Urban Design Parmeters in a Seastead Environment

(Isabelle Cabrera) #21

At times, the solution can be found within the problem itself. Problems can possibly become a means to solve another problem. The of lack of education and poor quality which describes the typical condition of developing countries, it might as well be better to use this as an arm rather than a handicap. It has to be creatively done so with an out-of-the-box way of thinking in finding a solution. The solution or answer to this is one fundamental secret to be discovered. Given the scenario that one person knows that he is lacking in education, besides that fact that he has no means to obtain the same due to poverty and the bad environmental set-up, with meager mean to sustain daily needs; if the basic physical and physiological needs can be met, he would pursue presumably higher/intellectual needs… (Show study/ Maslow’s hierarchy of needs). The condition to meet the basic needs without monetary expense is in itself, an impossibility in this world as we know it. But intellectual needs can be met without any of the knowledge in existence being depleted a single bit. The notion that the more the person knows, the more he knows that he doesn’t know cannot be overstated. This is evident by the many of today’s population pursuing knowledge brought about by information ignited through access of the internet. Thus, a lot of DIY innovators are immerging. Countries are diverting towards a knowledge economy (provide basis). Developed countries are outsourcing industry and service sectors to developing countries while they pursue innovation and in research and development. Developing countries will thus, in turn become very busy to do the blue jobs handed over to them by the developed countries. It may give this a little surge from poverty but the consequences would be that such industries will produce detrimental wastes and these negative effects will be substantial as well. Researchers are as well very optimistic of its potentials not just because it creates a new realm and an addition to livable spaces but also because it offers huge financial possibilities through the emergence of new business opportunities and products that caters to new demands and a new life-style. As observed however, most of the case studies gathered are market-driven- knowing that any venture cannot advance without feasibility and study of financial returns and advantage. But it has to be put in mind that anything that is concerned with generation of money will inevitable cause inequality and exploitation- the very thing that is to be avoided as the moral imperative of this study. This will attempt to present a speculative statement, backed by supportive data and figure out how a “start-up” floating environment can come into existence without the need for huge capital investment through incremental approach.

(Isabelle Cabrera) #22

My foresight is it should begin as a research and development facility where all is invited (not exclusively for researchers and scientist) So it shall have a circular configuration or that which represents layers as follows

• first layer: University Artificial Floating City to have gates and portals to access second layer
• second layer: A laboratory where practical application, experimentation can be made-products can be distributed even outside –land-base.
• third layer: Recreation, social interaction, relaxation
• Fourth layer: Housing, common facility usage for and of basic subsistence such as food, shelter, clothing
• Common food center
In terms of Urban Design substance:
• Non-conventional walk and access pattern.
• Non-conventional material, permeable pavements, safety rails,
• Selective landscape and greeneries that could live in sea environment
• Cast shadows to minimize sun’s damaging effects
Very less physical access constraints being accessible from all sides. No consideration of topography, urban planners can design with endless posibilities

(Larry G) #23

A[quote=“Isabelle_Cabrera, post:21, topic:2461”]
But it has to be put in mind that anything that is concerned with generation of money will inevitable cause inequality and exploitation-
[/quote]

Let me differ with your opinion here. I agree with the first part- inequality is an unavoidable part of life. We are not born equal, we do not remain equal, and we cannot be made equal. That’s the beauty of being an individual.

Exploitation does not inevitably follow from this. I can be stronger than you without beating you physically. You can be smarter than me without cheating me. Bob can be richer than us without denying us access to the means to achieve wealth. The economic pie is expandable, not fixed size and your piece of it is only peripherally related to the size of mine. Life and the economy are plus sum, not zero sum.

(Isabelle Cabrera) #24

But don’t we all have the right to access planetary resources as we need it? If that is at all possible, that’s what I would define “equality”. The problem as they said is systemic. Some thoughts Influenced by Edward Bellamy’s “Moving Backward” (fiction novel writer) and Peter Joseph’s “The New Human Rights Movement” among others. Thanks for the insights. :slight_smile:

(Theodore M. Amenta) #25

You have so many ideas, it is difficult to respond in one note. The first few sentences are goo. All of your thoughts are “Vitruvian” – human interaction with the environment, with existence. Vitruvius described architecture as “economy, utility and eurythmy.” At that time the word economy was not associated with money. It was an ideal of using the least material to accomplish a task — Like engineering today. A measure of the best design is the use of less material — the suspension bridge; the Bucky Fuller geodesic dome. Utility is that it effectively serves the purpose. A kitchen works. A hospital is efficiently configured. A sea stead enables the living of the inhabitants. Eurythmy is essential beauty - aesthetics. So you present the same thoughts. I think it is correct to “merge” the architecture into the marine and the socio-economic into the whole. Of course self-sustainable — if possible. Here is a question you should answer and the best answer I can find. What is the fewest number of people living on the sea stead that is sustainable? I argue for 300. There are a number of primitive and prior colonies or communes. Think of the Pilgrims to the US and the kibbutz in Isreal in the early 1900’s — or the smallest community to have a sufficient gene pool? I will write more, Ted — PS: Good work thus far.

(.) #26

Well, I just learned a little bit of sketchup 3D drawing, and I drew.
The primary purpose is to float and withstand open ocean environment.
All the other ideas are not excluded, but rather preferable.
Well, the gene pool is important, though the survival of human kind
is maintained by irresponsible hedonism only, in my opinion.

My idea would be to able to ballast long vertical structures up and down
to minimize the effect of waves. Personal space would be on boats.

For defense reasons, I would think, many boats would be good.
Individuals could escape an invasion or adverse political situation,
simply by sailing away. (vote with your boat)

To make the structure as cheap as possible to be able to relinquish it.
That way the humans would be the most valuable thing on a structure.
(well , humans, thing, excuse my French)

And thank you for responding.

(Theodore M. Amenta) #27

I want to focus on the “start up” — come into existence without — huge capital investment through incremental approach. Permit me to try to define this topic more fully. I will argue that there are only two options to securing the capital investment required. 1.) Financially Feasible application of funds. These funds will be equity (with guarantees) and debt. The equity is at risk to be lost. That is to say the funds may never see a return on investment. The debt is at less risk. The equity will be lost first and the guarantees called upon to protect the debt and after all this the debt will be possibly lost. 2.) Funding obtained by gift, donation, crowd funding or the simple application by very wealthy for personal reasons. Many give to charity, by art for emotional purposes or have such immense wealth can simply pay. I find than virtually no one has tried to demonstrate the financial feasibility of a sea stead. I will repeat by financially feasible ---- rational, intelligent application of money for a positive purpose expecting a success. I have myself proved the financial feasibility of a sea stead “prototype.” I am eager to read your thinking on this topic. Ted

(Theodore M. Amenta) #28

I am intrigued with the “solution found in the problem” assertion. You may be correct. This is the case with fine art painting — The painting “pushes back” as you paint. It is an interaction. Ted

(.) #29

I am painting the walls in my house. The wall pushes back too.
But just as much as I push on it. There is a brush between me and the wall.
And paint too.

(Isabelle Cabrera) #30

More importantly, to bring together humanity in general by creating a platform to foster their creativity and ingenuity and acknowledging that human inventiveness is the most important resource on earth. It is not to say that all this cannot be achieved by setting up a platform in a more conventional space, but it if is at all that easy, why hasn’t it ever been done i.e. solution to current pressing problems which are the subjects of this thesis? Universities that offer high standard of education is offering it at a high cost; Government initiated education are sometimes deficient which is evident by most of common people to opt to study in a private educational institution apart from the social pressure by implication on the social status. It is high time to tap on the humanity without discrimination as it is now very feasible to distribute knowledge to far distance with virtually no depletion. Therefore, no expense other than the creation of the floating platforms which cannot be considered in the end a loss of investment when proven unsuccessful (through use of algorithm) since it can be retrieved or moved elsewhere granting that in its inception, the size and modules can be assembled and be placed on a cargo ship. I have so many assertions that are very contestable or naive and still need to be verified for its correctness as of yet. For the moment, I’m just thinking out loud. Than
ks for the responses which I will note down as I need many more ideas to kill my own ideas.

(.) #31

As we grind each other here, and everywhere else in life (we: humans),
might get better, or exterminate ourselves. Philosophy is nice.
Bring together humanity: noble. I am too old to be noble, or it’s just not me.

Again, the way I understand human behavior is as Eric Berne wrote about
it in Games People Play. Games People Play and roles people live.
One of the perceived role, I see is, to get an education and better the self.
And it can go bad, just like a legitimate business can go into a ponzi scheme. Or noble intentions, like social security can be hijacked, just
like many would like to do it in the US, and not pay at all.
However, the end of the ponzi scheme is when payment stops, because
when payouts stop nobody will pay into it. And the Play must go on.

In health care, the money is not in the cure, but it is in the treatment.
It shows very well in the case of hepatitis C cure; the cure is 90K USD,
or somewhere about that price.
Though the question comes up, what happens with those who cannot pay?
And they get cured too, somehow it is afforded to them.

Now, the higher education seems to be a scheme too at certain points.
Tuition is considered user charge, but the customer has little choice.
Especially so, if the user cannot pay. Are we going to know the right
answer? Is there going to be a break through? Is there going to be a
disruptive technology? If yes, is it going to be good?
Or it just going to becomes another Game, that People Play?
Is the old way of thinking going to bring a disruptive break though, and
if yes, than how come we do not have it already? Well, my thoughts
are anarchist thoughts. I would like to point it out that anarchism is not
equal to chaos. My anarchist ideas are to avoid conflict, and to avoid
confrontation. Self-defense sometimes is necessary, unfortunately.

And if all mankind would benefit from new ideas of seasteading, I am not
against it. I just do not know what is good for other people, much less
I think, I am the one who should decide.

(.) #32

An example:
I sat in my house, and looked at the wall. I decided, I do not know how
to paint, but it could not get worst. I bought a gallon of paint and a paint
brush. I painted the wall. It looked better. I gave it another coat.
I decided, for me, it looks better. I bought another gallon of paint.
I use the same paint brush.

It is a value to me. Can it be destroyed? Yes. It is hard to steal the paint
off my wall, but it can be vandalized. I lock my door. Even if it gets
vandalized by graffiti, very few people would see it. Vandalism by graffiti
is with the intent for displaying it to many people. There are other kinds of
graffiti-es than vandalism, but I cannot afford that, nor do I have any talent
for it. Not much else is of value in the house, but the house itself.
The use of the house is the value.

A seastead, if it can be built cheap, and the people who use it
could be the value to each other on a mutually beneficial and agreeable manner.
The knowledge of how to produce a floating structure and live on
it in peace, would be a value and a power.

Or something like that. To me, anarchy also means that I accept a
natural order, even when I do not understand it, nor I can explain it,
even if it is the Games People Play.