The Tahiti Seastead convention

(Chad Elwartowski) #1

I just booked my flight to Tahiti (I’m currently in Cambodia, heading to Vietnam tomorrow…kinda checking out Asia between jobs).

I’ll post updates of the event. Let me know if there’s anything you want to know about the event.

Galt's Gulch is on the oceans | oceanic business alliance
Seasteading Invest | the big five of ocean colonization | investment yield 10%+ | oceanic business alliance
Real Estate Paradigm Shift | oceanic business alliance | oceanic real estate | floating real estate |
Breakaway Civilization | Seasteading | Ocean Colonization | Advanced Oceanic Cities | Atlantis | Enlightenment | Oceanic Business Alliance | next big thing in business
(Wilfried Ellmer) #2

@Elwar | Chad let me know how things work out in Tahiti …

Wil

(Larry G) #3

Things that would be nice to know after the conference:

How open is FP to economic cncessions like tax exemptions on import of the materials for construction of the seastead?

Will they require local labor?

How about tax exemptions on seastead income?

Residency and immigration status for steaders?

What are the specific location and geophysical conditions for the stead?

Will FP allow registration of vessels somehow associated with the stead?

Companies? What economic activities will be allowed?

(Wilfried Ellmer) #4

@thebastidge | Larry when you look at the speaker and participant pool - why do you think anybody present at the convention could deliver on making that kind of descisions ? - and much less - if intended - make them “binding for future generations” and projects to come.

Are those realistic expectations ?

In a former thread back in 2015 i coined the hypothesis that “the size and economic weight of the seastead drives its political and economic ambitions” ( ref 765 ) and its frame to negotiate.

For now it would be great if the conference would bring up a big amount of press ATTENTION and hopefully some investor attention to the cause.

As always we can expect Joe and Randy do a great job on that.

(Larry G) #5

If the president and Vice President of the host country can’t speak at least to some indication of these directions, then who can?

Press schmess. If nobody makes decisions it matters little how much people natter and chatter abut it.

Progress, even if it is just legally binding letters of intent is what matters. Contracts, agreements, and construction, everything else is bullshit.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #6

… and this is the answer to your “expectations” even a president can only coin a general line of “politics” - he can not make a “binding treaty for future generations” his successor is allways free to modify and change that politics…the parlament is allways free to deny the line of politics…investors are always free to deny projects under the “suggested frame conditions” and do their business elsewhere…

The importance of press and politics is that they have influence on what investors look at.

(Larry G) #7

Now you’re just being contentious. The whole point of this convention is to agree upon frameworks and set context. The questions I’m asking are questions I would bring up if I could attend. I don’t expect they will all be answered fully. I’m hoping for indications on direction.

Otherwise it’s all a waste of time.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #8

Be patient give Joe and Randy a bit of credit… do not expect miracles in the first round…

It is a “convention” so people come together and talk.
They do not negotiate. The place where you negotiate is a "boardroom" and the people who make projects a "go" or a "no go" in "boardroom talks" are called "investors" and "members of the board" . They are certainly not called "politicians" and "convention visitors"...

So the interesting question will be: how much of the talks in Tahiti are “funded” and how much are “unfunded”…:slight_smile: - it might be timewaste - and it might be not… we will see.

Fact is : Seasteading is the biggest investment opportunity of this century…(14)

(Larry G) #9

I’m experienced at what happens in industry conventions and in government regulatory drafting sessions.

Governments always try to indicate something when they participate. One of the fundamental functions of government is to provide stability and thus predictability is necessary. They don’t like to indicate when they don’t know, and hey usually don’t give public statements to an audience when they don’t have some kind of idea what to say.

That doesn’t mean they won’t go back on it later, but it does mean they intend to indicate something. I am hopeful that it is something meaningful and useful. Thus, questions that Chad could try to pose in public or personal conversation to other attendees.

Or we could all sit on this forum and suck up to Randy and Joe without useful input like some other people.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #10

I would expect this to be an intent to NOT repeate what happened in Honduras…

And to advance in the direction we had in the Cartagena talks (46) back in jan 2015…where i suggested a “business before politics” approach…in 3 development phases. Each of them coming with a “specific frame of negotiations”. (15). In Cartagena we talked about an investment frame of USD 167 M over a period of 10 years to come to a phase 3 seastead. I would insist that we place emphasis on solving the bottleneck (16) (32) in phase 1 (17) and leave the bulk of political talks and negociation for phase 3. Randy went on to Honduras to have extensive political talks first. Ended like politics always ends. We will see if the “business before politics approach” is up now in Tahiti. I assume we all are in a learning process how to tackle the matter of ocean colonization. There might be many different approaches and nobody has a cristal ball to read the future and decide which approach is the most promising. The best thing we can do is fill the project pipeline (18) with as many parallel projects as possible. I hope the Tahiti Convention will give birth to a couple of them in one way or another…Joe and Randy have always been great in inspire people to try it…

No, Larry. @ellmer is just demonstrating his ignorance at how development actually happens in the real world.

Why anybody would trust @Elmo with money for his phony “investment” schemes is a mystery.

(Bob LLewellyn) #12

[quote=“thebastidge, post:9, topic:2453”]
and hey usually don’t give public statements to an audience when they don’t have some kind of idea what to say.[/quote]

Larry, I truly love your moment of innocence but there really is such a place as Washington DC where people do that all the time.

(Larry G) #13

Oh, they say nonsense all the time. No doubt about that. But that’s because they believe nonsense or they are trying to get someone else to believe nonsense. Either way, there is intent to lead people to a given conclusion. Otherwise there’s no point in making a public announcement.

(Chad Elwartowski) #14

The first day of the convention is over.

First speaker was the VP of FP… Spoke all in French and the translator app didn’t work for me so all I got from it was that he supported the effort and basically gave a political speech stating that polynesians were the first seasteaders and how it could bring technology and such to FP.

Randy spoke, summing up the burning man approach and why seasteading and why FP.

A couple of other speakers kinda promoting seasteading to the locals in attendance.

Tony Hsieh was here and gave a speech about his projects in Las Vegas. I kept waiting for him to caveat to “and now let me talk about how this is related to seasteading”. No such transition. He was mainly giving a concept of how to best form the community once it is up and running.

We all took a boat ride out to one of the 3 possible seastead sites. It was well protected and fairly shallow.

There are a lot of people from all over the world and every walk of life so it has been quite interesting meeting people that could be living on the seastead one day.

Tomorrow are the engineering speeches.

The locals seem skeptically curious.

(.) #15

Thanks Elwar! Your report is great service.

(.) #16

(.) #17

(.) #18

(Wilfried Ellmer) #19

@Elwar | Thanks Chad, that was a great first hand info - keep the good info comming in !

How many participants are on the convention ?

What is the average price of a flight ticket to Tahiti ?

How many people where on the boat ride ?

Wil

Things turn out best for people who make the best out of the way things turn out

(Chad Elwartowski) #20

I would estimate the number at around 100 non-polynesian guests. I believe all of the guests were invited to go see the site. There were several groups bussed out at different times.

I believe most people coming from Los Angeles paid a total of over $2k. Though I would say about half are from outside of the US and maybe less than. 10% are from various locations in California.