"Check the standards for off-shore accommodations and work platforms:
This still seems focused on a collection of individual family-sized seasteads, rather that a community that recognizes that there will need to be common areas/infrastructure and some degree of integration. From an efficiency/reduced duplication and economy of scale standpoint.
How many trips to the mainland and how many deliveries and tons per capita from the mainland per month or per year do you envision meets the definition of self-sufficiency for you or the requirements above? I think some systems engineering may be needed here. There may be some models:
- Antarctic research station (remote, cargo dependent)
- Mongolian nomads (seastead emphasis on fishing instead, 2 or 3 gatherings/year for trade, primative)
- Native American fishing village
- Del Webb retirement communities
- Old Greenbelt, MD (the idea behind it)
Where do you see the seastead model falling in this spectrum? I think there is a critical mass of a few hundred people, somewhere between a native American fishing village and a Del Webb retirement community that makes sense and that my family would consider participating in. For you, maybe this is seastead population wave 2, and some of the pioneers would move on at that point?
Here is a relevant factoid regarding the lack of self-sufficiency in the US population:
“…Since each person in the U.S. requires the movement of approximately 40 tons of freight every year, many of the goods people use daily are either wholly shipped or contain components shipped by rail. Of rail freight, 91 percent are bulk commodities, such as agriculture and energy products, automobiles and components, construction materials, chemicals, coal, equipment, food, metals, minerals, and paper and pulp. The remaining 9 percent is intermodal traffic which generally consists of consumer goods and other miscellaneous products.”
How many tons of freight per capita going to the seastead would be an objective that would be considered self-sufficiency?
BTW: THANKS! for the link to the Global Village Construction Set. The name reminded me of the quip that if we are going to have a global village we need to get use to the idea of the global village idiot . But seriously, the infrastructure, inputs, and talents necessary to make (most of) those 50 items might be a good definition of minimal infrastructure for self-sufficiency. For example, could one collect and solar smelt manganese nodules for the metals required? Could one 3D print plastics produced from algae or fish oils, or could one collect enough plastic flotsam in some areas of the oceans?