Seasteading for Rare Earth Mineral Mining?

(Tom Schaefer) #1

An atol this size cannot support a mining population necessary to exploit this enormous resource. Could this be Seasteading’s starting economic raison d’être?

(Wilfried Ellmer) #2

mining is among the big five reasons for ocean colonization… | oceanic transport | oceanic energy | oceanic real estate | oceanic mining | oceanic aquaculture |

context - google searches: | big five of ocean colonization | vent base alpha | deep sea mining |

(Alexander Tomasik) #3

A semi-infinite supply isn’t rare… :thinking:

(noboxes) #4

There’s not much of these metals on Earth where anyone can get to it. However, the maps of this stuff in the report show it to be ~5.8km / 3.6miles deep, so it’s going to be rare for a while longer. It’s definately deep sea mining.

Also: lots of overburden. It’s not on  the bottom of the ocean, it’s under  the bottom. Previous requests for permission to mine in these conditions were refused because the drift of silt in the ocean currents was deemed to be pollution. Those who have used a shovel on the bottom to move silt (dig up an anchor, sunken treasure, lost pocket watch, etc), know what i mean, it’s inevitable you will make huge drifting clouds, and impossible to control them. Either the entire overburden must be vacuumed up and not put back down, or the laws regarding silt drift must be changed.

(Alexander Tomasik) #5

I’m calling shenanigans; they probably found some hidden archeological stuff under the sea.