Pastures are vital to 'homesteading' and 'seasteading'

(Russ George) #1

Dear Seasteaders,

10,000 years ago when humanity started to become civilization we began to care for pastures. We learned fast that a well cared for pasture sustained large herds of livestock, a pasture left uncared for resulted in sparse ‘livestock’ and poor living for all. My life is all about ocean pastures and how depleted and decimated they have become and more importantly how we can immediately, inexpensively, sustainably, replenish and restore them to historic abundance.

My work in the Gulf of Alaska in 2012 proved how effective my methodologies and technologies. There I restored a vast ocean pasture, which started out as a blue desert. The following year proof of the success swam into the nets of Alaskan fishermen who were planning to catch the projected 50 million salmon, instead they caught 226 million fish the largest catch in all of history. Those salmon when babies in multitudes instead of mostly starving to death grazed on my/their restored ocean pasture and survived and thrived.

Today in the South Pacific tuna which once were in countless multitudes are in dire condition, only 3% of the Pacific Bluefin tuna remain, surely they are on the path to extinction. While most say it is overfishing that have eradicated the tuna that is wrong, it is the collapse of their ocean pasture. Like all ‘livestock’ if their pasture has turned into a desert, their numbers with collapse. I have a proposition for French Polynesia and many other ‘small island nations’ that have always depended on their fish. If they will grant an ocean pasture lease, the same as almost every nation in the world does for ‘livestock’ herders/homesteaders on land, I will become the caring steward of that ocean pasture and return it to historic health and abundance as I have proven in the Gulf of Alaska.

It seems to me our purposes are in near perfect synch, ‘homesteading’ always accompanied pasture care, ‘seasteading’ ought to do the same. I would greatly value the opportunity to hear from Seasteaders on this forum.

Best fishes

Russ George

<((((º>•.¸.•´¯•.¸><((((º>
<((((º>•.¸.•´¯•.¸.><((((º>

We Bring Back The Fish - www.russgeorge.net

Kelp? and water?

Welcome to the aquarium. Waters vary, as do the fauna. Many questions can be answered using the search function, but don’t be afraid to ask.

I’ve been a vocal proponent for Integrated Multi-Trophic Aquaculture/Mariculture for a long time, documenting studies, and practical methodologies to farm the oceans more sustainably, starting with kelp, then caged feeder-fish, followed by caged food-fish, shellfish, abalone, and crustaceans.

Jeff Frusha

(.) #3

We Bring Back The Fish - www.russgeorge.net

Yes. I my opinion; this makes sense.
Food production is good. Revenue generation is good.
Cooperation with indigenous people is good.
Global CO2 stuff is controversial. Though C02 reduction is still good,
in my opinion.

This is true ocean technology that cannot be ignored.
It is not only impossible, but it is done. -)

Congratulations to Russ George. Thank you for the work, and thank you for the info.

spark

(Russ George) #4

I am hoping to discover ideas in this forum on how to implement the seasteading of ocean pastures. By doing so the world of man can become the caring stewards/shepherds of ocean pastures we became when 10,000 years ago we gave up being only hunters. 70% of this blue planet is wilderness ocean which has been too long neglected and only exploited by humanity. It is vital that we bring civilized behaviour to the oceans. Please contribute ideas on how to get this message effectively out and heard and hopefully heeded.

(.) #5

Mr Russ George;

You have already contributed to get that message out.

It appears that Canadian authorities interfered with your methods.
French Polynesia might welcome these methods.
In my opinion; it would be worthy as an underground method too.

Anyways; there are the so called FADs (Fish Aggregating Device).
Some private parties did install such devices in the Pacific Ocean, close to
the shores of Orange County and San Diego County. Fish like FADs.
People in those private parties like to fish. GPS coordinates of some FADs
can be found on the Internet.

An FAD is and anchored under water object (I am writing this for other people too.)
A live-aboard boat can be connected to an FAD with a mooring line.
Boats can transfer between FADs.

An FAD could have a solar panel on the surface and a pump that pumps water
across the pycnocline, using a few hundreds of meters of garden hose.
(Ferrous sulfate from surface is also good at the same time.)

Can the dusting material be mined from the deep sea?

Back to the waters adjacent to Orange county and San Diego county:
In the recent couple years there was more blue fin tuna.
In May 2016 there was a large amount of tuna crabs washed to shores.
There might be some activity already to bring back the fish.
(spiny lobster sounds good too)

(.) #6

There is nothing yet connected to FADs.

(Russ George) #7

FAD’s are effective but they merely help to attract and catch the more of the remaining endangered fish. With Blue Fin tuna down to less than 3% of historical numbers it is clear that ‘overfishing’ is not the cause of such low numbers. With the wide ranging Blue Fin it’s not possible that the overfishing catch resulted in this low population as the ‘catchers’ success declines rapidly as numbers fall and hence as populations fall to the low side, aka 30% or so, the ability to find and catch the few remaining fish protects the population. ONLY the collapse of their habitat can push a fish like the Blue Fin to under 3%! Restoring their ocean pasture habitat will restore the population to historic abundance in a very few years time. Taking care of pastures is the first lesson of all ‘homesteaders’ and should be the same for all ‘seasteaders.’

IMHO, probably the single most effective means of replenishing the oceans is going to be hypolimnetic aeration.

Simple aeration will both oxygenate the water, and help dissolve atmospheric CO2, as well. Probably THE single worst problem of the Gulf of Mexico is the hypoxic areas where runoff is killing off the flora and fauna.

Affordable Mobility from Italy
(George Spencer) #9

Hypolimnetic aeration looks very interesting and would probably dovetail nicely in an otec style power generation plan.

I don’t want to divert this conversation away from pasture (worthy point, Russ!) but could anyone guess how mass aeration/otec would affect ocean CO2 levels?

Aeration is going to dissolve some of whatever gases are pumped into the system, and, as part of that, there would be an increase on Nitrogen, Oxygen and CO2, plus the other gases.

With CO2 at 0.04% of atmospheric content, I suspect aeration won’t have much direct affect on atmospheric concentrations, however, as algae live, die, and sink to the bottom, they carry carbon with them.

(Russ George) #11

In my work we studied the oxygen profile of the ocean in Gulf of Alaska waters that were outside my restored ocean pasture. In natural blooms as in my bloom there was a dramatic rise in oxygen throughout the vast blooming area. This is of course to be expected as photosynthesis by the bloom produces prodigious oxygen. In non-blooming waters oxygen was at the normal background levels. There is no need to build incredibly expensive engineering technology at the cost of trillions when for mere millions the ocean pasture natural productivity can be restored to historic levels of health and abundance.

My own goals are specific to the GoMex. Runoff, pollution and raw-sewage dumping into the Gulf of Mexico has created hypoxic zones where even the algae die off. Those zones are going to need artificial aeration, in order to become productive. Even algae need dissolved O2, in order to survive.

If I can get to the point that I have a hull to permanently moor, with a designated permanent mooring, and then aerate, I can start and maintain an area, which will, in turn affect the surrounding area. As that expand on its’ own, from my litle zone, it should show as much justification on the small-scale, as for the larger scale commercial restoration.

Get a number of small-scale zones going, and they will eventually have a major effect on the whole GoMex ecosystem, helping eliminate the hypoxia and reduce the harm of the coastal run-off pollution, in the process.

(.) #13

Thank you for explaining that. I see your point.
I would also like to thank you for responding.

FADs for me, just logistic objects.
A seasteader needs to moor somewhere.

Let’s ignore the FADs, and let’s talk about the seeding and taking care of
the pastures. This would probably require iron sulfate. Is that ferrous or ferric, or
does it matter? This would probably require boats and people.

Bringing the tuna back from 3% would be fantastic.

Look into Artificial Upwelling. It can be done on the cheap, with a simple floating pump mechanism (basically a buoy with a pipe and a solar powered aerator)

Research progress in artificial upwelling and its potential environmental effects

Abstract
Artificial upwelling, as a geoengineering tool, has received worldwide attention because it may actualize ocean fertilization in a sustainable way, which could potentially alleviate the pressures on the fish stocks and human-driven climate change in the ocean. We reviewed the current knowledge on the development of an artificial upwelling system and its potential environmental effects. Special attention was given to the research progress on the air-lift concept artificial upwelling by Zhejiang University. The research on artificial upwelling over the past few decades has generated a range of devices that have been successfully applied in the field for months. Based on field experiments and the associated modeling results, part of them reported positive effects on increasing primary production and enhancing CO2 sequestration. However, as a significant disturbance to the environment, especially for large-scale applications, the uncertainties related to the potential effects on ecosystem remain unsolved. Zhejiang University has overcome the technical challenges in designing and fabricating a robust and high efficiency artificial upwelling device which has been examined in two field experiments in Qiandao Lake and one sea trial in the East China Sea. It was investigated that cold and hypoxic deep ocean water (DOW) could be uplifted to the euphotic layer, which could potentially change the nutrient distribution and adjust the N/P ratio. Both simulation and field experiments results confirmed that utilizing self-powered energy to inject compressed air to uplift DOW was a valid and efficient method. Therefore, further field-based research on artificial upwelling, especially for long-term field research is required to test the scientific hypothesis. © 2015 Science China Press and Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg

(.) #15

Catching tuna could be big bucks for a seastead too.

(Tom Schaefer) #16

Fowling? Especially as the depth becomes less dive-able.

(Russ George) #17

Don’t worry about the ‘fowls’ the seabirds are now so diminished in numbers they won’t be in the way. http://russgeorge.net/2017/12/12/three-strikes-and-youre-out-n-pacific-seabirds-dying-for-the-third-year-in-a-row/

Fouling. At any depth, in a viable environment, there will be biological growths that attach to the submerged portions. Be it algae, or other marine life. Even deep sea hydrothermal vents have life forms.

(Tom Schaefer) #19

A terrible mis-spelling, despite the risk of albatrosses. I meant fouling.

(.) #20

Greetings to Russ George;

Nice to read your comments here.

Best regards;

spark