Unique talents and who owns them

If I could get a 1/2-scale version of the 42m P.A.S. Cat (Partially Air Supported Catamaran), maybe modified with some sort of winch retractable dagger board, I’d probably get into a LOT of trouble… :laughing:

Yes, we bought a Motorhome the same size (and chassis) as the one in “Strange Wilderness” and my mother just bought us a 2009 Forester…

I guess putting together unique stuff in a unique combination would be a unique talent… :laughing:

Many open-top vehicle carriers are still based off the 1940’s Higgins Boats. It’s a pretty simple bare-bones design.

I’m a bit confused, why are we talking about building a boat to take a car and a trailer? If it’s short term, I’m sure there’s a car park somewhere. If it’s long term, probably better off selling the car and buying a new one whenever you come ashore a couple of years later.

If you do have to store a car on board though, I’d suggest against keeping it on deck. You’d be better off keeping it in a cargo compartment below decks. Bother for the purpose of protecting it from corrosion and keeping the center of gravity below the center of buoyancy.

Because as i have said here many times, i cannot find a marina to park the car and live on the boat. How do you expect anyone to goto the grocery store, doctor office, post office, bank, fuel depot, Pizza Hut, go get their passport renewed, or just see the sights on land with no vehicle?

Go where you want, take all your toys with you, stay where you want, unload the 4wd and head to town, whatever. If ‘Unique Talents’ can include Ephemerisle, why not a means of getting TO Ephemerisle and staying? However, as I said, if there’s a way to add a retractable daggerboard, you could even go into deeper waters, as well. Imagine traveling the intercoastal waterway, maybe up the Mississippi, or maybe locking all the way to Port of Catoosa, Tulsa, Oklahoma, Heck, unload the 4wd on a remote Alaskan island, travel the Panama Canal, whatever.

Or the motorcycle. Or MiniCooper.

(Larry G) #87

You can find used landing craft for about the price of a moderate house (in an urban area) that would do all of that. The ability to load and off-load cargo without special equipment onto a beach or dock would be very useful.

Personally, I would find modest utility in having an RV on it, because most places in the world are not going to have facilities for of-loading it, even with a landing craft.

An off-road capable vehicle: sure. ATV, 4wd jeep, bicycles, motorcycles, utility tricycles. A small pickup truck with a camper on it, maybe. You could drive off onto docks in a lot of places, but not by any means all places.

Travelling light and self-contained is definitely a talent that not many people have.

Given a firm beach, or a boat ramp, even a large motorhome would be OK. Haven’t picked it up (possibly tomorrow), but the Subaru has full-time all-wheel-drive. Go, unload, camp for a weekend, a week, or a month, load up and leave…

I’ve looked at landing craft as a potential business opportunity. Found a couple of ways to load/unload ISO shipping containers, as well. All just a matter of money…

With a large generator (like the one in our motorhome), even electric propulsion becomes an option, though I could certainly use a driveshaft disconnect system and drive a generator that way, as well.

Personally, I would prefer something more portable, but don’t care too much for the ‘add inflatable pontoons’ to the RV concept. I want more stability and no water contact with the chassis, but towing a 2-lane wide, 75 ft landing craft isn’t all that practical.

Might be a way to do it with modular dock sections and some sort of power module, though… Guess I’ll keep digging.

(Larry G) #89

Most of the landing craft I have seen are self-propelled or designed to be (some do not have functioning engines.)

There are detachable axles for ISO containers, designed for low speeds.

Well, see, you add the square pontoons so it resembles a wide catamaran, and jack up the deck a few feet, basically same as a catamaran (but for offloading the RV, hydraulic or electric cable jacks sound like a fine idea). Given decent spacing to start off with, doubling up on the toons could be a good option if you need more weight capacity down the road, or less draft to get closer to shore. An RV is a heavy beast, there’s a limit to how high is acceptable, which is why all real landing craft have very tall sides, they sit the vehicle low and keep a large working bilge pump. Chances are, you will tarp over or use a sliding roof panel system to keep the salt off the RV.

True, but towing several 8ft wide deck sections atop each other, and a few I-beams, and some pontoons is far more feaseable. It’s going to be a serious issue to float a small truck and an RV on a self-propelled boat.

(Larry G) #91

Small truck and pop-up tent camper or pop-up tent trailer, as long as you’re not trying to use it as living space under way.

This is more of a gypsy lifestyle than a seasteading strategy, IMO. It’s do-able, just like people travel North America in campers and RVs. But it’s much more expensive to travel from place to place on a boat if the goal is simply to get from one camping place to another.

Could be a transitional strategy, but I think some choices take you too far down some blind, expensive alleys to be a viable transition plan. I think someone who lives on a landing craft and trades with more sessile seasteads could have a viable “home business plan”.

So far, the only amphibious motorhome I’ve seen is the Terrawind… Not particularly interested in the wet chassis approach, but the inflatable pontoons on a sectional folding platform/trailer thing might also work. I would want overall width to be greater than the height of the motorhome, though…

http://www.camillc.com/terrawind.htm

Something like this, only in a towable form…

Oh #$%^, that’s horrible. Look in engineering last year for a series on towable folding aluminum barges for calm waters. I wouldn’t put them on the ICW tho, since it’s really open ocean in sections.

Can you give the url? I cannot see videos embedded in this place.

I read the pages, didn’t need the video. Seems like an amateur design. Sure to cost plenty, not safe for anything but small lakes and slow calm rivers. It’s not a pure transport boat, which would have taller sides to deflect water from those idiots on seadoos which come by and spray the RV.

Oh I see your point. Renting a car wherever you land is common for wealthier cruisers. If you’re not lazy though you can easily fit a folding bicycle or two on any boat.

Sure, if you want to go only those places which have taxis, and only during the hours those taxis operate. As for bicycles, what if you are physically unable to pedal one, regardless of how lazy you are, how far can you pedal with 200lbs of cargo on the bike? And what if your cargo is 30 miles inland? What if it’s raining/snowing all day? Do you have an opinion against trikes?

Nope, trikes sound fine. I’m just trying to picture what scenario you’re envisaging. Is it likely that you’ll be docking somewhere which has decent roads but no port towns?