Used car tires and some pioneer spirit

(Gerd Weiland) #114

The size of the module has no effect on the structrual integrity of the material involved which if you take the time to actually build by hand a scale model as i repeatedly suggested with sliced bicycle inner tubes (you do NOT need to use scrap tire treads to practice this) you would see that each Ring-Web structure consists of 4 layers of (steel reinforced) rubber bands which can be woven into any 2 and 3 dimensional structures. These Ring-Web structures DO NOT require connecting rods and therefor are much stronger than those that do.

(Gerd Weiland) #115

Indeed as i allready indicated and which is shown on the photos i presented there are three Ring Weave design variations, all of which use the same Ring-Weave principle, of which only one incorperates an empty space. Each design variation ensures specific mechanical properties to address the application requirements.

(Kim Cowdroy) #116

Looking back more carefully through the photos I can now see in one that there is a structure that does not require rods, and is based on a Outer/Inner/Inner/Outer set up for each tire, and has no holes and is structurally sound.

It was not obvious to me, and I have to admit I got the wrong impression that you were only proposing rods to connect each 4 x 4 set of tires.

Still not sure what you mean by a Ring-Weave principle. Is this the Outer/Inner/Outer/inner set up of a tire for the 4 x 4 set of tires with a rod to connect the adjacent set of tires, or is it the Outer/inner/inner/Outer tire set up I mentioned above, or do you consider these to be the same ie a 4 to 1 ratio tire that is interweaved?

(Gerd Weiland) #117

Indeed the Rici Sowa Bottle Island is a primitive version of an Ring Web Seastead structure without the technological basis to apply the common denominator of “total flexibiity” in a safe sustainable way.
The “Kontiki Raft” was only “somewhat seaworthy” in the pacific, because it was built out of ridged balsa logs tied together and not like the “koncreaky” which we effectionatly called her—a totally seaworthy sailing raft of the same dimensions built from flexible rubber scrap tire “logs” of the same length and diameter and filled with plastic waste which “creaked” all the time on our way from Key West to Norfolk Virginia.
The paradigm shift you mention is of course the issue here—we need to evolve from the heavy solid ridged structures by which we measure structrual integrity in a dynamic fluid environment into light totally flexible structures upon which to build a safe Seastead habitat. The Ring-Web Technology provides for the first time in history the technological parameters to accomplish this. Let alone to provide any aspiring Seastead pioneer anywhere in the world with the know-how and raw product (scrap tire Up-cycle system) to actually start building one for free. As i indicated already, should the T.S.I. have any money left over to spend on a real life Seastead project i would be willing and able to build a pilot project Seastead using the Ring-Web system anywhere in the world. which could, given a minimum of professional P.R. management and project documentation, provide the Seastead movement with an inspirational international image of the true pioneer spirit, which i believe is increasingly missing, yet desperately needed to accomplish our common goal.

(Gerd Weiland) #118

The basic Ring-Web principle is that all 4 ring bands are locked together to form a segment–now all you need is to explore are the different sequences of inter-locking the ring-bands together in ratio 1 to 4. Its quite amazing how difficult you seem to find it to turn off your computer and try ring weaving in real life. As i have repeatedly suggested, this would enable you to very easily comprehend the questions you are constantly asking because the Ring-web knowledge requires a third dimension which your P.C. dunna have but even cowboys surely understand. No insult intended.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #119

@ringupcycle | Gerd, i understand now… you are the Weiland of this artice
Can you share a picture of Kon-Creaky…?

found it:

Modular Extension | Connectors | Cellular expansion | Building Technology
(Gerd Weiland) #120

This assumption is not correct spark, it is much more easy to weave a two dimensional sheet first, then join the two opposing sides together in the desired diameter, thereby creating a tube which can be then extended into any length from either end. Ring-Weave on my friend.

(.) #121

I got the bicycle tire inter tube, and I have a scissor.

(.) #122

I thought about it more, and I think that is correct.
It is easier to make a sheet and roll it into a tube.

(Gerd Weiland) #123

Dear Wilfried, if you wish to view an entertaining if somewhat inconclusive portrayal of the Kon-Creaky, my brother Klaus Weiland combined a video documentation of us sailing up a stretch of the ICW on our way north, with a musical called i believe “Klaus Weiland the eco-raft adventure” which you can see on U-Tube.

(Kim Cowdroy) #124

For the record, I think the tire pattern shown in an earlier photo of Gerd’s, could be started something like the following three steps.

And a couple of views of a more complete wall.

Now, if I only had a bicycle in the house …

(.) #125

https://www.cdtfa.ca.gov/taxes-and-fees/ca-tire-fee-faq.htm

What is the tire fee?

The California Tire Fee is a fee imposed upon the purchase of a new tire. The California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA) administers the program on behalf of the Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) and the California Air Resources Board (ARB). For additional information, please visit Cal Recycle’s web page.

What is the current tire fee rate?

The tire fee is set in statute (Public Resources Code section 42885). The current rate can be viewed on CDTFA’s website. It is important for you to keep your account current with CDTFA as you will be notified if the rate changes.

https://www.cdtfa.ca.gov/taxes-and-fees/tax-rates-stfd.htm#tirefee

California Tire Fee

Effective Date

Rate Per New Tire

January 1, 2005 – Present $1.75
January 1, 2001 $1.00
January 1, 1997

Just in case you wanted to know. It is collected: the money.

(California = State of California, USA)

(.) #126

http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/tires/Info/

Some written stuff copied from a web site:

Each of us can do something to help avert potential problems caused by more than 40 million worn or damaged tires replaced each year in California, not to mention the millions already stockpiled at waste tire facilities or illegally dumped in alleys and by roadsides throughout the state.

40 million tires per year with a “tire fee” of $1.75 per tire = $ 70 million per year.

(Gerd Weiland) #127

Well blow me down, i am so very glad that you spark and a few others seem to be opening up to the incredible potential behind combining this Ring Weave revolutionary Up-cycle System for scrap tires, which provide at the very least a free raw product for Seastead pioneers to work with. Let alone the revolutionary technological break-through that this proven Ring-Web Technology represents in providing a cheap and sustainable floating foundation upon which to build safe and sustainable floating Seastead structures.
An affordable method of building secure offshore islands which can be progressively expanded into virtually unlimited dimensions by the offshore Seastead pioneers themselves with just muscle power and simple tools. Light weight totally flexible structures which progressivly dampen wave action proportionately to size.
The Seastead movement could become synonymous with this environmentally responsible waste management Ring-Web System and provide a hugely valuable cooperation with the land based society we all wish to become independent of and a future offshore Seastead community, which we all aspire too. This important development would be mutually beneficial to all participants involved, let alone our common environment. Ring Weave on my friend.

(.) #128

Hello Mr. Weiland;

I think, the ring weave concept is an important one with and without used car tires.
Thank you for calling attention to the used car tires idea and to the ring weave
technology.
The used car tires technology is a bit dependent on shore technology.
I think, seasteading and landlubber lifestyle can coexist peacefully.

I think, this ring weaving is going to be one of my hobbies.

Thank you again, and more later;

Best regards;

spark

(.) #130

I understand that your belief is “oosing oil”.
Can you support your idea with some references please?

(.) #132

Now here we are going into the same subject as frusha.
The articles say “tire debris leachate”, not oil. How is “oozing” defined?
Used tires are on cars too, and they heat up, and they go in rainwater.
Particles wear away from tires. Where do those go? How come those particles
are no concern of oozing oil?

And the causative agent of tetanus is the Clostidium tetani bacterium and not ion oxide (rust)

Saltwater does not leach as much as fresh water.

You can write but you cannot weave the rings.
I will show pictures of tire rings that I weave myself, and you can write whatever you want,
because I see no oil oozing.

(.) #133

Can you change a bicycle tire?

(.) #134

And by the way, I am not in the State of Florida, and I am not planning to go there.

USCG prefers what ever they prefer. And some marinas can do whatever they want.

Show some picture of what you can do. (if decent)

(Gerd Weiland) #135

Dear Spark, The Ring-Web Up-cycle Technology is not “dependent on shore technology” insomuch as the vast amounts of scrap tires already available world wide (over 750million a year) represents far more"raw product" than is needed to build any amount of floating Seasteads. A carpet knife will function as well offshore as on land. I have developed a simple modular construction methodology by which any Seastead floating island structure can be extended on or offshore, into any dimension over and underwater by hand. The required compacted plastic displacement within these floating Ring-Web structures can be profitably encorperated into a viable offshore retrieval system for the huge amounts of floatsam already available.
A service for which the future Seastead pioneer can generate additional financial support from the international community. The peaceful coexistence of a Seasteading or homesteading lifestyle is based on a mutually beneficial cooperation, sic; landlubbers need to get rid of old tires and currently pay a lot of money to do so and Seasteaders need those old tires to extend their offshore floating habitat and offer to Up-cycle the landlubber problem for a fraction of the cost. I hope one day you may be inspired to extend your hobby Ring-Web interest into a hands on Ring woven future Seastead reality.
best regards and Ring-Weave on