Seastead Residence and Bed & Breakfast?

I can’t see it, need url. Why not use ordinary chainlink fencing? Or weave your own “cloth” with rebar?

Telescoping semi submersible…?

http://missionkraft.com/?page_id=2058

That came out 5 years ago, but i have not seen anything of it since. Got anything new on it?

I don’t, but it gives me another idea… What if submersible sections are built on land, then taken out and the legs are built downward, say, by slip-form geopolymer, sinking the pontoon, as you go, until you reach the distance you need, lock in the platform, connect several in a polygon (2 in parallel, on up) then float the whole thing enough to meet storm conditions?

Maybe build down as far as the deepest local sheltered area allows, float it up, through the deck, go out deeper, lower it and build deeper?

Ekofisk City, How it was done

Stability of Deepwater Drilling Semi-submersibles…

http://www.marin.nl/upload_mm/8/a/9/1799460932_1999999096_2007-PRADS-20285_VoogtSoles.pdf

Review of Issues Associated with the Stability of Semi-submersibles…

Motion analysis of Semi-Submersible

http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:567040/FULLTEXT01.pdf

Well,…where you gonna get the tenth of $ millions to build those structures, and why start that big?

If you want a seastead B&B why not start with something small that’s achievable for under $150k like I was envisioning with the Man Made Key?

Uh… Math much? 1/10th of $1 million is $100,000…,

No, I don’t figure on tens of millions, either. If a floating fish farm capable of permanent housing at sea was $1/4 million in 88, and DIY today, I’d say it would cost about the same, if you knew what the Hell you were doing.

Your foot-thick concrete puts that WAY beyond your estimate, meanwhile, for each $80 bag of concrete, you use, I expect an $18 bill for SuperSoda, diatomaceous earth, and cat-litter. My choice of rebar may cost twice as much, even given equal quantities, but I don’t need foot-thick concrete to beat the sea into submission, either.

What “your foot-thick concrete”?? I never said or planned for “foot thick concrete”.

You are looking at a houseboat rafted up with 3 docks (bow, port and starboard) constructed of 1" thick marine plywood and sheeted with 1.5" ferrocement for strength and free maintenance. In fact, I can build that as shown for around $80k, houseboat included. (minus the PV panels, wind generator and landscaping)

My apologies, I mixed your concept with JWLiberstead’s concept. I hope you will forgive me. I do get some things mixed-up, especially when I’m off my meds and waiting for refills to arrive (est. Tuesday). They help compensate for the stroke damage, though nothing will ever restore all the lost memory. I’ve had at least 7 ‘events’ with 6 documented and at least 1 misdiagnosed one. Roughly a quarter-sized patch of dormant brain cells, located roughly above my left ear, above and behind the temple, and the damned VA is too cheap to get me Hyperbaric O2 therapy, or chamber.

No worries man.

I hope you’ll get your meds in time and feel better.

OT, but my neurologist and I have a love/hate relationship. She’s run every test conceivable, including a DNA profile, to try finding why I’ve had them. Makes me a star-quality guinea-pig. Hates it when I chase her interns back to the records to see what all my testing has revealed. No plaque, no High-Cholesterol, no high BP, no unusual blood-clotting, no genetic syndromes… Trigger may have been a drug interaction, and the subsequent ones are like after-shocks from an earthquake, though, now, even high stress levels can trigger them.

Back on topic: My disability is why I work so hard at finding a way to make seasteading a profitable-for-me concept. If I can get this into the water, one way, or another, I can bring in income that is’t wages, which is allowed, but even OSHA and the business health-insurance folks say I can’t work, ever…

Back on the subject.

My previous research regarding a B&B (or, with other words, a seastead operating in the hospitality industry, no matter what size) showed that it can be quite profitable, DEPENDING of location.

For example, in the Florida Keys close by Key West will do excellent. The further north you go or the Pacific Northwest, will be less profitable since you’ll get no business during the winter.

All depends, but, there’s a number of reasons I chose raising fish, up in the Pac NW, and the B&B up there, as well. Works better for me. Beside that, there’s all the eco tourism and whale-watchers, as well.

Another attempt at rendering, with MS Paint…

Latest construction concept would be to build the bottom ring, then build the upper ring, place the top ring on, add structural 'spuds/jack-up legs, then push/tow/pilot out to position, anchor, and operate the legs the same as a spud/jack-up rig.

By making the dock area compatible with a large push-boat/power-barge, could carry out all the rest of the pieces necessary to finish the pen and add the top-side structures.

Yet another way to do it…

On some Arctic semi-submersible designs, the vessel has jack-up spuds that drop down through the pontoons ad increase stability, as they lower them into contact…

If the spuds were large enough to provide enough controlled, semi submersible flotation/ballasting, then they could be used as spar-buoys under one platform.

If I had, say, 75 meter jack-up spuds that were also controlled flotation/ballast chambers, I would gain the ability to use depth for stability, and blow ballast to get some elevation, to clear rough seas.

Keeping with the ~2 acre fish-pen/habitat concepts, I could use weighted cables, through eyes at the bottom of the spuds, to allow the legs to jack-up, leaving the pen in place. For the pentagonal layout, 5 spuds, plus a telescoping central flotation/ballast chamber should simplify construction considerably.

Significant audio description section of video begins at ~0:40 seconds into the video…

The problem with spuds is that they’ll work only close to shore in very shallow waters. If that’s the case, and if in US, you’ll have to lease that column of water from whatever State you’re in if you want to operate a fish farm-B&B.

There won’t be to much “freedom” in doing so. Anybody from state, country, city, etc. can board and inspect your business…At least if you are 12 nm offshore you’re only dealing with the feds. But 12 nm offshore is deep water, you’ll have to be free floating, no spuds there.

It’s a catch 22.

Not to use the spuds as legs, but as semi-sub flotation champers/spar-buoy chambers.

Try this…

Instead of a spud that reaches the bottom, as legs to stand on, each one has buoyancy control, just like RP-FLIP, but they still jack up and down. Make them 75 meters, to give a 50 meter depth, to the cage they frame, and give the stability of 50 meter deep spar-buoy, putting the bow wave-energy converters in the water, but leaving 25 meters to be able to hoist up, above storm waves. Maybe you only get 15 meters clearance, but that’s 45 ft wave height, cap the net, and sink the pen another 10 meters, to minimize damages.