with the Norwegian Navy surveillance ship Marjata in the early
1990s. The PGS engineers drew the conclusion that Marjata’s
wide stern made her perfect for seismic acquisition where it
is desired to have as little noise as possible from the vessel
itself during data acquisition.
Roar Ramde, the naval architect who owned the design,
was contacted and PGS was given exclusive rights to use the
Ramform design for seismic acquisition.

However, there are literally thousands of Champions shoes, and only a very few examples of a Ramform hull. Those generic sneakers at least resemble the Champions, in being actual footwear, where the bizarre artwork misrepresented as Ramform does not have the same basic design. Especially when he posited that an inflatable boat is a Ramform, when it’s a design that has been around FAR longer than the Ramform…

(Chris) #300

(Matias Volco) #305

Picking up on picturing the Ramform,
let’s call this a floating cluster shells including a neighborhood with distinctive bow feature and lagoon or moonpool feature.

Or a deep water Aquaculture base,
floating berth and sea-house for zero impact virgin island enjoyment and conservation
how would YOU use such a base in the high seas?

Ramform idea actually based on the Ramform Hull patent… Some parts won’t be accurate until actual construction, and this is just my latest iteration, but 3-br/3-bath.

Sure, if it was a yacht, it would be a high dollar toy. However, the hull is usually less than 15% of the original purchase price… Gotta keep things in perspective. A $1M yacht has a hull that may have cost $150K…(Purchased as a custom-built item). Now, figure 30% of that for a true DIY and it might drop to $50K for the hull…, plus the time and effort to build…

(Lance) #313

Murphys Law is the law of the ocean. If a design is directional, there will be a way it will get turned around… in a storm… and people will die or get badly hurt. I’ve seen currents perpendicular to the wind. We are still talking about 200 miles off-shore right? Don’t try to reinvent the wheel when you aren’t even using said wheel. Build off the off-shore oil platform…platform. Everything needs to be able to be submerged for minutes at a time. Rogue waves and hurricanes are real. If you don’t account for them, you have blood on your hands, maybe not in 5 or even 10 years, but it will happen. The best insurance against them isn’t a group of humans ability to react, it’s in the structure they inhabit.

For connectivity between units, use a fractal design/layout to promote scaling in both directions. As for the issue in the small direction, the nail that sticks out gets hammered, so have a linking system and a shape that resembles the way barnacles attach to objects, ie to envelope. Then think 3d, smaller individuals latched on/in by the water line to the larger (hex shaped?) unit. These units will need some inherent design to deal with being really submerged. Again, one must design for water flowing everywhere, if you don’t, people die. Hence why all seafaring boats are designed like this. Have you talked to any colleges to incentivize design testing in small scale? Having started designing and making things myself in the past 2 years I learned thst thinking to much is a problem; you can think around in circles for years. The only way forward is to try, try, and keep trying.

I wish to get involved, as I see seasteading is at least a potential lifeline to the crumbling societies all around us, if not the best chance at having a governance revolution and therefore real prosperity for the human race.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #314

you need to understand that ANY currently applied ship design is “directional” if a ship gets “broadsided” in a storm it is gone - ramforms are MUCH safer in this aspect as they turn into the wind automaticly without depending on rudder and crew taking action.
The engineering principle is take the safest standard currently applied (classed ship design) and improve on it. Only things the size of monaco breakwater, mullberry, and oostershelde can take waves broadside …

(Wilfried Ellmer) #316

As movement we really need to be careful to get the right effect in the phase1 talk What Matias Volco (@Matias) displays at floatingislands is pretty much what gets you effect B instead of effect A from serious marine designers and investors (There is no such thing as a “ongoing discussion” or a “open design question” about it) …

(Wilfried Ellmer) #318

It means that the design criteria where already cristal clear at the beginning of this century when the above picture was painted (bow and broad stern)

developments that make it “beyond ship size” ( bigger than 400m ) can start to abandon a strict bow against the wave approach… symbolized by the blue honeycomb dome row designed to get “slightly broadsided in an angle” (still not fully)…

Since the TOPIC is "Picture the Ramform, I have used the original patent descriptions for the Ramform, and other proposed yacht versions to attempt to make a smaller, more cost effective hull.

My goal is to be permanently anchored, offshore, but within State and Federal waters, in the GoMx.

Best render of the deck plan/horizontal hull-slices…

Jeff Frusha

(Wilfried Ellmer) #322

Picture the Ramform | a contribution to the thread under the correct title | a pictue of a ramform floating island in a never seen before picture…the bow is some 20m heigh so can handle a draupner without major damage to the “soft items” walkways, pod homes, and boats in the ramform moonpool lagoon…

(Matias Volco) #329

@ellmer yes in fact I have some new designs

More details on Floating Islands

(Wilfried Ellmer) #330

Whow - that is so cool ! - thanks for the link to floatingislands i also found there this picture, of the wave impact side of a small ramform, i have never seen before - that is a structure that CAN deal with tail events type Draupner in a stormnight at sea… see you have been working on new stuff - keep the good things comming :eyeglasses:

This is definitly a bow that exceeds the specification of the Bremen and Caledonean Star that both encountered Draupner waves, on their polar region trips, took them over the bow, and lived (with damage) to tell us about it - in difference to the 200 “other ships” lost at sea without sending distress calls… that are now considered “possible Draupner victims” by the marine engineering community.

Uses for a shipstead in the San Francisco Bay Area
(Matias Volco) #331

Much appreciated @Ellmer
For these smaller ramform islands I´m trying to highlight the extra integrity and protection even in the aft facing apertures.

The second model features a bow that continues into a bump roof.

Living quarters in its core, behind the massive bow and the treliced honeycomb bulwark and shaded outdoor space.
Going for a transatlantic sailable capsule-lifeboat that can also be enjoyed during sunny days.

Indeed more images at Floating Islands

(Wilfried Ellmer) #334

i like the crossaintdome picture it gives a natural understanding how forces distribute over the skin…

(Matias Volco) #335

Yes I meant to upload these two matrixes too showing variations of the feature trying to reach the minimum draupner safe height of bow for such a small - family scale (1-2) winged island.
Obviously when pictured in mass model they could be town-sized too:

(Wilfried Ellmer) #336

putting this model in a finite element program we also get no obvious stress points when hog and sag forces introduced by ocean waves are simulated. So that is definitly a shape that provides a realistic starting point to work with… I especially like the “thinning out in the ends” that takes away surpus buoyancy from where it can create damaging forces in tail events. All has definitly a nice yachty look without having yacht cost to build…

It can perfectly blend into a yacht ambient and anchor site …

(Wilfried Ellmer) #340

@Matias - to start the ramform development in a "floating yacht marina ambient is certainly a great starting point - another possibility is to work the "industrial segment of load / unload and container transshipment infrastructure facilities…

This picture where Matias Volco combines “oceanic transport industry” with a marina sized ramform gives a vision how this can work…the calm water space created by the arms converts to a “container transshipment port installation”

a floating city will need a floating port at some point of its development anyhow…

My concept, based on the patents and one of the conceptual designs by Wally Yachts…

~62ft LOA
~48ft Beam
~48in Draft
Intended to be unpowered, nearly self-sufficient, premanently moored offshore. Hydrodynamics allow for the current to maintain a bow-forward attitude, the overall stability prevents an easy roll-over, the general design allows greenwater to shed rapidly, No hatches facing forward, or on top prevent easy water accumulation during adverse weather conditions. Double-hull ferrocement-like construction, using a proprietary technique I came up with in the last few days (not releasing significant details until much later), using Basalt rebar and preferably Geopolymer cement (formula still not completely finalized). Hull will be superinsulated, using flotation foam. Daily electricity will generally be wind and water-current generated, with some solar panels mounted atop the ‘pilothouse’ and living suite.

Biodegradable wastes will be handled by an advanced Anaerobic Methane Digester, followed by an aerobic phase, prior to use as hydroponic fertilizer, in the greenhouse. Greenhouse also acts as source for distilled water, using a simple 2-stage evaporation/condensation setup. Membrane-type molecular sieve will remove CO2 from the Biogas, and that will be used for atmospheric enrichment, within the greenhouse.

I intend to attempt to use an advanced thermo-acoustic cryogenic condenser to decrease the required storage space for the purified Methane. A nearly identical system may be used for liquified air, to be stored for simple expansion-refrigeration and backup energy supply (modified ‘steam’ engine generator).

Additional stabilization will include a hydrofoil-lke heave damping device, passive/active moving ballast system, using interconnected, partially flooded compartments. Induced airflow may present a potential energy source, using bi-directional turbine generators as the flow-restriction, during passive mode, and blowers will be used to forcebly control the tank levels, in active mode, using a method already in commercial production.

Jeff Frusha

(Wilfried Ellmer) #347

@Matias | the front of the thing looks familiar to you ? | turret mooring | bow design | point bow against the waves | directional design for everything ship sized - 400m | keep the vulnerable stuff in the wave impact safety shadow of a big bow that can take a mayor wave |

The [offshore aquaculture part is over here](http://discuss.seasteading.org/t/offshore-aquaculture-realistic-projects-big-business-seafood-ocean-colonization/1631) as it would be misplaced in "picture the ramform"