TSI discussion forums moving to reddit on July 5

(joequirk) #1

Good morning, seasteading discussion forum members!

In order to provide improved moderation and greater independence, we’ve decided to move the discussion forums at http://discuss.seasteading.org to the https://www.reddit.com/r/seasteading subreddit on Reddit instead.

Therefore, beginning July 5, 2018, the “Participate > Discussion Forum” link in the navmenu will be pointed to https://www.reddit.com/r/seasteading. The existing discussion forums will be put into archive mode, and no new posts will be allowed. In addition, although we plan to keep the current forums up as an archive, we don’t guarantee that the current discussion forums will be online after that date. So, if there’s anything you want to keep, be sure to archive it before July 5th.

Thanks everyone for the information and ideas you have shared to date. We look forward to reading your discussions on the /r/seasteading subreddit in the future!

Joe Quirk

(joequirk) #2

(joequirk) #3

(Wilfried Ellmer) #4

@joequirk | good luck with the new forum…@nautilusmaker

(.) #7

Thank you for the information, and thank you for your patience.
Good luck and Best regards;

(noboxes) #8

Appropriate platitudes.

(Larry G) #9

Are you guys maintaining the Wiki? Any plans to link the Wiki from the main site?

(joequirk) #10

We currently plan to leave the wiki up, but no plans to link from the main site right now.

(joequirk) #11

FWIW, there are no plans to take the discussion forums down. However, we don’t want people to be angry if we do, so we’re not promising to keep them up.

That said, your images will likely get greater visibility–and you will have more control over their fate–if you put them up on imgur and link to them from the /r/seasteading subreddit.

(PaulMarrow) #12

Moving to Reddit is a mistake. Have you seen what happens when you try to post a reply or make a new thread over there? You can end up getting a message (and I’m not joking) that says “your doing that too much” and it will refuse to allow you to post. It has something to do with some gimmick they’re doing “karma” or something. Moving to reddit will just jam up the forum , infuriate users and make people loose interest in something very important for our future.

(noboxes) #13

And it cannot inherently solve the problem of some users misrepresenting things, like the Hibernia platform someone just posted lies about (in another thread).

It’s quite hard to imagine how “improved moderation” (basically “better censorship”) would provide “greater independence”…

(noboxes) #15

TSI pushing this forum away, so the posting here does not reflect badly on TSI any more.

I highly doubt that. If anybody @ TSI would have cared about a “bad reflection” you would have been kicked out eons ago.

(noboxes) #17

Please look in the mirror. And read your side of the last interaction we had, regarding women and your mom. Remember? It was about how you rate women. You gave the most vulgar, base, animalistic, self-serving terms of what you believe is the most important quality of at least half the population.

And that the moderators allowed it is the real kicker.
@joequirk

More nonsense and fake accusations against my reputation for just speaking the truth and defending my mother from being dragged in your demented rants.

(noboxes) #19

“speaking the truth”? The names you called me do not truthfully describe me.

You said something about all women, and your mom is a woman. I did no dragging of anything or anyone.

(noboxes) #20

And to continue in that vein, this timely bit of data about reddit’s value and “valuable” moderation of forums.

(Larry G) #21

There is also a Linkedin Group for Seasteadin genthusiasts here:

https://www.linkedin.com/groups/13551477

(joequirk) #22

It’s quite hard to imagine how “improved moderation” (basically “better censorship”) would provide “greater independence”…

The greater independence results from the fact that /r/seasteading is independent of TSI. Since the mods at /r/seasteading are independent of TSI, there’s less potential conflict of interest when moderating topics critical of TSI.