Personal Improvements are a worthy project

(Larry G) #1

What are y’all doing to make yourselves personally ready to be seasteaders?

LOL…What are you doing to make yourself personally ready to be a seasteader?

(Chad Elwartowski) #3

I sold everything I own including my house and have been practicing a minimalist lifestyle. I am assuming the first seastead housing will be small.

(.) #4

Fair questions. The first one and the second one too.
In short answer:
I am trying to transition to marine based revenue generating activity.
Long answer later; may be.

(Bob LLewellyn) #5

[quote=“thebastidge, post:1, topic:2574, full:true”]
What are y’all doing to make yourselves personally ready to be seasteaders?[/quote]

Actually nothing, we’re ready. Keepsakes in boxes read for storage, income already from the internet, I can move within a week.
Bob

(Larry G) #6

Continual improvement in SCUBA training and certification level, research on vessel and marine systems design, learning marine maintenance by doing (working on our 35’ mini-yacht and 27’ cabin cruiser, other people’s sailboat anodes, placing flotation blocks under docks and structures)), paying down debt, doing research on regional business opportunities in the Caribbean and elsewhere, researching integrative methods for living in/on an artificial environment.

Quite a bit, actually. Only, personal improvement is an on-going process for me, not specifically in prep for seasteading, or at least not useless if I never make to to a seastead.

Last night I did my annual swim fitness test for the dive rescue team I volunteer with. 500 yd swim w no mask/fins/snorkel, 800 yd swim w mask/fins/snorkel, 15 minutes tread water with hands out of the water for last 2 minutes, 100 yd inert tow of another diver in full gear, and a shallow free dive to retrieve an object. Last Saturday did a dive training exercise in black water for object recovery and stood by as safety observer for full face mask trainees completing certification. I’m evaluating programs for becoming EMT-B certified to add to my sideline activities. Not sure if I want to do that next or go back to grad school to add a Master’s in Cyber Security to my main career this fall.

Evaluating a summer term community college Spanish class to take with the wife- do I want Spanish for First Responders or Spanish I. I already have a bit of conversational Spanish but I lack grammatical construction.

(.) #7

Seems like you were ready with the long answer.

(Larry G) #8

Just starting a conversation from another angle. I see driving a motorboat being as essential to seasteading as driving a car is on land, or more so. Urbanites can sometimes skip car ownership and driving.

Sailing would be like knowing how to drive a manual transmission. Scuba like operating a lawnmower, and swimming… Wel, as important as walking.

Take urban and rural setting as a starting point. The number of automatic, autonomic skills necessary to thrive in these two different environments have distinct differences. More so on the ocean far from the familiar.

The homestead version of seasteading will be frontier living. You must do for yourself in the immediate because help has a built in delay. Even the Atlantis vision of seasteading has the individual inhabitant doing far more for themselves with less help than a modern urban person in the developed world.

I agree.

Life on a seastead (and more likely on a really small one, to start with) will be WAY different than what most of use consider “the norm” in our present daily routine.

The above mentioned maritime related skills will not only come handy, but they will be, plain and simple, a necessity aboard a seastead.

(Thibaut Labarre) #10

To your point about “driving a motorboat being as essential to seasteading as driving a car on land” you might be interested in the Tesla of the motorboat.

For my part, I added algae salad and Poke to my diet :slight_smile:

I also practice rowing 3 times a week.

(Larry G) #11

You can build a village without any artists, philosophers or day traders involved. But not without plumbers, carpenters, and electricians.

For all the talk about seasteading’s appeal to digital workers, it can’t exist without a physical infrastructure and the people who build and support it.

(Larry G) #12

Likewise, anybody who wants to seastead should not only know CPR but be comfortable and confident with it.

The two most effective cases for CPR are drowning and cardiac arrest due to electric shock. Both likely to be prevalent causes of injury on a seastead.

(Larry G) #13

Nothing super evolutionary there. Upscale trolling motor and bigger batteries. I’ve been discussing electric drive boating with some yachties here on the Columbia River. Diesel-electric worked well for submarines for decades.

I’m learning how to brew beer and distill alcohol.

I’m thinking all those plumbers, carpenters, and electricians might want a refreshing drink after a day’s work building Seasteads for y’all. :wink:

(Larry G) #15

I have a batch of cider aging for holiday consumption, the remnants of a 5gallon keg of brown ale we tapped for my brother’s bday, and 5 gallons of wit bier in the keg set aside ready for ur yacht club’s anniversary cruise in July.

I need to make some more of the brown ale. It came out delicious.

(Bob LLewellyn) #16

I rather thought most people would prefer to get around by jet-ski, at least in the beginning. I’m thinking jet-ski races every Sunday.

My wife and I are helping set up an off-grid homestead and in the process of getting our own land to set up an off-grid homestead of our own, with the intent to support offshore living, and build several different concepts.

(.) #18

Hello;

It is too facebookie to write about myself here.
I am glad that others write. I like to read it.
Anyways.

(.) #19

OK, I will try to write something for entertainment.
I learned a few things about marine environment:
NAVTEX = navigational fax can be received 200 miles from shore

AIS = automatic ship identification system. I have a trans-receiver.
It works.

GLONASS = Russian satellite GPS, works with google earth
Chinese made receiver costs $10. I have one, it works. USB into computer.

Chart plotter and dept finder. = good to have, came with US charts only.
Good luck in Mexico. Need to buy more electric charts, or something like that , probably.
When boat rolls back and forth in high seas at night the screen
rolls and spins too. It made me dizzy until electric power was lost.

Marine trans-receivers, one of them is waterproof and it floats, the rest of them are gone.

Torqedo electric outboard engine = useful.

Honda outboard 5 HP = good, it can be stuck in forward and stall,
have to force it to neutral to start. Could be tricky out there. It was.

Samsung tablet with GPS and charts = cannot see in high sunshine,
difficult to use the touch screen out there in high seas.

Sawyer Products MINI Water Filter = good for freshwater.
Filters saltwater too, but that is still bad to drink=practical experience.

3-stage high pressure pump is specially designed to fill PCP airguns
The Benjamin PCP pump has a universal adapter and works with the Benjamin …
There is an adapter for paintball guns to fill tank from scuba tank.
Can be reversed with the 3-stage high pressure pump, and scuba
tank can be filled to 3500psi. The pump will push 4500 psi.
I do not think the scuba tank can take 4500 psi. I only fill to 2000.
As psi is going up it is harder to pump. Good workout. I have one.
I did it. More than twice. Have to pump slow to avoid overheating.
Overheating melts insulation rings of the three stage pump.
No meltdown yet.

(Larry G) #20

There is a class you can take to understand cylinders and pressure limits. It also could provide a small, but easily achieved and maintained revenue stream for visual cylinder inspections.

Most SCUBA tanks and valves in the US are designed for YOKE connections and are rated for lower pressure than DIN connections. Generally, 3500 PSI is pushing the limit for yoke and 3200 is a fairly common “high pressure” tank fill. DIN are usually rated for ~4500 PSI. Some cylinders are “low pressure” even for yoke- ~2000, 2200 psi. Every one has numbers stamped on it, if you do not know how to read these numbers, take the tank to any SCUBA shop or DOT tank testing facility and they can tell you what the max pressure rating is. Initial ratings are good for ten years from the factory, then the tank requires a hydrostatic pressure test, which is good for 5 years before requiring re-test. In my region, annual visual inspections cost about $10-$15 and hydro tests cost $35-$50.

Which 3 stage pump are you using? Do you have a model # or link?