Picture the Ramform | get invested | get started | oceanic business alliance

What you really ought to say is that YOU want to live in a boxy, traditional type of house, rather than putting out an opinion that is supposedly representing what everyone wants.

I’ve considered more types of houses than most, since part of my goal is to have something that suits my needs, regardless of what others want, or even what others want me to have. If they’re going to foot the bill, then I’m generally stuck with what they choose, unless I just say ‘no’. I’ve lived in the closet of an abandoned house, a 16 ft travel-trailer in the woods without utilities, a luxury house, apartments, and even wood-floored tents. What I want is not what you want, so don’t pretend to speak for anyone other than yourself, without specific endorsements and the list of names to go with it.

(.) #122

Planet Earth is a big bubble.

(Matias Volco) #123

Thank you @JL_Frusha, and very well put @spark, you may instinctively know your way the inside an Ocean Sphere!

However ‘you guys’ this is not the thread to discuss bubbles vs boxes, or to assess the beauty of a dome house

It is a thread to discuss the merits of a breakwater cluster which we call the ramform island(s) and which can shelter inside both bubbles, boxes, and even rounded boxes too!

@jwliberstead Thank you for your uncompromising and illustrated opinions.
Composing the legs of the or ‘a’ ramform a cluster of little boxes could be developed just as easily as traditional terraced apartments as well as less traditional designs:
Notice in this design I incorporated arbitrary curves in both the floor plan and the profile exclusively to tick you off (and to indicate some further shelter during extraordinary events) . Otherwise it would look like terraced rectangles, not necessarily different from a land-base apartment building overlooking a canal.

See more updated pictures of the ramform used as traditional real estate : http://floatingislands.discoursehosting.net/t/ramform-archipelago-of-floating-islands/28/6

Back to the ramform…

Why hasn’t anyone posted the Patent, for a better understanding of the hull…?

Of note to would-be designers, opening the rear and letting all that water in is going to suck up and create a LOT of unnecessary drag… There’s a reason the design comes close to totally clearing the water, and that drag is expensive, but, the oil companies need to hang those sensor arrays off the back.

I’d like to see a hurricane sim. of one, just for $h*t$-n-giggles…

Motion characteristics. A ship in a seaway pitches about a point approximately amidships. This means the amplitude of pitch is greatest at the bow and stern. The motion of the stern generates high accelerations which are transmitted to the trailing gear.
Jerking motions in high seas require that trailing gear be retrieved when wave amplitude increases to 3 m or so. Deployment and retrieval for full-length streamer cables and source arrays for a six streamer vessel can take up to 24 hr.
This time increases as the number of streamers increases. In areas such as the North Sea which suffer unstable weather patterns, fast deployment and retrieval are important to be able to make use of short windows between spells of inclement weather.
This is the area where the Ramform design most spectacularly outperforms traditional vessels. Test figures have been based on weather data from the Statfjord area of the Norwegian North Sea collected over the last 10 years.
As a measure of stability, the analysis suggested that for this period Ramform would have been stable enough to allow helicopter operations for 94% of the total time.
Extreme stability is particularly significant for seismic operations in three ways. Firstly, the test results show that even in bad weather accelerations at the stern of the ship are modest.
This implies that even during very poor weather, trailing equipment can be left in the water with little risk of damage. That in turn means that equipment need not be continually retrieved and deployed during spells of changeable weather, resulting in significant efficiency gains.
Secondly, the results show that for Ramform Explorer the freeboard of the transom can be low, improving accessibility to the sea for the handling of equipment. Freeboard at the transom on the Ramform Explorer is just 0.8 m.
Thirdly, vertical acceleration readings show that the vessel is an effective work platform for the crew. It is vertical acceleration which first affects human working capacity as weather deteriorates. The limit for manual work is usually set at 0.4 times the force of gravity (0.4 g), and the limits for effective intellectual work at 0.2 g. In tests, recorded values were all well under these limits.

Rear of a Titan-Class Ramform, color-reversed from the brochure, to make it easier to see the transitions. Red circles are tender bays, for boats to tend the cables. Yellow ovals show the pontoon-like sections at the sides. Blue line is the waterline. The entire rear blends and comes up at the waterline, to reduce drag, sort of like an aerodynamic rear roll-pan, for a sports car…

(Wilfried Ellmer) #127

Because it is irrelevant the ramform was already around when airplanes had double wings…always go to the source.

early dingy manufactureres also used the ramform - to “patent” it is laughable at best… it is like patent the use of the wheel…

if you do it you are outing yourself as a “no idea whatsoever” - guy in marine engineering… people use bow and maximize beam features to improve the movement characteristics of floating platforms since the invention of the coracle - the fact that “self decared designers” are doing “never heared of design” and want patent it - is “embarrassing for the forum” at best…" - we really should rethink the idea of “seasteading as design contest”…

Breakwater Design
Breakwater Design
"Ellmer Sphere" Ocean Sphere | oceanic business alliance

Those aren’t ramforms. Ramform is a patented design by Roar Ramde, of Norway. Neither of those have the bulbous nose/bow/forefoot, which was developed and first used on the USS Delaware, in 1910. The Ramform makes use of it, as well as the pontoon-like structures to either side of the vessel, and has no trailing split, astern, since it increases drag exponentially.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #129

that is - well - a bit outing as no idea of the realities…in the light of the facts explained above…sounds like somebody pretending doing design who is not ready to do design…to me…but that is just a opinion…what exacty is the talk you are intending about?

I wish I had access to the drugs you’re on.

The Norwegian Research Vessel “Marjata” was the first Ramform

(Wilfried Ellmer) #131

not sure if a talk about “patenting the triangle” is something i have time for … ellmer out. :yum:
/ Lens shell pictures overview / / Ramform floating home pictures / / c-shell floating home pictures / / Floating concrete building methods / / shell cluster pictures / / investor proposal list /

“Ramform design
The Ramform design is characterized by its extremely wide maximum beam of 40 m in relation to its overall length of just 80 m. The maximum beam is at the transom, giving the vessel an unusual delta shape.
At first glance it seems the vessel would be equally at home in a Star Trek movie as in the North Sea. Only one vessel of this design has been built previously, the Marjata surveillance vessel operated by the Norwegian navy and launched in 1993.
A project was started in the same year to review the capability of the design to be adapted for seismic surveying. The design had potential to solve the limitations of traditional hull design and held the promise of yet further advantages for this type of use.”

Excessive roll motions
Adapting the Ramform design to production and onboard storage necessitated seastate response tests on a model at the Marintek tank in Trondheim. “Our designers decided to stick with the Ramform hull shape and fettle that we had used half a dozen times before,” Atack says. "Originally the designers considered fitting bilge keels, but the early model tests indicated they wouldn’t be needed for the stability of the vessel.
However in practice, Atack says, "it took us a long while to determine that the roll motion of the Ramform was too much in heavy seas. The media were very keen on reports that it was making our crew seasick, but that was really not the problem. Once the vessel moved beyond a certain range - 7.5 degrees of roll - operations had to be closed down. In fact, there were not many days when 7.5 degrees roll was exceeded.

Bilge keels being fitted to Ramform Banff.
Click here to enlarge image
"However, we determined that the behavior of the vessel still didn’t fit our expectations. This was unacceptable, in considering the effects of severe weather on the structural integrity of the vessel’s equipment. This called into question the original model testing, so we conducted more model tests, which proved that the roll motion wasn’t good enough.
"We performed three series of model tank tests and found that through the simple addition of bilge keels, we could suppress roll by 40% - a huge degree of damping. This would apply not only to extreme weather, which occurs less than 1% of the time in our location, but would also calm the vessel in a regular seastate.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #134

growth of a triangular shaped city development

render artist Matias Volco

Combination of ramform shape principle, lens shape principle, and tubular home shapes…the important feature is that you have a bow that can split a draupner wave and outer structures that create a “lagoon feature” for the items that can not deal with waves on their own.

the material such a floating city is built from - light concrete honeycomb structure - as demonstrated here in a pilot project.

(.) #135

I have seen that photograph somewhere before.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #136

congratulations - good for you that means you have some background knowledge…

(.) #137

There is no use going into an argument unless you are going to build.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #138

need a update built the key items to make the key points already…google up:

more about building here - also check Floating Island Design from Matias Volco

We know he isn’t going to build, he’s just spamming the forum and advertising his own sites again.

Yes, we know the key points: give you $billions for something you have never done before, because triangles are the only way to make something float!