Space, the final frontier

Not ‘outer space’,…

How large is your planned build?

So far, I have 3 workable concepts, for launching from a ramp or dock of 36-60 ft width. How wide and how long a ramp and/or build space do you think you might need?

(noboxes) #2

Steel usually comes in 20ft lengths, coincidently a 20 ft wide is probably the largest easily moved to a ramp and allowed into the water in a controlled fashion. Overly wide floaties can be mated up 20ft sections after launch, and possibly just built entirely on the water later.

For many reasons, i don’t see a SSB as a boat fab yard, I wouldn’t want to see money poured into the ability to build and launch huge structures. I know of one small boat fab that folded after people moved in nearby and complained about the noise he was making. Small stuff can be made up inside, where you’d want to be out of the sun/rain/wind anyhow, and where there’s several overhead bridge cranes.

(Larry G) #3

Appropriate land use zone is a key point for a seastead base…

It’s got to be at least light industrial.

I would venture to say a protected area seastead still needs to be on the order of a large house. So at least 60’, better 100’ in at least one dimension, and at least 30’ in each dimension. Plus room to maneuver it onto a ramp or mechanism for launching.

I think we should keep this discussion in your incubator thread, Jeff. Objections to moving it?

I think it needs its own topic. People need to be considering dimensions.

@Octavian What kind of dimensions, with draft, are you expecting? I know you are planning to have that enclosed bay/harbor area…

(Larry G) #6

ok then, carry on…

Yes, I would agree with AT LEAST 60’ LOA.

My design is scalable and it uses rafted up, equilateral, 60 degrees “bow angle” rhomboid modules with 3 basic functionality: residential, commercial and public-recreational areas, mostly a “hybrid” design of all 3 in each module.

I can hardly imagine a module smaller than 33’ x 20’ with 4’-5’ draft, 2(+) decks each, with a total area of 660 sq.ft.

Shown bellow at scale. Configuration can vary according to needs and location.

I would start at the bow and keep on adding,… :blush:

(noboxes) #8

At 4ft, that’s 84 tons of water displaced.

Off topic, irrelevant and wrong as always.

(noboxes) #10

The topic here is space, i calculated the space you described. How is it anything, you old drunk.

Not displacement. Displacement is irrelevant to this conversation.

You got it wrong.

Obviously you like to hear that “piss off” over and over again.

(noboxes) #12

What do you think 33 x 20 x 4 x 64 is?

Reputation blockchain
(noboxes) #13

Wait, i was being empathetic to your poor math skills. Forget that. Go to hell.

Is 33 x 20 x 4. Do math not meth.

Done that and saw you dwelling there full time. I left ASAP.

(noboxes) #15

You are deliberately picking a fight.

Nope. Just exercising my freedom of speach and standing my ground. Both perfectly legal in Florida.

(bill mapezzi) #17

well…I can’t say for sure if your displacement calculations are spot on, because the full section is not shown (here). I t could turn out to be that diving bell type thing that was discussed a week or two ago. but nix the wrong as always anyways, you are correct (as you understand it).

(noboxes) #18

No you aren’t, you only think you are.

Just because somebody “thinks” they “understand” doesn’t make them correct.

All it matters here is draft since in an

per conversation at hand.

So, you would want a shallow draft seastead that can be floated in shallow waters, close to shore, to start up.

As it stands, I can float 1000 of the above modules in 10’ of water, displace 36,000.00 tons total AND sit on the bottom at low tide on bilge keels, if needed.

That’s where the major advantage is,… not in whatever the displacement is,…as Noboxes “thinks” that she “correctly understands” …

(noboxes) #20

You win! Wooooooo! I’m an asshole!