Picture the Ramform | get invested | get started | oceanic business alliance

(Wilfried Ellmer) #81

@KatOnTri - The engineering conclusions that should be drawn from the said above are obvious to people that get the basic idea - if they are not to you - the need to read - is manifest - so go ahead and read more in the links supplied - in any case “discussion is over” in the sense of scientific debate…there is not really an “open discussion” on stern features, ramforms, and their necessary layout in the marine engineering community. I am not really in to discuss marine engineering with the doodler segment because i apreciate time and efficiency…end of process. Engineers understand and apreciate the ramform toodlers go and do the homework. End of topic. The thread is for picturing the ramform - so if you have nothing to contribute to the topic just shut up and leave posting to people who have @Matias any new pictures? -

Industrial Ramform (survey ramform ship) unprotected stern almost waterlevel very little freeboard is even possible on an oceanic specialty ship…the engineers obviouly dismissed “kats hypothesis” - so do i.

Ramform family house settlement picture it…

Picture ramform tropical lagoon sundowner…

That ship is the Ramform Sovereign, it has about 8ft of freeboard in the stern, and does not have the wide funnel shape you keep showing for a seastead. The Ramform Sovereign also does not have plate glass walls and doors, as your fancy cgi pics do. Again, https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-JEUzNcVTA-0%2FUu-Va9QrrHI%2FAAAAAAABTOs%2FXIFxpD6U538%2Fs1600%2Ffoto-2-2-2014%2B084%2B(de%2BRamform%2BSovereign%2Bheeft%2Bals%2BBestemming%2Bde%2BNoordzee).jpg&f=1 has little to do with http://discuss.seasteading.org/uploads/default/original/1X/a44ae1e4ff060424db69715c140f5c74cb6f8455.jpg

(Wilfried Ellmer) #83

Stern detail Ramform Sovereign.

Housing ramform apartment block sized

Ramform light honeycomb shell structure

Ramform light honeycomb shell structure family house sized

more ramform pictures

marinea lens shell pictures

While the lens shell is a design to take a wave overwash comming form any side the ramform is designed to take a wave overwash from one side only.

(Bob LLewellyn) #84

[quote=“ellmer, post:83, topic:640”]
Ramform light honeycomb shell structure family house sized[/quote]

Family? Maybe royalty family. That’s 3500 sq feet, that’s family castle size.

I thought that it was taken as understood that areas like behind the glass would be like the aft deck on a boat. Though it is covered and behind glass, it is just an open area that would be evacuated for any weather related concerns.

A wave hitting from behind would cause more damage than one from the bow, but not critical. It would push the Ramform and break the glass, even could fill the lounging areas but would go right back out and not get in the sealed areas. Every living quarters would have to have a safe area. The easiest way would to make each living quarters a sealed safety area. When the hatches are closed, the area is air tight.

However, we might want to begin discussing economical air scrubbers.

(.) #85

I am also glad that you are making progress.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #86

… a ship stern not made for wave impact…the stern is the correct place for a wide open space…

It is the “core idea of the ramform” to take the principle and enable a wide open housing concept that is appealing to people who would NOT be ok with “living on a boat” …

It feels and looks much more like “living in a oceanfront house” than “living in a boat”. As you cut down on the “boat lifstyle” and yacht costs, you also need to cut back on some of the abilities of a boat - among those the ability to run a course with big waves from behind… when a oceanic ship is only now and then obligated to abandon its course and point its hardest part - the bow - against the waves to avoid damage by waves, a ramform needs to do that early - but once it has done that - its ability to take big waves over the bow is comparable to a ship - it can take as good as anything the ocean brings up.

The idea that a ramform “needs to be designed to take waves from behind” is a concept error born from a lack of understanding of the base conditions of the marine ambient where waves do not come from “surprising directions” and turret mooring allow to point the bow against the waves ALLWAYS and automaticly.

The key here is that once the ramform is on the water things become obvious and self explaining to everybody even to the slowest fox in the forrest with the less engineering education possible - in other words - you can stop explaining - and step up to phase 1 talk once the public understands the intrinsic need for floating realestate and how ocean colonization will drive development in the next 30 years investors will start to flock to this kind of project…

The ramform is not a “weired boat” it is “floating housing in real estate quality” this is a potential far beyond the yacht market…

Why, in the pictures you provide, is the Oasis of the Seas is open 60ft above the waterline, but your ramfaces have only 2ft of freeboard?

(Bob LLewellyn) #88

[quote=“ellmer, post:86, topic:640”]
… a ship stern not made for wave impact…[/quote]

Of course its not but if a meteor hits in the ocean somewhere aft of the ramform and makes a wave that does hit in the stern area, it won’t sink the ramform anyway, because much of the energy will be lost by moving the ramform forward. That is a lot of inertia to overcome. And the residents will be in their sealed safe zone so it would be like a tornado in Kansas, you might lose everything but you can survive it and pick up the pieces. Unfortunately, the people on the shore won’t be so lucky.

You have to understand that most of the designs presented here by whoever does so are CONCEPTUAL IN NATURE, therefore a work in progress from the DRAWING BOARD to an ACTUAL FLOATING SEASTEAD,…

This design

Is the precursor of this design

Which is the precursor of this design

It is the same with this design

Which is the precursor of this

And of this

Or this

Or this

In designing the “perfect” seastead nothing will be written in stone since different seasteading locations and businesses will call for different designs.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #90

Ramform home in concrete honeycomb light building method - one of the key technologies for solving the bottleneck of ocean colonization - most people do not want to live in a boat - they perfer a stable floating home - 50m beam creates this kind of necessary stability for a single family home…

(.) #91

I like it. I do not t hink I can build one of this, but if you can, more power to you.

Meanwhile, I am thinking about simple things I can build.

So, as a concept, with multiple examples around the world as working, living environments, many in existance for well over a decade, FLIP itself since the '60s, can you explain precisely why you insist on attacking the FLIP/Spar-buoy platform as a viable, long-term structure, or geopolymers and alternatives to steel rebar?

(Bob LLewellyn) #93

[quote=“spark, post:91, topic:640”]
I like it. I do not t hink I can build one of this, but if you can, more power to you.[/quote]

Oh, we can build it and you’re right, it looks good, the design theory is good for stability. But for a seastead to take off, it has to become a community. As I see it, the only real problem with the ramform is that you can’t connect them in any way that makes sense. Building a ship is not building a seastead, its not expandable. However, because of the practicality of the ramform in deep oceans, we are looking at different models that may allow for connectivity and expansion in the deep sea design.

One such example would be to have a keel running all the way back so that it splits the marina into two as it would come up out of the water by the same amount as the side wings. This would give more docking or work space but we could design a way to connect a second ramforms bow to the stern of the keel of the first. Like in trucks, I call this arrangement a caravan even though it isn’t moving anywhere. Steps would then be build right into the bow to allow passage from one ramform to the next.

Wil (Ellmer) and I have not been able to discuss this in any detail as we have other things that needs to be done right away that eats up all of our time, but we’ll get there.

Close to what I proposed in the old forums… Just used a simulator to show the concept. Need to rotate them so the center points of one are between the points of the other. Some sort of bearing needs to allow rotation in the middle, as well.

(.) #95

Keel and caravan seems reasonable.

I agree with the need for a community.

Good luck with the building. Keep me posted of the progress, please.

(.) #96

Well, what is it? I do not get it.
May be a bit more explanation for slow people like me.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #97

does this have any relevance to the thread topic “Picture the RAMFORM”…

/ Lens shell pictures overview / / Ramform floating home pictures / / c-shell floating home pictures / / Floating concrete building methods / / shell cluster pictures / / investor proposal list /

(.) #98

Ellmer! You need explanation too? I am not alone!

The pic is of a multi-axis motion simulator, rotated and flipped against itself. Use coil-over shock-absorbers with a rotational bearing in the central area. Now you have a high-strength connector, similar to that used at the space-station, adapted for the constant motion of the sea. Something far more durable than dock-rubbers and cheap bumpers, or tires.

(Bob LLewellyn) #100

[quote=“JL_Frusha, post:99, topic:640”]
Something far more durable than dock-rubbers and cheap bumpers, or tires.[/quote]

And it can be a pinion type bracket that would hold the two objects together, not just apart. Pretty hoopy thinking there Earth man.