Pacific Ring Weave

(.) #101

h t t p s : / / w w w . m a t i a s v o l c o . c o m

(Chris) #102

Do you think bio growth would erode the tires? I suppose it would help attract fish and maybe start an ecosystem which could be very beneficial.

(.) #103

Bio growth would probably not erode the tires, in my opinion.

(bill mapezzi) #104

Welcome Chris, right now the cost of used tires is about the lowest it gets-free. In fact you can even get paid in some locations to use them. Here is an idea I had when I worked in Bellingham - BCS(I threw fish into boxes or sugared ice water to attain a glaze). Fiirst, you mentioned you had a mooring (but no boat), so you need a boat. There is actually a free lumberyard right in your backyard - I had this idea about 3 years ago and I checked on ALL the “lummi reservation codes”. There does not appear to be one that creates a violation for salvaging logs that are a navigational hazard. If one were to fish just up the mouth of a certain river you will find an extensive logjam. Two in fact. one is farther in to access but it may be easier to dislodge some of the “logs”, some being over 100ft long and six feet wide. I have previously determined from logs along shore that most of the wood is still excellent quality. I haven’t checked the ones that are submerged - and certainly they are not a “navigational hazard” for a small fishing boat but have heard depending on the species they also are of great value. Anyway if one could figure out how not to kill themselves doing it (I never did get to the head of the logjam as I had nowhere to bring the logs), it wouldn’t seem that hard to build oneself a 300 x 80 foot raft “yacht” over the span of a summer out of salvaged logs. No one really needs to know if you found them in the sound or stuck in the river. If I’ve said too much already skip to the last paragraph.
So by utilizing the logs as flotation and a simple boat regestration as a “license” one could enlarge the raft to 200 x 1000 or so and suspend ring weave tires under them.(at 1000feet long I would think you are in deeper water now). The Pacific mussel grows large quickly in good water like you have. Washington doesn’t care for aquaculture at the moment but there is no laws preventing you from “renting” the property by the hour to mussel seekers with an ordinary sportfishing license. Tell the curious fish and game that they are welcome to camp out on your raft and “shoo” the mussels away.
All those asian buffets around (not to mention Seattle) will make you wish you had 10 acres of mussel farm instead of just 1/2 acre. People eat them even most white people if you can get them to take a “first bite”. Indians used to eat them as a staple but since the educated ones go your your typical state environazi unirversity they have made the source of food unavailable for their tribe for the most part. You know you will have made a success when the sea lions start camping on your yacht. When the killer whales start to frequent the waters also you will probably have to find a way to keep the sea lions away, maybe some fake killer whale noise or ear piecing underwater high frequency - or a chain link fence and bottom.

The labor is the hangup at the moment for the ringweave. Apparently I’m not going to start weaving until I know what I’m weaving and have thousands of tires to weave and Spark is not going to plan what to weave or facilitate collecting thousands of tires until hundreds of people start banging on his door with 500 tires or so and is satisfied that the authorities won’t remove the project before completion (whatever it is). but if you are onboard that makes 3. Octavian wants to “see” first, JL and noboxes have washed their hands of the idea (environmental and structural concerns), TSI largely ignores, however scatters the thread whenever it occupies top spot long- so I suspect jealosy, and even though there are numerous successful designs and even a raft capable of crossing the Atlantic actually built and tested, the “business” community decided to chase the original engineer away on political grounds. Me? I’m as shameless as a junkyard dog.

(.) #105

Hi;
Well, yes. I try to rigweave on. Tires are free right now, and those can get cheaper.
It takes very small investment to weave tires.
Tire weaving is possible. It is easier to weave same size tires, or at least to say, it
is easier to weave tires when the length of the shortest ring is four times the with of
the widest one.
I thought about bio-growth on tires: screws would stay in tires rings because of the wire mash.
Easy to put screws in the tires. Can be done after rings are woven. Washers can be used to
make surface larger. Ceramic pieces can be screwed to the tires, so it would jingle not just creak.

(bill mapezzi) #106

I’m sold already by the one picture of mussels you posted. Turned out not much but algea grows on the tires when they tumble all around in storm waves. Nothing to do with “growth” not liking the tire material.

(.) #107

I think , you are right. It seems to be the movement of the tires not the material
that prevents bio-enhancement.

(Matias Volco) #108

we’re continuing this discussion over floatingislands

(Chris) #109

Bill, I’m still digesting your post. Amazing to have someone here who knows so much about the area I’m in already.

While we figure out how to scale this, I’m officially becoming a ringweave experimenter. Found a couple tires in an industrial alley.

(Matias Volco) #110

hello Ancap I saw a couple of your posts but didn’t comment.Tires are already “complex” structural units. Consider a composite approach with even more broken down components.
What is exactly what you would dream of achieve in your context?

(Chris) #111

I will definitely keep an open mind about other materials that could augment the tire weave structure. Learning from everyone else’s experience.

I want to figure out how to effectively create a structure that I can fix solar panels to and have it be stable enough to not sink and to walk on occasionally. Doesn’t have to be perfectly stable. It would serve a dual purpose of dampening waves for other areas of the seastead.

(Chris) #112

I have to say the cutting doesn’t seem all that time consuming. Takes 1-2 minutes to cut off the sides off a tire.

(bill mapezzi) #113

Well, I’m on my 25th residence in 4 states,1 commonwealth, and 2 countries. So If everyone(840 users of this site) moves as much as I do, someone here would have probably been from your neck of the woods. If you ever go through Ferndale and see people outside, just walk up and ask for “Art”, the large pollock. He gives “tours” of the “Clocktower”. Sell him some solar panels(cash only) and tell him he owes me $1600. I worked for him after I quit BCS and haven’t got my last paycheck yet.

(.) #114

Specially after 20 of them.

(.) #115

Would it be possible to reopen the topic: Sailboat models out of jenga, please.