Pacific Ring Weave

(.) #1

DSCF0115a

(.) #2

DSCF0114a

(Gerd Weiland) #3

very good spark that looks exactly like the real thing, sic; steel reinforced scrap tire treads. Now try to modify your weaving sequence on this two dimensional level.You will be well rewarded

(.) #5

(.) #6

IMG_20180122_200413

(.) #7

IMG_20180123_155315

(Alex Smith) #8

can such producing be automatic?

(.) #9

Right on.

Automating the process would be a dig deal.
Manual labor is still OK with me.

(Alex Smith) #10

will if it could be automaticlly, i guess there could be a public agency to make it day and night and use it to expand the area of the floating city :smiley:

(.) #12

I am not much in favor of a ‘public agency’.
I am just a private individual.

(.) #13

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

(Kim Cowdroy) #14

Pentagons and Hexagons

Note I think it would be possible to construct pentagons and hexagons in a similar manner to the previously shown squares that were connected together using rods.

It would require some slightly longer tires (truck tires?), some smaller tires (motor bike tires?) and some physical distorting to construct them (less wide would be better).

It would, however, open up further shape possibilities since each side can connect to any side of any of the three shapes, with each side being about one metre long…

Expanding out the square, possible patterns are then shown as follows.

To construct the pentagon, start with the middle tires as on the left below. Note the smaller tires required. Then add the pattern in the centre by weaving outwards, to get the final pentagon on the right.

Similarly, constructing the hexagon would start with the left three tires, probably better to have one inside the other, and then add the outer tires. The tires second from the outside need to be more like 5 to 1 length to width, instead of 4 to 1.

Connecting two faces looks something like

(Kim Cowdroy) #15

Mooring Buoy

Using pentagons and hexagons created using tires, it is possible to connect them together to form a sphere that could be the base for a simple ocean buoy.

The connections are similar to a soccer ball. With the sides about one metre or more, the diameter of the sphere is almost five metres.

Looking at the top of a soccer ball, with a pentagon on top and hexagons connected to it for comparison,

Note the three way handshake of the connectors (using thin tires, or possibly multiple bicycle tires rather than rods).

looking at it from another angle, the curvature is more obvious.

Also note I think it would be possible, to have a cylinder with circumference of 16 tires and about 5 metres in diameter that could have a hemisphere (top part of the soccer ball) that could be joined to close off the cylinder at both ends to form the base for a spar seastead. Requires turning two hexagons into pentagons and adjusting the top/bottom of the cylinder.

(.) #16

Very good work, and very nice pictures, but probably this is not the way.
Though, it is nice to be able to explore this way with a computer generated image.

(.) #17

I would be most interested about the weaving technique that leaves no holes.
There are some images of it, and it would be nice to see the weaving of the
basic units one by one on separate pictures beginning from the first piece.

(Kim Cowdroy) #18

The wall with no holes is a simple Vee pattern ie two tires forming a Vee continually. Do NOT start with the four tires linked together.

I think the basic rule is to always make sure the inside of a tire has both perpendicular tires wrapped around the centre of it before you place a perpendicular tire that closes off the end of that tire.

So you start with a simple Vee (upside down and side on) and initially you can add to that.

At some point you will add another layer to start locking it. If we put vertical tires in, then they should start at the top and work down so we are placing the vertical tires on the inside of the horizontal tires first.

If one more vertical is to be continued here then note we have to put the vertical underneath first in order to fill in the inside of the horizontal.

To continue with a row of horizontals, it is then best to start from near the bottom and work upwards.

Note also that you could create a big flat surface with two matching horizontal lines and form a cylinder by connecting these up fairly simply by starting from one end and working to the other end with the same principle. (By simple I mean including a large crane or two!)

(.) #20

DSCF0375a

Under water. (fresh water) In an aquarium. Now I just need some fish.

(Gerd Weiland) #21

very good cowboy,(even though i can assure you that there is a world of experience between your PC and a real life Ring Weave application and you will quickly realize that you can ring weave with just muscle power alone, most scrap tire structures without the need of one, let alone two small or large cranes), this is one more Ring weave principle which i have already successfully applied in many industrial applications as you can see by example from the pics i submitted. This Ring-Web System we call the “D” principle, which stands for diagonal, as you can recognize in the “fish bone” design. The Ring-Web (D) will enable the construction of 2 and 3 dimensional homogeneous structures with no openings. BINGO–now we have the basis for hollow steel reinforced rubber tube shaped Seastead structures out of scrap tires, into which for example compacted plastic waste can be inserted to enable sufficient water displacement. (another waste disposal problem which can be solved by the Seastead pioneer to the benefit of our environment and which will generate additional financial support let alone potential positive PR for the Seastead movement) These indestructible (no connecting elements required) floating Seastead platforms represent an engineering break-through for the Seastead movement. A novel paradigm jump in marine engineering, which represents a quantum leap in construction technology and financial feasibility for those many Seastead pioneers with more time than money to live their Seastead dream. A construction system which can finance itself as i have many times already stated in context with a simple scrap tire and plastic waste disposal cooperation with your local community. A realistic floating Seastead platform which can be expanded into any dimensions and by (total flexibility) design provides mechanical energy independence.

(Gerd Weiland) #22

dear spark of course the Ring-weave scrap tire system can be automated and would cost aprox 500,000$ as i have already researched many years ago. At this time i owned an international patent on the Ring-Weave principle in context with the scrap tire Up-cycle System and i can assure you that every conceivable aspect of technical let alone toxicological research was conducted to ensure a global market potential. However i had not considered the global waste disposal mafia which had and i can assure still has no interest whatsoever in allowing any innovative waste management disposal system which endangers the financial investment in existing waste management and associated logistics. Regardless of the self evident benefits to the environment and the tax payer. I will spare you the morbid details. This miscalculation on my part cost me and my partners a lot of money and time and constrained my personal ability to independently promote the objectives of the Seastead movement as i certainly would have done. Even had i become the "Bill Gates"of global waste management by virtue of this Ring-Weave invention as my patent lawyer surmised, i still would not have tried to automate this aspect of Ring-Web application as this would be difficult to install on a floating Seastead location. The Ring-Web system in context with offshore expansion is only feasible by hand and indeed, what is wrong with offering the Seastead pioneer a System by which they could finance their objectives by themselves as they proceed? The homestead pioneers of the past would have been happy to enjoy such a significant support. Of course one needs to leave the comfort of a safe warm household and get ones hands dirty and use a carpet knife instead of a computer mouse.

(.) #23

Hello Mr. Weiland;

I am sorry about your monetary loss.
Yes, the “global waste disposal mafia” has no interest of solving anything.
They need crisis, and the resolution of the crisis diminishes the importance of the gang.
(I like the term: cohorts)

Same things appear in context of carbon-dioxide, global warming, global warming denial.
(ohh, yes they have a term for it, and it is evil, the global warming denials)
I think, it is even more evil to deny a chance to solve that CO2 accumulation and global warming
that they believe in.

Ooo, wel, what do I know? Thank you for smoking.

A little research about used car tire disposal in the state of California, USA reveals,
that the storage of used tires ,without a license, is limited to 500 tires. And transportation
of the tires , without a license, is limited to 10 tires.
The tire fee is distributed between those people with licenses, and I do not know how the rest
of the money is accounted for. So, yes, there is probably a circle of “friends”.
(This, ‘circle of friends in economics’ is not limited only to a capitalistic system.)

So anyways, there might be some useful information in what I wrote.
If not, than may be there is some entertainment value in it.