Seasteads with role | dedicated purpose islands | fasttrack progress islands | industrial production islands | oceanic business alliance

(Wilfried Ellmer) #1

I would like to propose seasteads where the inhabitants are on a dedicated plan (some proposals here) this can be a wide range of concepts like | beer brewery stead | heavy lifting service stead | financial service seastead | pension care island | rocket scientist gifted kid education island | shopping and fun island | space port island | med research island | disaster help island | daytourism waterpark island | naval training facility | marine research | free banking bitcoin island | etc. etc.

Being out of anybodies “peddling hindering political and monopolistic motivated regulation” is an ASSET of its own on a planet in urgent need for fast, unrestricted progress … and large scale solutions

Two especially interesting concepts i want to explore later in the thread:

| housing space mass fabrication island | volcanic concrete island | which are both concepts that take special advantage of the | mobility of the seas | …

Picture the Ramform | get invested | get started | oceanic business alliance
How a permanent human presence in the deep ocean might look like
550000 miles of cable hidden under the ocean that power the internet | oceanic business alliance
Special purpose seasteading | floating laboratory | logistics service | floating industry | oceanic business alliance
Breakaway Civilization | Seasteading | Ocean Colonization | Advanced Oceanic Cities | Atlantis | Enlightenment | Oceanic Business Alliance | next big thing in business
Intellectual Property on Seasteads
San Jose found - 1000 more sunken galleons out there | oceanic business alliance
Everything submersible is expensive and complicated - really? | oceanic business alliance
Submarine Robot Factory
Special purpose seasteading | floating laboratory | logistics service | floating industry | oceanic business alliance
End of Year Message
Podcast: Texas Lawyer interviews Seavangelist. Politically Fight or Create?
550000 miles of cable hidden under the ocean that power the internet | oceanic business alliance
San Jose found - 1000 more sunken galleons out there | oceanic business alliance
Breakwater Design

Depends on the size of islands and how far apart they are. You put all your really smart kids and educate them really well, and they don’t have much social interaction with anybody else. You put your elderly on an island and then it’s more of a hassle (again, depending on how far apart they are) for the kids to go see grandma, or vice-versa. If they’re a cluster of islands linked by bridges, then I can see that. But in my opinion, it’s better to just let the normal mix of buildings and people happen.

I can, however, see separate islands for things like universities (but not necessarily too far off so you can get the “college town” as well) that have a lot of their own buildings in a cluster. Also, things like sewage, power generation (although many aspects of power generation should be spread out across the seastead) namely the methane digester/burner thing mentioned in Sewage an Food thread; and probably main hydroponics/agriculture nearby. Things like a big port facility would also have their own “island”.

For related things that need lots of space and have many different components and buildings, it makes sense to give them their own island.

The Non-Pareill Institute would be a good model. They key on education, socialization and productivity, with people of various degrees of autism.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #4

One of the meta purposes of seasteading is unleash potential - so why not the potential of autistic persons…

You can do that on land, but no one will. There’s too much spent on keeping them out of “normal” society, and a $billion caretaker profession to “deal with” them. Plus, a seastead will need actively productive people to make the seastead support itself. Shipping all those with autism off to a seastead will be no different than having 1800’s leper colony islands, or xenophobic concentration camps.

[/quote]

Non-Pareill Institute is changing that.

It looks like it’s only a business to making video games. Slap “institute” on anything and make it sound academic, like “The Seasteading Institute”. There’s a business in Netherlands 10 yrs ago that hires only autistic people for programming. Apple once expressed an interest in the idea, but i don’t know that they have done anything.

Nope. They educate and socialize as part of their programming. I’ve followed them for several years. The entire project is profitable, from the programming, but that took time. They aren’t creating a slave-labor system. Their goal is to create functional people from non-functional people with autism. Kind of like a State School system, with half-way-houses, where the residents that are capable move further out of the core and into independence. I have personal experience with that, since I had an Uncle that was in a State supported living center, and various half-way-houses. He was borderline on it, so he never actually went independent, but went back and forth between the enclosed State School and the half-way-houses.

Let me see if I can get Gary in here to help explain…

My concept of assisted living: bridge crane to lift stuff, handtrucks and ATV and cars and boats to transport me and my stuff around, floaties to prevent sinking, garden and other hobbies for physical therapy, internet for intellectual data.

(Lorenz Donndorf) #11

Marine Research stations and maybe even Naval Academies could be located on seasteads, as it would perfectly serve the purpose

(Jonas Smith) #12

“There’s many, many exciting and important things you could do that you just can’t do because they are illegal or they are not allowed by regulation.”

Like force children to work in dirty factories. Or sell paint made with lead. Or mix melamine into baby formula and ship it around the world.

Regulations and rules have a purpose. Even Larry Page knows that, as you can see from the next line of that speech:

“There’s many, many exciting and important things you could do that you just can’t do because they are illegal or they are not allowed by regulation. And that makes sense, we don’t want our world to change too fast.”

He goes on to say:

“But maybe we should set aside some small part of the world … I think as technologists we should have some safe places where we can try out some new things and figure out: What is the effect on society? What is the effect on people? Without having to deploy it into the normal world. And people who like those kinds of things can go there and experience that.”

Which is what TSI used to say, and which is why I have been saying we need a fully sovereign seastead so we can experiment like this.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #13

nice argument if fasttrack would be “optional” - unfortunatly it is not…“land based business as usual” is not feasible anymore…

Semi-intelligent buildings for assistive living?

I don’t know about the use of “assistive” in the title. It’s like me saying i use a bridge crane to lift 1/2 ton items, i use a power saw to assist me cutting things, i use electric lights to assist me seeing at night, and i sit in a motorized vehicle because i am unable to carry 20 bags of groceries 10 miles home from the grocery store. If the described system works, it would improve safety, lower cost of building operations, improve comfort, automate basic repetitive or unpleasant chores, keep alert for unusual conditions (fire, freezer failed, pirates, etc), for anyone living or working there. That said, my experience with programming Ai (with gigabytes of cached data, similar in function to IBM’s Watson) is that no one wants it. It also attracts investors, which drives the price up to Unaffordable, so even more don’t want it.

To my way of thinking, reducing chores, and increasing safety would be beneficial. Regardless of the description, the application can come in many flavors. Suppose we have a Roomba, to clean the floor in a particular room. A sensory and command system can detect when people are most absent, so the thing can clean the floor more thoroughly, without interruption, also removing the likelihood of tripping on the thing, as it either performs its’ duties, or scurries back to its’ hidey-hole.

Regarding pre-built dedicated-purpose floating islands, i think no one has a clue what purpose to build to, what specs, and what to say to a business to get them to move out there. It’s like the archetectural firm making fancy cgi grounds layout for a college, pouring the concrete pathways, but then everyone walks somewhere else, and so the college puts in barriers to keep people off the grass. The smart thing to do is plant grass everywhere, see where the foot traffic is for a year, and pour the walkways there.

I said Ephemerisle was a great shot in the foot. Because no business or home owner really wants to be there 10 days and then be gone. From year to year, someone should have put in a tension leg mooring grid with buoys, some stable docks, and basic infrastructure (a barge, basic lighting electricity, bbq grills, picnic tables, etc, even if some that’s shut off during “off-season”), had arrangements with a marina and a fast food store and “fast shopping store”. Maybe kept someone(s) onsite year around after the 2nd or 3rd Ephemerisle, making it less ephemeral, more of a “i wonder what they are doing there this weekend”. Each year, just add a little bit. I keep thinking each year’s Ephemerisle’s downsides contributed to the next year’s downsides, and with the money TSI had to start with, and the founding people’s vision otherwise, Ephemerisle would have turned into some version of Marinea by the 5th year. A dedicated purpose or two might have evolved, other than being a vacation resort, once people were there, and a stable infrastructure year round was active.

Sorry for being so picky and negative.

Well, yeas, but that’s like automowers cutting the grass when people are not playing croquet. Or turning off lites when no one is there. Or getting “alarmed” when someone is walking around after all the identified occupants have left for the weekend. Or turning on garden irrigation when there’s been no rain and there’s no rain in the forecast. All that is possible and being done now, it’s just not a single integrated system.

I think you guys are mostly looking at this the wrong way. I see way to many “assisted living” things based off technology to make our lives easier. This isn’t really (I think) the point of the thread. It’s more along the lines of putting related things on their own steads for convenience.

For example, any stead could have docks, but it would take a special purpose-build stead to have the docking space and facilities for handling large cargo vessels. You’d need cranes, warehouses, repair facilities, ect… It’s much easier to have all this on a single stead than spread out around town.

What i said is you don’t know when or where you would ever need those things, until someone has a reason to be there and need them. So building them now would be a waste of money. Had Ephemerisle turned into a permanent offshore neighborhood, perhaps it would have evolved a need to offload shipping containers from ships.