Think of existing seasteads?

Sorry, must’ve missed your post. Sometimes I don’t see the complete list of updates, so I start where the thread updates to.

So 256 floats @ $30 each is $7,680. (price range is $5 each to $60 each on ebay.) Do i hear someone bidding $7000? Do i hear an arguement for a cheaper equal floatation technology?

If you find a source, quite often they are free for the asking, but you have to rinse them out yourself.

I get the white ones (not UV resistant) for free, several times a year, through a local resort. I have to clean out the lye, or pool-acid, but that;s a peroxide, or baking-soda treatment. Paint them and they’re good-to-go.

Personally, I would prefer to fill the blue ones with flotation foam, which would add considerable to the net cost, but I can buy in small amounts and do a few at a time, once I have funds.

They scavenged and scrounged theirs, for free.

I read the article about that school before and it looks fantastic. Just wondering, how do they replace the floats in the center? I’d agree that the ability to recycle the submerged layer of a raft seastead would make things much easier.

I think they could work great for the housing platforms, but we’d still need something heavier for the breakwaters.

Nearly fill them with water, they almost sink, pull them out from under with a rope. Do the same with new barrel, but pull it into position, fill with air, needs only 2psi to drive out 4ft of water depth.

Keep in mind, on the old forum, i was laughed at for suggesting this be done with 5 gallon buckets. Here, the 55 gallon barrels cost money and have transportation costs, the 5 gallon buckets can be free at construction sites (usually as empty plaster containers).

The 256 barrels of the Makoko school make up 55 tons of buoyancy, a single layer 256 5 gallon buckets is 5 tons lift.

That’s pretty cool. It might also work if the framework could be partially deconstructed above each barrel to lift it out.

Easy to do, added cost, slightly weaker, means the floor must have the clearance holes cut into it too.

(Rich) #24

A database of every island in the world would be interesting. Im not particularly fond of protected waters, like the Chesapeake, for seasteading.

This touches on seasteading, in that this show is a tour of the old canal system of UK and Europe, the history of the canals, the people who built the canals, used them, and live on and near them today. There’s some interesting canal boats shown, and i spotted a design i am currently building, in a bay on the southeast of France, where people are living in them. While the show is not concerning ocean or seasteading, there’s glimpses of the lives of people who do live on the interior waterways in various countries. I found it interesting the way the boats change according to the location, a “canal boat” isn’t the same everywhere the show goes, and the tour guides rent different boats as they travel.

Canalboats are much smaller in the UK than in Europe. I think this is because of the width of a canal.

In the UK, they are really just boats. UK Locks are commonly only 7-feet wide, so this limits the width of the living space:

In Europe, the lock width is 5-meters (about 16 feet), so the housboats are about double the width.

I guess I better practice my dutch!

This one, from “Great Canal Journeys”, caught my eye. Those liveaboard floaties on the left. The pontoons are tall enough to bring aboard whatever without submerging the toons, but low enough that tall waves wash over them, yet because the living space is jacked up, the waves go under the deck.

Community at Sea - Drowning Man and Ephemerisle 2016

I am not sure where to ask this question, but is it ok to park any boat anywhere in the water of Apalachicola Bay (google page) for long term, like months? I ask because it seems to be covered by overlapping jurisdictions of nature reserves of various names, yet i figure it’s in the ICW system too. It’s not particularly large, but it’s sheltered, and has towns nearby. Everything on land seems the usual overpriced, $1000 per month for a legal camping spot to park your car while out on the water, for instance, but that seems to be the problem everywhere.

You’d probably be OK, as long as you weren’t in the way of oyster harvesters, or polluting the water. It is part of a commercial oyster harvesting area and the reefs will most likely be fiercely protected, not to mention potential health issues caused for others if human waste contaminates the food supply.

(Larry G) #30

You will probably have to move it from time to time. There are rules designed to prevent vagrancy and people who will enforce rules that don’t exist against vagrancy if you violate their aesthetic or sense of propriety.

It wouldn’t be prudent to leave your car unattended for long periods of time at a camp ground. Storage units can be had for much lower prices to store a vehicle securely, and take a bus or a cab back to the docks.

Long term RV camping spots in my region are only about $400-$500/month. Sometimes less in the off season.

Speaking of such thing, this is going on up in your neck of the woods (July 2015):
----------
From KING TV website: ”OLYMPIA, Wash. — Mike Auderer is one of several houseboat owners told to get off state property, but his home is one of a kind. Auderer and three of his fellow houseboat owners have been told by managers at the Martin Marina in Olympia it’s time to shove off.
----------
I call them homeless boats, and increasingly, they can be found anchored in wide pockets along the river, or tied to public docks intended for 72-hour transient moorage. I assume their owners are…
----------

(Larry G) #32

It’s a serious problem on the Willamette in downtown Portland. Several years of tolerance of people not having registered boats, and living on them in spots that were official tie-ups, have led to abuse of the tolerance, drugs, behavioural problems, abandoned/sunk boats that are navigational hazards, and just general filth and untidiness mucking up the river.

(Matias Volco) #33

River and lake floating dwellings have existed not for centuries but for millennia, this century’s challenge is to do something similar on coast and then on the high seas, no?

And to do a better job of it. I mean, the goal is to seastead, the goal isn’t to use the ocean as a cesspool, right? And maybe other procedures and processes can be bettered. Of course, the main goal is a better life.

(system) closed #35

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.