Spar buoy style habitat

(PaulMarrow) #1

I’ve been wondering about an under water habitat far out at sea. The concept is to anchor it to the bottom down on the abyssal plains , it would rest down about 60 feet in a chamber with a long tube coming out the top about 60’ feet up. The bottom chamber would be much larger than the tube going to the top which could be equipped with a small deck. The purpose of the tube is to draw in fresh air or for ingress/ egress. It would need some sort of elevator or something to load supplies into the habitat. Would such a thing handle rough seas better because of the spar like design?

(noboxes) #2

Because the water moves differently at depth, i think your design would sway like a stalk of rye till it snapped from over-bending or metal fatigue.

(PaulMarrow) #3

My second idea was a similar set up , something like a bottle laying on it’s side, anchored deep enough below to resist surface storms but capable of rotating so that the neck of the “bottle” would stick above the surface to refresh the air inside etc. The idea is to loose dependence on islands or the continental shelf.

(noboxes) #4

So your whole habitat would rotate 90 degrees, from horizontal to vertical, with you in it, every 24 hours, to get some fresh air? @Joequirk, is moving to reddit really going to fix this situation?

The search function is your friend.

RP flip is made of steel and has been in service since 1962. Yes it has some motion, but it’s not as severe as a ship.

https://discuss.seasteading.org/search?q=FLIP

FLIP II

https://discuss.seasteading.org/search?q=Spar%20buoy

(noboxes) #6

I considered mentioning the FLIP, but the image i got of his idea was more like a 2 liter bottle with a straw sticking out of it.

(PaulMarrow) #7

Something like that yes. So it can function like a spar buoy which is stable at sea. Of course it would need to be very large to accommodate any real population. Something like Ocean Spiral that they want to build in Japan.

(noboxes) #8

I don’t think that is necessarily true. A tension leg spar might be.

Only $16 Billion for the first one, and it will be ready to move into in 2030?

Have you met Ellmer?

FLIP is often moored in as a tension leg platform.

(noboxes) #10

Got url?

Not any more, but I’ve posted the variations on their mooring in here, before. Mainly they set 3 huge fluke anchors and winch to them. Reason being, movement creates noise that interferes with the sonography.

(PaulMarrow) #12

I don’t know who that is.

(noboxes) #13

There’s some mention of anchoring here, along with other details. I know drop “darts” are routine for deep mooring in soft bottoms, i just didn’t know what was used to moor the FLIP. It’s worth noting that because the FLIP cannot pull and set the anchors, it doesn’t carry them either, they are carried and set by the towing/support ship.

People often think this ship is bending some laws of physics, but a submarine can do it, and they weigh twice as much. Once upon a time, the usa almost did this in each sub routinely, called “emergency broach”. To me, it looks more impressive when the old diesel-electrics did it, because some of them (way back when) were beyond their crush depth when standing on end (300ft long, 300ft rated), and the best could move only half as fast as a nuke can. The nuke can broach using the full power of it’s reactor, the diesel-electrics do it only on battery power!

The usa nuke sub sliced open a Japanese ship, the Ehime Maru, some years ago doing this maneuver.

But i am rambling again.