Used car tires and some pioneer spirit

(Gerd Weiland) #150

dear spark i can see by the models you present that you need to slice the inner tube more exactly to a proportion 1 to 4–you will get the hang of it with practice. Also try not to over lock the individual ring bands as this results in a ring band deformation, resulting in the open space being irregular which can be confusing and will not happen if you use the steel reinforced scrap tire tread–these scale models after all should be applicable to the real thing so to say. So try and ring weave more carefully please.

(Gerd Weiland) #151

dear nobox, if you were to take the trouble to actually read about the subject of Steel reinforced and totally flexible rubber floating Seastead foundations as many people on this forum have done, you would, given a little fantasy and engineering competence, be able to understand that these structures do not sway back and forth and throw things off the table as would happen on a ridged platform but dampen all lateral movement and only move vertically up and down. Your bottle of beer would stand stable on your table and not spill on your pants in disgust.

(.) #153

This was practice #1.

(.) #154

DSCF0108a

The tube with is approximately 3.75 cm.
3.75 cm / 4 = 0.9375 cm

(it is decimal point, not decimal comma) (But it is still metric.)

(.) #155

DSCF0112a

(.) #156

DSCF0113a

(Gerd Weiland) #158

my pleasure entirely nobox, your cartoon analogy is quite amusing and if i could break the laws of physics towards a safe NOT nuclear power plant you bet i would do so. Needless to say your landlubber based reasoning of fluid dynamics is confusing you old bean. The ability of totally flexible structures floating on water to absorb wave action can be easily reproduced and confirmed in your bath tub with a piece of thin foam rubber mattress. You will clearly see that sideways wave energy is redirected towards the center into a vertical motion. Now if you take the time to Ring weave bicycle inner tubes as scale models for tire tread rubber ring-bands as sparky is already doing and stuff the sodden foam rubber underneath then nobox you will never need to consult duckduckgo to educate yourself in this regard ever again. Ring-Weave on.

(Gerd Weiland) #159

This is NOT ring weaving

(noboxes) #160

So it’s like living in a bounce house or on a waterbed!

Umm, no, thanks.

(noboxes) #161

Odd, i made so many rings, and then wove them together.

(Gerd Weiland) #162

This is very much better spark and represents the geometry you will encounter if you substitute with scrap tire treads. This is very important once you develop additional weaving technology. The clear geometrical models will enable you to progress into three dimensional shapes beyond the tube. Try a variation of the weave sequence and you will be well rewarded. Ring weave on.

(Gerd Weiland) #163

what on earth is a bounce house–even though that sounds appealing to me–i would rather bounce than crash

(noboxes) #164

It’s like a waterbed, but has low pressure air in it. Kids tend to love them, for short amounts of time. It’s the opposite of stable.

Perhaps someone with a waterbed can set a small table in the middle, and two chairs, try to eat a meal and let us know how it went. Or post a video of it to youtube.

(bill mapezzi) #165

image I found the thread. This one LOOKS much quicker to assemble than the weave…Plus you can get rid of all the sidewalls an tires too small to link by just passing the “tire chain” through them. These were too hard to form, or just uglier than hell?

See where the knot is formed? You can loosen it a bit and stuff another tire (the longest ones) through it to branch off from.I’m goint to order a 10 pack of blades for my sawzall…

We could put the biggest fattest ones into floating tubes (multiple same sizes). Use only the perfect close sizes for weaves, much nicer to walk on, and dangle everything else (including sidewalls) hodgepodge into linked ropes/nets. I’m imagining 10 minutes minimum to cut through a tread all the way around. That like 5$/hr with breaks included. Maybe a machine in a minute or so - a big press with a heavy guillotine blade?

(noboxes) #166

Spark was weaving a boat. What are you weaving?

The guillotine blade need not be heavy, or even very large. I’d guess 300lbs plus whatever is making the actuating force.

(bill mapezzi) #167

weaving…multidimensional word there. I guess the largest, cheapest, 100% seaworthy “private yachts” that can be assembled at sea, including an extensive network of safety equipment. ie floating gangplanks, anchors, rodes, wave dampening arrays, and “sea brakes”. In essence a mobile seastead, completely off grid,non registered, non commercial, and minimally regulated.

just gravity/chain block. 300 lbs seams a good estimate.

(.) #168

I also had an idea of modular boat building: the jenga boat:

and:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/9c70e27b-83ea-4188-96b1-7fda8be9c5df/jengaboat01

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AquaticLifestyle/conversations/messages/125

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AquaticLifestyle/conversations/messages/109

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AquaticLifestyle/conversations/messages/107

(bill mapezzi) #169

Cool. A monohull design for “tire tubes”. Seems to be plenty of supporting information that superglue will bond tires together at greater than material strength of the tires themselves. Just have to keep it from getting wet, Maybe a line of cyanoacrylate filled with rubber dust in the middle of two lines of marine adhesive caulk.The jenga model could be a 120L ft x 20W ft x 3 1/2D mini tire hauling cargo ship. Your model disappeared before I got done converting blocks into tires… but it was around 2000 tires, and could haul 5000 more used tires, 4500 of them already cut into treads and side walls on shore. Maybe it would be better at 180 ft. 4500 tires and could haul 11,250 tires, same draft.That is still feasible to load in one night. Maybe Bolsa Chica channel, I’ll park next to side of railing on sunset bridge and roll them off the truck you pick them up downstream (outgoing tide). Very quiet at night there, no questions. Its a dead end into the closed at night marina silp rental office. 4 trips back and forth to a self storage a few miles away. Actually channel is probably wide enough to toss them right down onto the ship.

(bill mapezzi) #170

(system) #171

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.