Software tools for simulating seastead designs?

(Chad Elwartowski) #1

I have been looking at Solidworks to do some tweaking of my seastead design in a computer simulated environment. I like this tool because it can simulate the effects of water pressure on a design in a dynamic way (higher pressure at lower depths).

There are many engineering formulas included and many different sets of materials along with their physical characteristics.

However the price is a bit prohibitive, $4k plus $1250 per year for the basic package, close to $10k all together for their premium suite.

Any suggestions on similar simulation software that could provide the best bang for the buck?

(Theodore M. Amenta) #2

I get it. Try sketch up — Simple but effective. T

(.) #3

I tried sketch up. It is good. Matias Volco knows a lot about it.
I learned a lot, but my knowledge is minimal.

(Danil Kanevets) #4

There is a program called Katia or Catia, that simulates stress on 3d models. The licence costs about 100k€, but you can use it for free, as long as it´s used for non profit projects.

(Jake Rosoman) #5

Fusion 360 has that feature and is free for startups

(Chad Elwartowski) #6

Thanks for the info. I use sketchup for basic drawings but I will definitely try the other stress test software.

(Larry G) #7

(.) #8

DELFTship is working. Now I have to find out how to use it.
Thank’s for the link.

(.) #9

DELFTship works and sketchup work too separately.
It would be nice to be able to 3d draw something in sketchup and evaluate it in DELFTship.
I might have to use some conversion program kind of thing 3dCAD to convert sketchup to
a 3dCAD file and evaluate that with DELFTship.

3d models of sketchup are in a 3d warehouse:

(Larry G) #10

(.) #11

Who was deleted? Now we know how to get an account deleted.

A good list of applicable marine design low cost, or freeware that I have posted before:

(system) #13

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.