Offshore aquaculture | realistic projects | big business | seafood | ocean colonization | ocean ranching | oceanic investment | world food security | oceanic business alliance

(Wilfried Ellmer) #41

I am the thread starter - so what is apropiate for this thread is my call - not yours.

• If you don´t like my thread, the apropiate thing would be, to open your own thread, for the topic you pretend, instead ranting on my thread, that you are not in agreement with it - isn`t that obvious ?

• The hypothesis that ranting and negativity is not a good way to move seasteading forward was coined earlier.

• I did not force you to visit my thread you did come in here. So bare with me or leave.

Thanks for the links.

Rantring, controversy, meta topics, in the cafe please which is the apropiate thread for this kind of stuff.

Kindest Regards

The thread starter

Ecofisk tank | oil storage concrete tank in the North Sea.

Ekofisk is a gravity structure, please explain how that applies to Seasteading, with a goal of floating, mobility, expanding into International Waters, etc.

Nick Terdre
Contributing Editor
After years of planning, ConocoPhillips has finally begun abandonment of the Ekofisk tank on its flagship field in the Norwegian sector of the North Sea. Cleaning of the tank’s storage cells is under way, and a contractor has been chosen to remove the topsides, starting next year.
Surrounded by its protective barrier, the Ekofisk tank, 2/4 T , stands like a colossus at the center of the Ekofisk platform complex. Installed in 1973 in a water depth of around 75 m, it was the first offshore installation with a concrete gravity base. The latter is 90 m high and 89 m in diameter, and weighs 290,000 tonnes.

Troll A is the single tallest gravity-based structure ever built.
Dimensions[edit]

Continuous slip formed gravity base structure supports under construction in a Norwegian fiord. The tower cranes delivered concrete to the support cylinders during the continuous pour of concrete to create seamless walls.
The Troll A platform has an overall height of 472 metres (1,549 ft), weighs 683,600 tons (1.2 million tons with ballast)[2] and has the distinction of being the tallest and heaviest structure ever moved by mankind. The platform stands on the sea floor 303 metres (994 feet) below the surface of the sea and one of the continuous-slip-formed[3] concrete cylindrical legs (the leg containing the import and export risers) has an elevator that takes over nine minutes to travel[3] from the platform above the waves to the sea floor. The walls of Troll A’s legs are over 1 metre thick made of steel reinforced concrete formed in one continuous pour (slip forming)[3] and each is a mathematically joined composite of several conical cylinders that flares out smoothly to greater diameters at both the top and bottom, so each support is somewhat wasp-waisted viewed in profile and circular in any cross-section (see picture at right). The concrete legs must be able to withstand intense pressure so are built using a continuous flow of concrete, a lengthy process that takes 20 minutes per 5 cm laid.

Construction[edit]
Troll A was built by Norwegian Contractors for Norske Shell, with base construction beginning in July 1991[4] at a cost of 4150 million NOK,[5][6] or approximately US$650 million at the time.[7] The base and the deck were built separately, and were joined in 1995 while the base was partially submerged. The base is a Condeep gravity base structure built from reinforced concrete.

Seamounts, being the result of volcanic activity, are subject to rising, and subsiding, at the whim of geological movement. What happens when the earth shrugs, and your seamount rises, causing your gravity-base structure to topple, or subsides, causing it to sink?

(Wilfried Ellmer) #43

The Ecofisk tank is a classical case how “off the shelf concrete casting” is applied to create big industrial marine structures in the North Sea. Check on the other 50 structures of this lot and their building details here.

The methods used in these structures are summed up under heavy method .

For the field of Offshore Aquaculture, especially for free floating truss structure cages the more advanced light composit methods should be applied.

Advanced cement composites can be made weight neutral in sea water what makes them ideal for economic and durable fish enclosure cages that can stand the ambient of the open sea.

More on advanced concrete technology in Seasteading

Truss structure in printed concrete composite.

Artist Matias Volco

This picture shows how production and use of fish cages can be combined with a floating harbor support structure in the open sea.

Hypothesis:

We can definitly impove on what is implemented technology already in offshore aquaculture

It is rather about the novel use of cement bonder, fiber, and filler, combinations than the application of large scale industial concrete cast.

Sesteading will open a unrestricted development space for “special concrete engineering” that goes far beyond what is “off the shelf tech” today.

Althogh the classical concrete methods have their use in seasteading when it comes to city size (check Mullberry | Monaco Breakwater | Oostershelde | ) for smaller size, smarter composite materials will play an important role.

Especially aquaculture with its needs for enclosure cages will be a key field to drive that.

For the business community taking leadership on the new frontier the strategic need to get a foodhold in this upcomming technology is key.

Just more commercial crap from @Elmo, who still thinks he owns this web site.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #45

Truss structure | structural model for a fish enclosure |

In the context of offshore aquaculture also check the topic of "[open ocean pasture management](https://discuss.seasteading.org/t/tuna-collapse-demands-for-pasture-management-not-hunter-regulation/2294)"

Malpelo Colombia | how open ocean in upwelling condition occurring naturally can look like....
And the topic of "oceanic geoengineering" creating conditions of "rich and productive open ocean" by means of human intervention.
@Richtrish1967 | Richard you are on the cutting edge of the business of open ocean aquaculture with your projects - unfortunatly in your first intent to post on these forum you where shued away by the angry bulleying group who tries to dominate this forum - can you come back and tell your story in this thread i opend - please...

With competent posters going away and frusha in his several manifestations and multiple id s | dohse | etc. | agressivly taking over, these forums need you back … to get things on track again and become a competent reference source as most of the 540 forum members desire.

"lunipit topics" in the [cafe only](https://discuss.seasteading.org/t/oceanic-real-estate-global-networking-hubs-extraterritorialized-oceanic-business-alliance/1925/56 ) please - The thread starter.

Then all YOUR Commercials for YOUR sites, legitimately belonging in the there…

(Wilfried Ellmer) #47

Back to topic which is :

Offshore aquaculture | realistic projects | big business | seafood | ocean colonization

context: | interference | tort sistem | corporate settlement | aquaculture in the US is one of the victims… | a new interference free approach to aquaculture needs to be found.

… not going to dedicate a further line to | Frusha | Dohse | obsessive disorder - cluster issues… | reference … further read… Joe Quirk suggestion : ignore

Then quit spamming us with your garbage.

"… over and over and over and over …"
:open_mouth:

So, I had this idea… Combine 2 tensegrity domes, to make a sphere, then use hog-rings to attach fish netting to the inside, and wire mesh to the outside.

Use a central spar-buoy to tie a mooring to, with a mast and marker to be able to a) find it, b) keep vessels from running over it.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #51

When we talk about Offshore aquaculture the normal netting materials fall a bit short. My expert panel recommends something that is shark bite proof. The currently existing tuna rearing operations need to repair the net cages constantly when sharks bite trough them to get to the tuna inside the pods… Some operators have been experimenting with copper wire netting as enclosure material - but i think we can build even better solutions that can resisist both oceanic predetors and saltwater corrosion for decades what makes operation much less troublesome for the ocean rancher.

(.) #52

Kevlar and twenty more characters.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #53

@spark - I am not sure if kevlar could resist shark bite - a interesting topic of “field investigation to do…” certainly.

I know for sure that divers in the touristic shark feeding business use metal mesh suits for shark bite protection - not kevlar - which would be definitly lighter and easier to use during scuba dive - if it where shark bite proof …

(.) #54

The other idea could be: biorock/seacreat development on the metal mesh sphere.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #55

@spark | definitly ! especially the repair of a damaged truss shell cage underwater in two stages | put meshwire to avoid fish loss | repair permanent and corrosion safe with seacreate aggregation | could be a first line practical use for seacrete…

(.) #56

Well, it is not my invention, but/and it could be an application.

The next step, as I see it, is to build ships/vessels/structures.
But vessels, as self repelled ships would be good.
The idea of “vote with boat” necessitates a boat.
No boat = no vote /// all with a boat are equal to each others.

Sorry for the corny word games. I came up with a way to build boats,
and I am in the process of developing it. There are some pictures of it
on my yahoo discussion board.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #57

@spark can you give me a link to your yahoo discussion board please.

I did specify wire on the outside… Just sayin’

(.) #59

Thank you for asking:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AquaticLifestyle

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AquaticLifestyle/conversations/messages/107

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AquaticLifestyle/conversations/messages/125

(.) #60

Well, wire, copper, kevlar or biorock, whatever works.