Unique talents and who owns them

Chevy Nova didn’t sell well in Mexico, rough translation is “doesn’t go”.

(.) #56

Wow, Elmer is suspended?

(.) #57

Through God great things can be achieved, and good luck to you master baiter.

You’re behind the times. His suspension ended three days ago.

Great things happening just today:

A Taliban spokesman claimed responsibility for the suicide attack on the police academy, in which security sources said at least 50 or 60 people had been killed or wounded.

Niloy Neel, a blogger murdered (Islamists cut him up with machetes) in Bangladesh, says Islamists in the country and even the country’s government “want the atheists to be silenced”… five assailants had entered the flat after the Friday prayers and killed him. Neel’s murder is the fourth such brutal murder in the country.

ISIS seized control of Qaryatain in central Syria, a strategic move to gain critical territory near Homs, Palmyra and Damascus. Activists told the Associated Press that the captives initially included 60 Christian residents, before ISIS released about half. The majority of those abducted, roughly 170 captives, are Sunni Muslims…In February, ISIS abducted more than 220 Assyrian Christians from the province of Hassakeh

Suspected Islamist militants attacked a hotel in central Mali used by U.N. staff, killing at least six people, taking others hostage and holding off troops encircling the building…

I am sure there’s more such news which i didn’t catch.

Hey there, I’m Shawn and I am super new here…

Interesting forum discussion so far… I figured this would be a good place to start since my purpose for joining is to see what sort of practical seasteading things I can be involved in. From my reading through, it seems like the conversation has taken a downturn here over the last couple days… I mean is it necessary to argue about the use of the term god or religion right now?

Sounds like one of these

And I think those should be avoided or worked around when the goal of a discussion to actually get stuff something done. For the record, whenever someone uses the term God, I simply do a mental substitution of Universe…

“Only through the Universe can great things be achieved”

Can’t argue with that! Hard to achieve anything but through the universe, amirite? It seems to work out in every case I’ve come across, it can even work while reading religious texts.

But I digress and hope this discussion isn’t too far off track, if you disagree with what I just said and have something smart to say in response, I assume there is a DM option in this forum and I’m always happy to have a philosophical discussion with theists and atheists alike.

Where was I? Ah yes, introductions and unique talents… I’m Shawn Marincas and my talents don’t seem too unique to me, I do web development and systems architecture. I graduated with a computer engineering degree but mostly work doing full-stack javascript development while building a neat platform for a startup involved in the Internet of Things (beacons, nfc, geofencing, etc). This takes place in NYC, but I reside in NJ.

I’m 33, single and move around a lot. So I suppose what makes me unique might be that I have very little to lose and don’t have too many attachments to any given place. Combine that with a talent and love of solving unique problems, my knowledge of engineering and computer systems, and a respect for life and other people’s rights/beliefs… I think I’d be well-suited a seastead pioneer.

I also know how to keep it light and can usually make people laugh, which is perhaps a talent that can be overlooked when we’re talking about spending lengthy of time with each other in close proximity.

Anyways, glad to be here and I hope I’m not sticking my neck out too much for my lack of any credibility in this community. Just let me know what needs doing and I’ll let you know how I can help.

• Shawn Marincas

PS - I do very much mean doing… I’ve seen too many times how much energy a good idea can generate and how much of that energy can be drained away in talking and arguing without any real life feedback. Anyone familiar with the LEAN startup approach will know what I’m referring to.

Community at Sea - Drowning Man and Ephemerisle 2016

Welcome to the pool! Jump on in and have a swim around! Don’t be afraid to ask and don’t be offended when folks say it’s been discussed, just dig in and find what you can, then ask more questions. You’ll quickly find we’re all opinionated and most tend to be outspoken for our own personal pet version. I was in the old forum, and recently came back after a hiatus. Dig into the archives, as well. There is a lot of knowledge to be had. Generally, I promote my concept, but if I find something to support other ideas, I try to post it, or come up with an image to show an idea.

(Janine) #62

HI I’m Janine
I currently live in Gig Harbor, Wa. I’m a technical artist . Are there any other people close to Seattle I can connect with? I work in large scale design and construction. I’m very interested in learning more about Sea Steading and participating in Ephemerisle next year.

Howdy, from Texas! Jump in and have some fun.

Hi Janine. What kind of construction do you draw for?

(Janine) #65

I do some design, but I’m a public artist. I can work in glass, wood, metal, plastics. Not great in 2D. I can create sculptures, set design, window displays, floats. Yes, I’m a ex burner, I worked technical support for the BM Artery. Nimby and Crucible out of the Bay Area. Education in hardware engineering, and Networking Telecom.

[!Perk!] As in electronics design? Or the drafting of designs? Or ergonomics of front panel layouts? My working background is in electronics design, building circuits to do what’s desired (circuit design, pcb taping, fabrication). And some programming. I’m also generally handy with mechanical systems, from engine rebuild to welding something new. Currently making jig to hold the steel plates in the shape of a floatie so i can weld them there.

(Janine) #67

I was a Wan Telecom Eng. for Lucent, Hewlett Packard. I built central offices, from the ground up. Soft ware, hardware install, construction, computer support, I have worked in the high tech industry for 30 years. Now I’m the Art Commissioner for Gig Harbor. I build fun stuff…

(Janine) #68

Oh I also have a friend with whom I’m playing with his full size CNC.

Well, color me jealous. I have a Bridgeport knee mill sitting out in the woods for over 10 years now, i have not spent 10 minutes with it since delivery. The neighbors have dogs, and the DA’s office has given them control of my property, so many things have not been done since, such as the building to enclose the mill. Yep, lotta rust on it now. The tarp blew off after a few years, dogs wouldn’t let me re-cover it. I built a desktop pcb driller/router, i took a lot of grief over the color of the shaft couplers for the steppers, i ended it by cutting it up with a torch and scrapping the remains. There will be no dogs, humans, or gods on or near my seastead.

(Janine) #70

Yes, its pretty limited to just cutting out shapes . its a 3 axis not a five. I wanted to trick it in into 3d but didn’t have the time to spend… I found my self wandering off into three d printing and never got back to the project. So much fun stuff to learn ands make. Really I need to spend some time reading on these sites and see how I can contribute best. I would love to find some people around Seattle to collaborate with. Lots a un-used boats around here that need retrofitting.

Between @outdoorsJ9 and @gooseus I’m feeling decisively outclassed. Great to have such wonderfully talented individuals joining the community.

I’d love to move to an area with more seasteaders but unfortunately the nature of nationalism doesn’t allow for such things :confused: Maybe if the TPP goes through there might be some hidden lining involving free movement of workers or something.

(Larry G) #72

There are a couple of us in the Portland/Vancouver area.

(Janine) #73

Cool, nice to meet you. How many years have you been going. Which is best, being your a little bit away from the bay area. Rent a house boat or trailer and sail? I know a few people involved in this event, Evo, ,Chicken John, Danger Ranger from my burning man/Bay area days. It looks like there is a main communal area then people have their own private boats moored out a ways. I have only found the Facebook page and this giving any data about the logistics of the event. What is the best way to get connected? If I was in the bay it would be easier…

(Janine) #74

Out classed? Confirmed Pirate… no class here :smile: