Seasteading for Dummies

Since all the posts, comments and ideas on this Seasteading Forum could easily fit into a book, why not just do so?

Maybe if we publish it, we can finally build one :smile:

(Jonas Smith) #2

Because people can’t even decide on what seasteading is, let alone explain it to others.

when I first heard about it it seemed pretty well defined. A bunch of floating platforms that were interchangeable and so allowed sections to be spilt off or joined so each could be their own sovergn body to test out different societal and political structures. See what works for humans and at what scale, who is more efficient and sustainable. I know this is a dumbed down explanation but there is really only a basic explanation of what it “is” and the mission for each sovergn seastead may differ. The foundation has a mission statement doesn’t it? I have to revisit the site it’s been a long time. Either way I think there has to be a general explanation but beyond that a book could explore the theoretical implications for advancement in a wide spectrum of areas like science, technology, sustainability, medical, etc I’d buy that book

One of the best definitions I’ve heard so far.

It is Seasteading for Dummies… :slight_smile:

How much would you be willing to pay for it? :wink:

Hmmmm $18 get started :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
And thank you for the compliment

(Jonas Smith) #6

Same here. When the term was first coined it was a “homestead on the sea”. Hence the portmanteau: sea-stead.

It has quickly become confused, however. There is nothing regarding achieving sovereignty and autonomy in a homestead on the sea. A homestead was a specific piece of land that a homesteader labored on, so you would expect a seastead to be a specific piece of sea that a seassteader labored on. However most people involved want their seasteads to have a mobile, nomadic component that does not fit with the traditional homestead idea. There was also nothing “interchangeable” or “modular” about homesteads.

So it isn’t as easy as that. For me, I don’t think any inclusion of “interchangeable” or “sections to be split off” should be part of the definition of seastead, because I have yet to be convinced that “dynamic geography” is even possible let alone a viable engineering idea.

(Jonas Smith) #7

But of course if someone writes a book they are more than welcome to use whatever definition they wish.

But be aware that “For Dummies” is a brand name, and you can’t write a book with that title on your own. You have to submit a proposal to John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

Also Joe Quirk is still supposedly publishing the “Seasteading Book” in 2015 so you’ll have to compete with him! :wink:

http://www.seasteading.org/book/seasteading-book-beta/

I hear you. The definition of stead is basically a place or position occupied by a person so not having “home” on the front of that could potentially really change its definition. Since the sea is basically boundless and the place being occupied is free moving then I think it can still function in this way under the name seastead. I may be splitting hairs in not sure. There definitely should be something about achieving sovergnty or autonomy otherwise this is will just be an extension of corruption and corporate control or agenda. That in my opinion would be horrible it’d be like taking the breath out of humanities last hope to rise up to our full potential. But again just an opinion we all have them. As far as the engineering well I’m not an engineer but I don’t think its an unobtainable goal just perhaps not matching a timeline we would all prefer. If that meant making a set amount of singular platforms I think it would raise a lot of challenges as to the goal that embraces the speed of evolution, a dynamic and interchangeable system could accomplish apposed to a traditional land based, border centric, logistically hampered system can. That is in regards to certain goals really such as political. Data can be shared easily so if something is data based that wouldn’t be hindered. I hope that doesn’t come across as too confusing the way I worded it. I just hope it’s established to allow flourishment

“Dynamic geography” could work when we are talking about several “floating cities” rafted up under “one government”. If one of those floating cities gets pissed off with the current “government”, they just disengage from the raft up, move on somewhere else and form a new “government”.

But we are way far from that,…

Yeah right! Submit proposal my butt. I’ll just spell “dummies” with one M, “dumies” and be done with it :wink:

Haha or you could write it Dummy’s

$18 is good.

I did get started. It’s right here, all this will be in the book. Well,…if you agree with it, I’ll pay royalties. I’ll keep 30% off the top (net top) and split the 70% between the rest of “contributors”. Are you IN or OUT? :smile:

I’m in! I’ll cover marketing at the local watering hole :wink:

I really was excited when I heard about the forum here it is an important piece of development. So any book about seasteading should at least reference it

OK, you got it.

Maybe it should be an ebook,…nobody reads paper anymore :blush:

Haha you read my mind; print is dead

(Jonas Smith) #16

Yes, I understand what it means on paper. I just haven’t seen an actual design that would work in the real world. It works fine for modules on the periphery, they are only connected to one other module so they can easily disengage and float away. How do you deal with modules that are on the interior of the “raft up”? If they have connections to multiple other modules, simply disengaging isn’t an option because that impacts other modules infrastructure services. It will also have an impact on the overall stability of the structure.

Sorry, this is a bit off-topic. I’m just trying to say that explaining seasteads might not be so cut-and-dry.

(Jonas Smith) #17

Agreed, and there are many options out there these days to self-publish. You don’t even need to engage a publisher or anything…

Be careful…companies take trademarks very seriously. Remember this little battle:

Granted Notch finally won, but that’s because he had the money to fight…

I agree that it’s not so simple. But as I said, “dynamic geography” is too far away from us to worry about. By the time seasteading will have to deal with seccesionist modules on the inside of the raft up, we’ll be long gone. I’m sure they’ll figure a vertical take off from “formation” at some point, trying to skip on the water and the electrical bill owned to Unclea Seastead :slight_smile:

True, but for only $18 we’ll give them a simplified, “my way or the highway” version. I’m sure you could pitch in on that one :wink:

(Jonas Smith) #19

Ha! I guess for $18 we can’t be blamed for skipping out on the complicated stuff! :wink:

Rather than use the ‘for Dummies’, why not use ‘for Americans (or their intellectual equivalents)’?