SV Seeker - crowd-funded steel sailing vessel

(Larry G) #1

Dream Big, Work Hard, and Surround Yourself With Good People. A 75 foot, 23 meter Sailboat for doing research work on the oceans of the world is our Big Dream. It’s Hard Work ad piece by piece she is being build from scratch in our front yard. And Good People from all over the world come to help, provided parts, advice, and inspiration. Here is a chance for you to be apart. --Doug

(noboxes) #2

Is that a seastead? I mean, if i were going to move to live somewhere, i would not be building a car.

(.) #3

Very cool. I like it.

How about a 120 foot floating platform for doing oceanic ecosystems restoration and oceanic habitation research in Cay Sal? If we can get around $5k-$8k/mo it can be built in less then a year (with a bit of extra private capital infusion, of course)

Now, how long are the patrons gonna pay you? :wink:

(Larry G) #6

But you might build an RV. I could see your objection if he were building a 16’ speed boat. This is a 75’ vessel with accommodations built into the design, for long-term private oceanic ‘research’.

It’s a project. It’s related to being on the ocean, the method used to raise money for it seems of interest to our community. Why nitpick other than to be snarky?

As long as you keep their our interest. I’m a $1/month patron on this project.

(noboxes) #7

with a hullform that is optomised for transportation, not for being a stable workspace.

Actually, i’d build a trailer, which would carry a detachable cabin just big enough to sleep in and perform other necessities for a temporary timeframe. Those things with wheels are for moving and/or carrying.

I see. Do you know if the donations are tax deductible?

(Larry G) #9

Yes. They are not. It is a for-profit enterprise. Honestly, it would not be worth my time to try to deduct a $1 donation anyway.

LOL, of course I’m not talking about your dollar,…:slight_smile:

Just wondering if a non profit organization can use Patreon for raising funds and offer patrons tax deduction on their donations.

(Larry G) #11

(Larry G) #12

If you’re going with a co-op, it wouldn’t be a non-profit.

(.) #13

I am going with the co-op.

( #14

Maybe not completely a seastead in itself but it’s an excellent element to build from or add onto a seastead!

( #16

Good points here, let’s say it’s a great seastead support vessel.
Exchanges of goods between small seastead will need vessels like that.

(Larry G) #17

I pointed it out mostly for the crowd funded aspect. The build-out is entertaining and educational. The purpose and ambition is inspiring.

That is what seasteading needs.

I still believe that for me, personally, the ocean-going equivalent of a gypsy caravan, itinerant traders and tinkers could be “seasteading”. A boat is much more like a motor home than a car. We have a significant number of people in my region no live permanently in “RVs”, a term I don’t recall from my youth, hen they were referred to as moor homes o campers.

(Larry G) #20

actuallty, lots of married couples take up truck driving in (semi)retirement and live in the truck. Most truckers use their truck more like a hotel room than a home, but not all.

(Larry G) #21

If one is registering a boat one needs a mailing address, not necessarily a physical address. They can’t mail reminders and tags to an arbitrary GPS coordinate, but otherwise I am not aware of a requirement for a physical address. The registration fees ARE based on a physical jurisdiction, because legal authority is. One is not actually required by federal law to have identification to exist, but you do need it for international travel.