electrode, and the electrode would be exposed to the
electrolyte solution and to the other electrode through the electrolyte solution at the
incision site of the rubber. That would complete the circuit. Polarity might be important.
After the wire mash has been corroded through, just to continue cutting through
the rest of the rubber with a knife. That would be a low tech, low tool requirement.
I guess, or something like that.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/aquaticlifestyle/conversations/topics/149

I love your exploratory spirit, @spark.

Keep up the good work. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: