Picture the Ramform | get invested | get started | oceanic business alliance

It also helps direct the flow, more efficiently, while in a current, but when the ‘island’ needs to move, be it for a storm, for repairs, or just moved because it got sold, it’s still going to need to be efficient.

In general, the Ramform is considered to be super eficient. The Charlie Baker Yacht, based on the Banff is expected to be 20 meters wide, but as fuel efficient as an 8 meter wide yacht. Call it a 60% savings on the fuel bill…?

(Matias Volco) #162

Yes it surely does look like a yacht

…, but you can fill a hull any way you want. Suppose, instead of that swoopy stuff, it had a small house, on the main deck, with a wedge-shaped section of greenhouse dome and hydroponics over that, in a sort of fan, from the bow to the stern…

Still want that high bow and gunwales, simply to handle rougher water, say during storms…

(Matias Volco) #164

not sure I understand, but yes a bulb to redirect water flow would not affect the rest of the design.
for now we’ve been using an inverted or Ulstein bow

Gut the hull and build what I want…

(Matias Volco) #166

Yes, for a smaller streamlined version that would not grow but would move faster, a “yacht island” then a bow might be a possibility.

For a ramform cluster city, a vertical wall would be ideal.

Sorry, pretty as those are, they are not Ramform, but rather, crescent and wedge shaped.

Ramform was designed and developed by Naval Architect Roar Ramde, of Norway. His name, is where the term comes from… Ramde became Ramform, to distinguish it as his design.

Anyway, here’s a closer picture, using a Ramform hull, superimposed on a dome that covers a small home…

(Matias Volco) #168

That’s a very nice fast Yacht down to the open beach area, in fact it resembles some of my drawings. It’s only tangential to seasteading but I’m also extremely interested in that area: as you can appreciate in matiasvolco.com (floating islands) half the site is dedicated to yachts.
If you sign up there I can invite you to the draftboard where I like to make ramform yachts. You can tell me why it wouldn’t work with an Ulstein bow.

Perhaps the title of this thread should be “Picture the Ramform Island”. Such a thing would only need to drift at 3 knots max and correct course to cross the Atlantic faster than Columbus’ Caravels

Not intended as a yacht. Intended as a permanently anchored, or near-permanently anchored seastead residence, using the term homestead as the source for seastead. Replace the white cover with glazing, turn the upstairs into a hydroponics area, live on it year-round. Make it as self-sufficient as possible. You sound like Ellmer, talking down at it. What does it hurt you to call it a seastead concept, rather than calling it a goddamned yacht? I’ve only been trying to correct the misappropriation of the term Ramform, while also trying to apply the Ramform hull design, for stability and space.

A yacht /ˈjɒt/ is a recreational boat or ship. The term originates from the Dutch word jacht “hunt”. It was originally defined as a light fast sailing vessel used by the Dutch navy to pursue pirates and other transgressors around and into the shallow waters of the Low Countries. After its selection by Charles II of England as the vessel to carry him to England from the Netherlands for his restoration in 1660, it came to be used to mean a vessel used to convey important persons.
Modern use of the term designates two different classes of watercraft, sailing and power boats. Yachts differ from working ships mainly by their leisure purpose, and it was not until the rise of the steamboat and other types of powerboat that sailing vessels in general came to be perceived as luxury, or recreational vessels. Later the term came to encompass motor boats for primarily private pleasure purposes as well.[citation needed]
Yacht lengths generally range from 10 metres (33 ft) up to dozens of meters (hundreds of feet). A luxury craft smaller than 12 metres (39 ft) is more commonly called a cabin cruiser or simply a cruiser. A superyacht generally refers to any yacht (sail or power) above 24 m (79 ft) and a megayacht generally refers to any yacht over 50 metres (164 ft). This size is small in relation to typical cruise liners and oil tankers.

(Matias Volco) #171

I was not talking it down, I actually like the picture of what I see as a boat - as I said down to the open aft. It’s a great pic.
What material would it be?
Would it have a motor to be propelled, or would it be towed? if not why the bulb in the prow?

I couldn’t care less about the taxonomy of your prototype. Most yachts are used year around (albeit with different guests) that’s why I think they already constitute an actual, expanding ephemerisland because, class prejudices aside, if a Martian would look at the Earth it would find that people living at sea with the same residential and office and business comforts as a big urban center already exist. If I were Ellmer I’d point to the Subdue to Nobody model, but I’m making the Martians point.

What material would the seastead with a superyacht hull you pictured be? How would it cost so much less than any other work boat?

I’m attempting to work out a formula for a low-cost geopolymer. Right now I’m fighting chronic fatigue and trying to get some small-scale grinding equipment to mill the granular clay and some of the chemicals, but, they are available in powdered form, when you buy in bulk. Consider the cost of concrete is cheap, but the additives are expensive, vs stuff like caustic lye, diatomaceous earth, and Fuller’s earth, which are fairly universally available and are so ‘Basic’ in pH that they all-but preclude any corrosion of steel rebar and mesh.

If I can hit the right formula, the technique is still that of building in ferrocement. The alternative, IMHO, is ferrocement, which is typically quoted as cost-effective at hull sizes greater than 25-35 feet.

The advantage of streamlining for better stability and being able to maintain a direction, based on currents, will assist in greenhouse orientation, yet the ability to weather-vane under changing sea-states and wind conditions will aid safety.

Personally, I expect to have thrusters for minor maneuvering, but be towed to a permanent mooring. In the event of a need to move, towing will be more cost effective, than maintaining a marine drive-system, while remaining stationary for great lengths of time.

As a ship-like structure, it will meet one set of inspection standards, but as a non-powered, permanently moored structure, it will have fewer licensing requirements, and as a non-shore-connected, self sufficient structure, it avoids a number of marine licensing and habitat pollution problems.

The combination of descriptive issues should create a need for a definition as a seastead, which would further aid the general cause of seasteads and seasteading.

It requires exactly the same sort of convoluted reasoning that has given rise to many new terms.

Another benefit of the bulbous bow is the way is can also act as a forward attachment point for something like the ‘wave-dragon’, wave-powered electricity generator.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #173

This is kind of a “core question” everybody who is ok with real estate prices of USD 37000 per squaremeter can have a WallyHermes and will be ok. We all know yachts, we all know the cost of yachts, we all know the factors that drive yacht costs - we all know what society segment can afford living on a house sized yacht. There is not much to discuss about it.

What is interesting to talk is how to bring real estate cost down to a level comparable or even below land based house bilding … it is about solving the ocean colonization bottleneck in cost and lifespan. So ocean colonization can go beyond the billionairs segment, beyond yachts, beyond ship technology, beyond oilrigs, beyond tanka floats … to get there we need to do something DIFFERENT what is this ? - the rest is pointless experiment.

I could care less what their design gets sold for. My goal is something seaworthy, even in a storm, that I can build myself. People all over the world have, can, and do build in ferrocement, and even use it for sea-going vessels. The offshore platform industry has used ferrocement since the 1950s, at least.

What’s important isn’t even necessarily the cost. What’s important is livability, durability, and survivability. Ferrocement and possible alternatives are just materials, where design is the critical factor.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #175

my recommendation (as a friend) would be to start with a design from a experienced marine designer like Matias Volco who understands things like “what is a bulb nose for, when you need it and when not” and you will be fine. As i get from your posts you seem to have strong opinions on “doing your own design” looks like a “risky venture” for me given the knowledge level your posts reflect - to me - but that is just an opinion - go ahead and do whatever you find useful…as original poster of the Picture the ramform thread i would propose to reseve this space to the informed posting of people who understand and embrace the ramform principles…and have “informed contributions to picture the ramform”

That is what i have been working towards, so there is so little material that must be bought for a floatie that dry surface area becomes cheap. But i think no one on this forum thinks of that, when they make such fancy and heavy boats or barges.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #177
  • is the core of combining bow and wide protective stern with a turret mooring…as the “informed designs” - contributed by Matias Volco suggest - “different opinions” are rather “no knowledge outings” in my universe - but that is - maybe - just my opinion…the “no knowledge outers may well disagree upon” - what does not bother me either…but i am not willing to discuss further…

Damn, but I’m tired of all the bickering.

Picture the Ramform… I did. I can build something based on it, but I’d rather model it first.

Well, that means you cannot post here any more, since you do not understand that Ramde shaped the underwater portion of his hull design to a specific dimension and set of curves. His ramform is not any floating triangle shape.

This deserves to be a permanent post, and not get lost. Since i can “like” it only once, i am reposting it in it’s entirety.

EDIT: JL, you deleted that post, whatwhy?! I considering it a clarifyng moment, not bickering.