SeaSteading City Theory….Why The SeaStead Prototypes are Doomed to Fail

(Wilfried Ellmer) #42

you might want to read this

Further reference to investigate in the forum search function:

| bubble cluster concept | bow concept | Draupner | ocean sphere | price points | building methods | small starting points | comfort | solving the bottleneck | transition capacity |

I don’t think it can be done that way. The hull is the ‘foundation’ of the structure. I’m not even going to try to approach hurricane worthiness. Even the Navies, with massive ships, aren’t that foolhardy.

Start with a hull design that is proven in stormy conditions, such as those currently deployed to the North Sea, which has some of the nastiest storms, short of hurricanes, on the planet.

Even then, those vessels have multiple additional systems to make them tolerable, for storms… Active roll/heave-damping systems being a primary requirement.

Anchorage/mooring needs to either be flexible enough to allow weather-vaning, or rigid enough to be stationary under all expected conditions. N’Kossa barge is a good example of the latter, but it’s also 4-5 times the size of the TSI proposed 50m by 50m barge/condo.

Basically, design for the worst conditions you expect to handle, and be prepared to move, when something approaching those levels heads your way, to run and return another day. That said, there are plenty of places where there are minimal storm issues. I’ve posted NOAA hurricane maps, other conditions, such as fault-lines and earthquake activity need to be taken into account, as well.

(GP) #44

Yes, very grateful. I’ll check it out.

(GP) #45

Elmer… tell me more about your role in the SeaStead community? My impression is you have a good insight to some inexpensive (relatively inexpensive) technologies…is that correct? Do you specialize in the ‘floating’ side of the SeaStead.

Like I’ve said, I’m very new to the technology itself. That is good and bad. Good because I don’t have a favorite, per se, and I’m not limited by the limits of technology, bad because I’m possibly going to suggest things that have already been discussed…

(GP) #46

I would like to know if there is a prototyping method developed.

Think in terms of OPEN SOURCE. Do we have anyone building these things - testing them? I’d be nice to get 100’s-1000’s of prototypes to start experimenting.

(GP) #47

Elmer, do you know how to contact, Chris Muglia Managing Director at the Seasteading Institute? He was featured on a recent podcast and both he and the other speaker were actually onto the idea I’ve had regarding cost effective SeaSteads.

@joequirk and @RandolphHencken would be the correct people to ask. Ellmer is a member here, like most of us, rather than a functionary of TSI.

(system) closed #49

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.