Seasteading Book | comming out in March | Simon & Schuster

(Wilfried Ellmer) #1

Seasteading Book | comming out in March

@joequirk | any comments ?

• What are the base Hypothesis and Arguments ?
• What do you want to achieve with it ?
• Ready to release something in public or prefer private space to talk?

context:

I assume you will extend on this… | emergent society | fight or create | seasteading on the centerstage for solving the most urgent issues of mankind | openess of minds and codes as key to the future |

(Wilfried Ellmer) #2

TSI has put a target number on the floating real estate square foot USD 500

toughts on this ?

My own endeavor for my Ramform redesign should come in at around $100/sq ft. Still pricey, equivalent to luxury home costs, but far more readily accessible by a DIYer.

Kathy is building with sheet steel, even cheaper, and my oversized Little SSLV should also be cheaper.

The SSLV is, and my larger version are intended to be trailerable, modular construction systems, so, expandable, as well, though all of my concepts are homes, rather than building a floating condo.

This is more inline with the original concept of seasteading as homesteading at sea.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #4

@JL_Frusha | Thanks, do you have links to the two projects you mentioned ? - so those interested might get more info about them…

actually i just asked for LINKS so those interested in your stuff can follow (and leave this thread for good) while the thread core group which is interested in Joe Quirks Seasteading Book can keep talking about the book here WITHOUT getting (involuntaryly) a "frusha thing" stuffed in tedious length - as you do below...it is about interference freedom...staying on topic... and reading experience... link is good - off topic stuffing is bad.
context: | seasteading and [interference freedom break away](https://discuss.seasteading.org/t/breakaway-civilization-seasteading-ocean-colonization-advanced-oceanic-cities-atlantis-enlightenment-oceanic-business-alliance-next-big-thing/2091/) |

They’re both posted in this forum. Hard to link using a phone. That will have to wait until tomorrow evening.

How a modified Little SSLV might be made 22’6" Beam, 36’ LOA, with 28ft Airstream for cabin…
(Note: Gives approx 8ft by 36ft deck to port and starboard, uses 12 22ft trusses for joists/spreaders and legs, plus would need diagonal tensioning, with stays and turnbuckles)

(Wilfried Ellmer) #7

@joequirk - Joe, do you have an update how the book presale phase comes along ?

(Wilfried Ellmer) #8

The introduction certainly sounds promising ! - i will definitly read it.

How Floating Nations Will Restore the Environment, Enrich the Poor, Cure the Sick, and Liberate Humanity from Politicians

By Joe Quirk
With: Patri Friedman

Two-thirds of our globe is Planet Ocean, not Planet Earth.

Imagine a vast new source of sustainable and renewable energy that would also bring more equitable economies. A previously untapped source of farming that could produce significant new sources of nutrition. Future societies where people could choose the communities they want to live in, free from the restrictions of conventional citizenship. This bold vision of our near future as imagined in Seasteading attracted the powerful support of Silicon Valley’s Peter Thiel—and it may be drawing close to reality.

Our planet is suffering from serious environmental problems: coastal flooding due to severe storms caused in part by atmospheric pollution and diminishing natural resources among them. But the seas can be home to a new breed of pioneers, seasteaders, who are willing to homestead the Blue Frontier. Oil platforms and cruise ships already inhabit the waters; now it’s time to take the next step to full-fledged ocean civilizations.

Joe Quirk and Patri Friedman show us how cities built on floating platforms in the ocean will work, and they profile some of the visionaries who are implementing basic concepts of seasteading today. An entrepreneur’s dream, these floating cities will become laboratories for innovation and creativity. Seasteading may be visionary, but it already has begun proving the adage that yesterday’s science fiction is tomorrow’s science fact. Welcome to seavilization.

@joequirk | @RandolphHencken … any further comment on the book comming out in March ?

(Wilfried Ellmer) #9

The book is now available on amazon

Two-thirds of our globe is Planet Ocean, not Planet Earth.

Imagine a vast new source of sustainable and renewable energy that would also bring more equitable economies. A previously untapped source of farming that could produce significant new sources of nutrition. Future societies where people could choose the communities they want to live in, free from the restrictions of conventional citizenship. This bold vision of our near future as imagined in Seasteading attracted the powerful support of Silicon Valley’s Peter Thiel—and it may be drawing close to reality.

Our planet is suffering from serious environmental problems: coastal flooding due to severe storms caused in part by atmospheric pollution and diminishing natural resources among them. But the seas can be home to a new breed of pioneers, seasteaders, who are willing to homestead the Blue Frontier. Oil platforms and cruise ships already inhabit the waters; now it’s time to take the next step to full-fledged ocean civilizations.

Joe Quirk and Patri Friedman show us how cities built on floating platforms in the ocean will work, and they profile some of the visionaries who are implementing basic concepts of seasteading today. An entrepreneur’s dream, these floating cities will become laboratories for innovation and creativity. Seasteading may be visionary, but it already has begun proving the adage that yesterday’s science fiction is tomorrow’s science fact. Welcome to seavilization.

(Chad Elwartowski) #10

Sweet. I’ll have to order it. But get it for 15% off at http://www.purse.io :wink:

(Tim) #11

Book reading in progress. It takes some days more to get it in France (and without any discount because in France the books prices are fixed).