Seastead Storm Survival Mode

(stephen russell) #1

For Ext & interior designs:

Retractable Water shields to protect Upper Colony Levels from rogue wave, storm surges
OR
Have whole Surface Colony Section submerge ( see 007 Atlantis, Stromberg, Spy Who Loved Me).
Shields would deflect water away from Main Colony.
Reuse wind screens to deflect water waves.
Internal shields over hatchways & ladders.

For Rogue waves, storm surges alone IE undersea quakes, volcanoes.

From distance colony would like a huge Mercury or Gemini capsule when Sealed Up or
massive “cement” dome.
Antenna array would retract into Island Core.

In effect the Colony would be a massive Non Moving Submarine.

Ballast for lift only.

Rigged with sensors & alarms for colonists to take Deep shelters for storms.

Need RWS: Rogue Wave sensor array worldwide.

For all Seasteads worldwide.

1966 movie Around the World Under the Sea denotes sub planting quake sensors worldwide Then
Now need same Today & add Rogue Wave sensors.

Deep Shelters are Panic Rooms for colonists to escape for colonies at Mid Sea range level IE 1K miles from shore nearest.

Colonies though sealed up do have acess hatches for teams to enter when Sealed Up.

Must be Designed into all Colonies esp those Mid Ocean Range if any.
Or mobile.

Must for any colony in, near Bermuda Triangle, Japan Triangle areas alone.

WAVE-E "Wave Breaker" Contest
(Wilfried Ellmer) #2

The ocean sphere is Draupner wave impact safe for a open seastead concrete shell building is required.

(stephen russell) #3

Good 2 know, for those colonies in Mid Ocean since some may be Near shore types IE like oil rig distance from shore, correct.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #4

@admnelson1, stephen, a seastead development will go trough phases the early phases will be shore near, once City size is reached the business model will be similar to VENICE.

(Sheldon Robertson) #5

I’m surprised no one is bringing up concrete spar bouy type structures. Build one similar to oil rigs and it can raise or lower it’s self at will using sea water as ballast, like submarines. Keep it at a rouge wave safe height unless it is absolutely necessary to be lower.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #6

because it is a awful expensiv concept (methods) bringing up real estate square meters at extremly high prices compared to other methods and distributes the living space verticallly which is the worst possible configuration. Basicly making a lift like in a skyscraper a project obligation. Neither Oil drilling technology nor ship technology can not lead to affordable real estate square meters what makes the experiment pointless.

When thinking about tubular structures think blimp shapes that conserve mobility.

can be with a tubular connection to the surface

Wilfried Ellmer on an early tubular blimp shape prototype (1992)

Ocean Sphere Concept, storm survival, comfort

Wouldn’t even a small seastead be big enough that storms wouldn’t be that much of a problem? Yeah, shut your windows and stuff, but a colony would have a significant amount of buffer around it to protect it. Instead of building narrow and up, try lower and more spread out. A large, low, colony would be impossible to flip because it is so big. Imagine it like a target. The bulls eye is the city itself, the next ring would be some sort of coral reef buffer, then the next ring would be a rigid concrete barrier and wave break. It would be maybe a story and a half to two stories high above water, and the outer face of it would be a smooth angle up to break the force of waves. The distance between the inner wall of this ring and the outer layer of city would be perhaps 1/5th of a mile, giving the wave plenty of time to dissipate over the barrier reef.

(Kurt Laipple) #8

Shimizu’s Ocean Spiral conecpt has an ocean sphere connected to ocean bottom concept that pulls the sphere 30m under the waves during typhoons via sand/air ballasts, and a floating seawall to buffer waves around the perimeter.

http://www.shimz.co.jp/english/theme/dream/oceanspiral.html

(Sheldon Robertson) #9

Ok, so you are imagining/planning on a structure with at least one dimension of 1km? That would house a couple/few thousand. I was imagining single to ten family seastead platforms with dimensions on the order of 10~100m.

Now that I have adjusted my thinking, and maybe this is a topic for another board, breakwater made of biorock/sea-ment with latex/graphene air filled bladders arranged hexagonally to make a floating lattice with coral on the outside.

(Sheldon Robertson) #10

It would provide storm protection and be self repairing in case of erosion etc. The bladders would cause the biorock to grow into a 3d honeycomb structure with the air providing bouyency.

Pretty much my idea. Also, remember there will be a lot of breakwater for even a little bit of city. Also, since I think for self providing cities, there will need to be room for growing food, green space, energy harvesting, water generation, ect… Maybe a couple hundred for a city that size. Also, my thinking scale could be off a bit.

(Sheldon Robertson) #12

I read you lima charlie, but take into account that maritime trade cities grow wealth rapidly, most seastead will not have any trouble getting food by the time they are phase three cities. The Venice example is commonly brought up for a reason. Isolation as a security strategy is always temporary. It cannot be effective as a long term plan. Read the 48 laws of power and the 33 strategies of war. Authors last name is Greene. I will look up isbn when I get off work. We need strategic thought. Strategically avoiding conflict whenever possible is the truest path to prosperity and security.

(stephen russell) #13

Agreed, thats why I wrote my ideas for Island Security etc.
See blog about Seastead Defense, Jailing inmates etc.

It is true that a seastead COULD get food pretty easily from outside sources. Emphasis on COULD.
However, what kind of strategy is it to rely primarily on outside sources for food? The way climate change is shaping up, land-based agriculture is going to get less and less dependable, with areas getting either pretty bad droughts or bad flooding. Governments are going to be in trouble, I doubt that things will be very stable over all. Gas prices will go up, and with it the price of food created through industrial agriculture and shipped by freighter. We would be much better off trying to be an “out of the way” sort of place, trying to stay out of the probable collapse of civilization as we know it.

Isolation may be temporary in today’s world and in the past, but it will get much more useful again in the future. As gas prices go up and we run out of oil, isolation will be a much more viable strategy, combined with self-producing whatever we need is the best option we got.

As a preemptive argument to Ellmer, and as a response to you OIF; wealth is not always security, as you throw around in the ubiquitous example of Venice. As you point out, Venice power-brokered to stay out of conflicts and keep itself supplies. However, with the collapse of governments because of climate change (which leads to food shortages which is the root cause of many problems; think “the belly rules the mind”.), wealth will become of little importance. When there is no central governments and everything kind of devolves into small bands, groups, and city-stateish things, isolation will be the way to go. With no gasoline to power large warships (including the electricity for modern weapon systems), no missiles and other weapons capable of hitting a seastead from a long ways away, isolation is key. With governments and armed forces really too small to launch an effective campaign against a small seastead nation; and not enough resources and manpower to get an expedition far off into the ocean, isolation is the way to go.

Also, I love how this is the storm survival thread, and we have devolved into a question of security.

(Matias Volco) #15

Thank you for Shimizu.
If already a huge sphere why does it need to fully submerge during typhoons? Is the “roof” less resistant than its walls? A draupner wave is, as far as I know, not as predictable as a typhoon or even a tsunami (which at high sea might only be a couple of inches high)
Why does it need a breakwater?
Thanks

(Kurt Laipple) #16

Probably just for comfort of those inside.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #17

Given my experience with a ballasted blimp shape this is probably just a “concept overkill from a unexperienced designer”…

A 500m sphere is absolutly stable in any ocean condition. Even a 2,5m sphere (or blimp) is so stable that you do not notice a storm inside strong enough to make 14 foot yachts set up mayday calls. Have been there have tested that - personally.

My early prototype in the water, not ballasted yet, me on top of it freeing the crane.

The same hull ballasted with a tower structure on top to keep waves clear from the entrance. The hull is mostly under water now.

inside the hull on the anchor place. I was tooling down here installing some tanks when a storm came up - i did only notice it when i opened the hatch and found that storm rescue operations where in development around my boat. You imagine the kind of cero movement i experienced inside.

For the ocean sphere we suggest the same principle. Ocean sphere from below.

Ocean sphere from above.

Ocean sphere inside

It is obvious that such a ocean sphere will neither have to fear draupner waves nor move in a storm.
This is a key requirement for any open ocean seastead.

A sphere is the most efficient way to enclose the biggest amount of livng space with the lessest amount of material in the strongest possible way.

See more concepts that have storm survival capacity in open sea :

(Kurt Laipple) #18

I see. They probably won’t begin with such a large scale, though. They have smaller versions of the ocean spiral that may need the mentioned features.

(system) closed #19

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.