Power Generation

Well, let’s see… Cars powered by Thorium reactors would have to be about half as big big as a regular nuclear powered submarine, plus the roadways to deal with them, and the nuclear mess to clean up after every accident. Nuclear powered energy independent house…needs about half of a nuclear submarine, just for the power supply.

If they were even as capable as a nuclear submarine powerplant, there would be off-grid factories using them, at the very least.

Sorry, they can be safer than the crap we already use, but they are still too large to do what was claimed, in wiping out fossil fuels.

Even Tesla’s new solar roofing has to have proper solar orientation, to be effective. There are limits to the physical processes of both, that make them incapable of being just an ordinary, everyday, every household solution.

People talk about how ‘overcrowded’ the planet is, yet is would be possible to put every household on a small self-sufficient homestead, in an area about the size of Texas, and restore the rest of the planet to native habitat. Even better, move all housing to areas that make for poor agriculture, convert a sufficient area to sustainable agriculture practices, and restore that vast majority of the planet to natural habitat.

HOWEVER, people are just too ornery to make such an effective solution work.

I see you have wwatched a thunderfoot video, good channel. But i am talking about large seastead holding large amount of people.

No earthly idea what thunderfoot is. Studied up on nuclear vessels back in HS, when the Navy offered me a commissioned officer position on nuclear sub’s, and have followed up on Thoriium reactors, when some of the hype started making the rounds.

Can’t beat the physics. Radiation shielding has to do exactly that, and has minimums, but safety-first is always the responsible position.

I thought I posted on this thread, but I don’t see it.

So while discussing Power Generation, I’d like everyone to consider what power is needed. People seem to think we need megawatt power, and I just don’t think this is the case.

1. Lighting - LED’s make lighting low power now. Chock one up for technology.

2. Motive force - A seasted does not move. The only motion would be to steady the city, or in the case of dynamic positioning to keep it in a stable location.

3. Heating - Non Hurricane locations are within 50 miles of the equator, or north of the 45th Parallel. While my own favored location is off Point Roberts, Washington - International territory just a couple hours from two different international airports, and a year round stable temperature of 55 degrees. No one else seems excited about floating on an ocean you can’t swim in. The only other non-hurricane locations are within 50 miles of the equator. No need for heating.

4. Cooling HVAC - Keeping softie Americans cooler than 80 degrees. Tell them to stiffen up.

5. Food Production - Using Electric for food is very wastful. It is better to use propane or other BTU intensive fuel. A shared commercial kitchen could probably feed 1000 people for less than $20 a day in propane. Why spend millions on nuclear when a small tank will do it for 1/10,000th the cost.

6. Hot water - Bathing, Laundry - This is a problem waiting to be solved. Again, producing electricity and then using it to heat water is not very efficient. Laundry can be done in cold water. Maybe cold water (for those people needing AC) is the solution.

7. Desalinization and freshwater pumping for farming

8. Gyro-stabilization - In my city model I propose housing units that are 60x60 feet. These would need active stabilizers to reduce wave motion. This takes power, usually electric.

So looking at the list, if everyone is in “camping” mode, taking cold showers, and not using AC, then power generation is miniscule. This is why sailboats have minimal power needs.

On the other hand, if a Seastead is charging people $1-million each for an itty-bitty apartment, then they are probably going to ask for Cruise Ship style ameneties like full A/C with the balcony door wide open, 30 minute hot showers, and freshly laundered sheets 7 days a week.

(Larry G) #45

Not just Americans. Around the world, the tropics experience a lack of industrial motivation. Heavy labor simply isn’t feasible without serious accommodation. The advent of affordable temperature control has done more to improve wealth in the tropics than probably anything else other than water sanitation.

However, please feel welcome to live at your own comfort level… People will find their own preferred solutions, set their own thermostats, suffer with unclean clothes and so on, if they feel comfortable doing so.

Reduce-Reuse-Recycle… (good mantra)

Why does cooling HAVE to be high-energy? My plan is to embed PEX in the decks and cabin roof, and pump water, to moderate the solar heat gain. This in turn reduces the need for large electrical usage for cooling. Run the solar-heated water to heat a biogas digester and increase biogas production.

In Winter, that same PEX plumbing can draw water to keep decks above freezing, should the need arise.

Use a heat-pump to cool the air AND heat the water for bathing and washing clothes/dishes, etc. How hard is that? Save the condensation from dehumidifying the cabin air, while cooling it, and heating the bath/laundry/dish water, to supplement the water supply… Use another to refrigerate food?

Not all food-plants are salt tolerant, but plenty are. However, simple filtering of used bath water can produce abundant toilet water. Toilet wastes, combined with food wastes can provide biogas, and fertilized water for hydroponics and aquaponics.

Use biogas however… Cooking gas, or with Servel type gas-fired refrigeration, maybe both.

Gyro-stabilization is going to prove energy intensive, as is powered station-keeping. There are passive ways to control heave/pitch’roll motion, as well as the ability to anchor/moor, to reduce that energy consumption.

Don’t look at systems individually, but as if the whole was an organism. What waste comes from where, and where can it be used more effectively…?

(Matias Volco) #47

Close correlation between standard of living and amount of energy spent.