Stationary Sailboat Configuration

(.) #41

I would think suction anchor is better. I would anchor boats that
would be mostly synthetic foam with a fiberglass resin or ferrocement
hull. It might be possible to find some fallen containers, in the water,
or purchase some (40’ for $800) and build a synthetic foam hull around it,
so thick, that even if the container is full of water, it would still float.
Then coat it with fiberglass or ferrocement, and anchor it in deep water
with a suction anchor.

Heaving is possible. Electric winches are nice, and the good old way
is still available.

(Larry G) #42

Sorry, but you would be wrong in that expectation. It’s far more complicated than that. Remember the water is 800 times denser than air. You need a lot more wind to have the same effect, and it’s even more complicated by the fact that above water and below have neither the same shape, the sme friction, nor the same as.

Does a vessel doing 1pmh have steerage? Generally no. Depends a bit on the shape, the relative size (authority) of the rudder, my 35’ Carver has about 3.5’ draft (motorboat, not sails boat but bear with me) and to rudders to go with two props. Under 3mph, my rudders are almost completely useless. I use opposing engine direction to steer. If I lose one engine, say the starboard, I would find it more or less impossible to turn to port under 3-4 mph.

(Bob LLewellyn) #43

Did that, I had intended to replace a prop but before I could, it broke off. Had to steer at a 20 degree angle to get it back to the marina.

Honestly, I don’t know what we are looking for here. The least expensive way to keep a seastead in place or an exercise to play the what if game. Cheapest that will also work is to raise algae, convert it to fuel, use fuel to run motors when needed. Now that’s the cheapest for a seastead, but a boat? I would think that the cheapest would be to rent a marina slip, and let the marina worry about staying in one place.

(Kim Cowdroy) #44

Thankyou for the information on heave to. I did not appreciate this at all.

For my original diagram I just took a standard model to demonstrate the concept I had in mind which I think has similarities.

There would therefore be problems avoiding boats drifting into one another with the rudder not effective, unless there is a way to otherwise pull or push them apart.

My original objective was to try to come up with a way of “parking” sailboats at a site in International Waters by using their sail power rather than some other form of “mooring”.

Further if there was a way for access to be provided between them, and utility services could also be provided, then they could in effect be part of or maybe even form, a seasteading community.

If there is a seasteading community set up in International Waters, then this means it would be best to supply a marina as well for visiting sailboats.

This may well be, but I am not aware of any commercial marinas in International Waters.

(Bob LLewellyn) #45

This is to up date the Marinea podcast news, it is up and ready to go.
https://marinea.org/podcast/episode1/

Shane will be working with us to promote the concept of ocean colonization. He will be a great help in the area of communications and media. With a libertarian background, he will be able to handle questions about the floating village and mini government. So we’re happy to welcome him aboard.

Why bother thank me if you didn’t appreciated at all?

Which you didn’t since your “standard model” is flawed.

I just told you: “Your drawings are off since in fact your sailboats, as shown, are on a starboard tack broad reach, judging by the position of the jib and main. Therefore, they will make headway.”

And that’s a fact.

If they make headway how can they be STATIONARY? How can THAT “demonstrate” a STATIONARY SAILBOAT CONFIGURATION?

Only to the concept you had in mind, but not reality.

(.) #47

Octavian! You are making sense. Stop it! We cannot have that around here.

Yes, it is OK to write whatever, and draw whatever, but criticism is also included
in the whatever.

Whatever.

(Bob LLewellyn) #48

[quote=“Octavian, post:46, topic:2607”]
I did not appreciate this at all.[/quote] means only that he hadn’t understood the depths of what you had told him. It was a compliment.

Cowboy,
Octavian is a mate on a commercial ship. English is not his primary language but he is good enough, no one would ever know. Like other sailors of his kind, he talks straight and clear, some would call it gruff but when you are at sea, you need that clarity to avoid injury or death.

Apologies for the previous miss post. I thought I was in the Marinea Up-date thread.

Was :slight_smile:. Not much commercial. Mostly charter and passengers ferry boats.

Then, thank you Cowboy. I did not appreciate this at all.

(Kim Cowdroy) #50

Thankyou for clearing that up Bob (and nothing sarcastic intended).
Yes I was trying to say I appreciated Octavian’s post.
I have heard of heave to, but did not realise it meant this.
I even get pulled up on thankyous. Never mind. :relaxed:

(system) closed #51

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.