Offshore aquaculture | realistic projects | big business | seafood | ocean colonization | ocean ranching | oceanic investment | world food security | oceanic business alliance

(Wilfried Ellmer) #1

This tread is dedicated to investigate and picture realistic offshore aquaculture project setups that can stand up to the task to feed a expanding human population on the planet and be big business in a near inmediate future.

(No cluttering serious contributions only)
Velella
https://youtu.be/OPs-0LfCEq0

Havfarm

https://youtu.be/6Tvpny5WxyM

Self propelled ocean cage

Bluefin Tuna Cowboys ( National Geographics )

https://youtu.be/V4kEiBKWDys

Business projections:

check in this context:
[ocean food safety emergent laws](http://discuss.seasteading.org/t/is-45-the-earths-surface-a-state-free-society-of-emergent-law/1275?u=ellmer) | solving the bottleneck of ocean colonization | [big business](http://nautilusmaker.discoursehosting.net/t/the-big-five-of-ocean-colonization-transport-energy-aquaculture-mining-real-estate/288 ) on the oceans | key players key technology | frontier development | frontier investment | [sustainablility on planet earth](http://concretesubmarine.activeboard.com/t58921987/sustainability-population-growth-consumption-growth-ocean-co/ ) | oceanic industry cluster integration | get started | get invested | smale scale ventures | [purpose driven seasteads](http://discuss.seasteading.org/t/seasteads-with-role-dedicated-purpose-islands-fasttrack-progress-islands-industrial-production-islands/1054/1) |

What do you think of this super fish farm?
Is 45% the earth's surface a state-free society of emergent law?
Seasteading Invest | the big five of ocean colonization | investment yield 10%+ | oceanic business alliance
Breakaway Civilization | Seasteading | Ocean Colonization | Advanced Oceanic Cities | Atlantis | Enlightenment | Oceanic Business Alliance | next big thing in business
Breakaway Civilization | Seasteading | Ocean Colonization | Advanced Oceanic Cities | Atlantis | Enlightenment | Oceanic Business Alliance | next big thing in business
Seasteading Invest | the big five of ocean colonization | investment yield 10%+ | oceanic business alliance
Kelp? and water?
Thinking Volumetrically opposed to Linearly. The key to success?
Modular Extension | Connectors | Cellular expansion | Building Technology
Breakwater Design
Breakwater Design
Picture the Ramform | get invested | get started | oceanic business alliance
I think nations will invest in Seasteading
Naval Forts and the Pacific
Making a living at sea has been possible for millenia | oceanic business alliance
French Polynesia Open to Seasteading Collaboration
An interesting article on the future of fish farming

In order to make the most efficient use of nutrients and mitigate pollution and reduce incidences of disease, I would highly recommend I.M.T.A. - Intergrated, Multi-Trophic Aquaculture (or Aquaponics).

Essentially, by growing Kelp, you can have food for a feeder-fish species, raise them and feed them to market fish, rather than taking more grain products for feed, and wasting more agricultural land, when you can be independent of land-sourced feeds, cut feed costs to just labor, and use the kelp as filtration/nutrient re-uptake source, to mitigate fish wastes. Adding Abalone and feeding them Kelp will help diversify the production base, and adding oysters will help with additional filtration of the water. Basically, youā€™d have all of it along a short stretch, in a currnt, so the market fish are furthest upstream, the oysters behind them, then the feeder-fish, followed by the Abalone, and finally the Kelp bed.

http://discuss.seasteading.org/t/i-m-t-a-integrated-multi-trophic-aquaponics-my-concept/1053

Hereā€™s a good paper on the subject, from one of my favorite publications and research sitesā€¦

Open-water Integrated Multi-Trophic
Aquaculture: environmental biomitigation and
economic diversification of fed aquaculture by
extractive aquaculture.
Article in Reviews in Aquaculture Ā· December 2012

(Wilfried Ellmer) #3

@JL_Frusha | please do not clutter a simple link to your thread is sufficient - it allows interested people to follow on voluntary base instead of getting all your stuff stuffed down the throat againā€¦please respect my non clutter request for this thread in the thread head.
Could you be so kind and delete the 3 pages of clutter and conform wiht a link to your threadā€¦?

It is all about creating a pleasent and efficient experience for the reader - especially for the one who is NOT interested in the frusha concept...

Oceanic Real estate | global networking hubs | Extraterritorialized | oceanic business alliance
Oceanic Real estate | global networking hubs | Extraterritorialized | oceanic business alliance

To the best of my knowledge, the pdf is nowhere else on this site. If you want serious discourse, then you need to accept good source documentation. IIRC, your claimed field of expertise is ferrocement. Iā€™ve researched and documented everything Iā€™ve posted. If @RandolphHencken decides itā€™s a crap post, then he can remove it.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #5

@JL_Frusha - sorry - my fault - i erroneously thought i might get best results in fullfilling the thread purpose when talking to you as if you where a normal personā€¦suceptible to reason. ( it is not about posting your stuff it is about misplacing it where it is not supposed to be what is a poor service to the seasteading community ) a link would be acceptable - a 3 page clutter avalanche not. - but that is just my opinion - i probably should leave the seasteading forum - so i do not have to deal with angry people like you anymore - over time many valuable voices didā€¦ six pages of frusha clutterā€¦ please please do not ā€œanswer this and clutter furtherā€ ( probably a futile request) can we have a frusha free space here ? (probably a futile request)ā€¦i feel frustratedā€¦

So, the thread is NOT about Offshore Aquaculture? Then why did you name it that? Maybe you should think, before you randomly open a topic.

Unless youā€™re a member at Researchgate, you may not have any other access to that document on Aquaculture, I had to convert from pdf to jpg, and upload here, as a good source of information on the topic. As for the blurb from the IMTA thread, that was system generated.

However, if your goal is to open a topic in such a way as to exclude me, maybe you should try your own forums.

(Matias Volco) #7

Thanks for the link Jeff, as a matter of fact anyone may freely read the text here
as well as the references such as this one which mentions a test site within a coastal inlet. I wonder how IMTA would adapt deeper offshore with different patterns of nutrient dispersal.

When I joined, you had to have an affiliation with a university, or organization. Must have changed the policy over the years.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #9

The future of fishfarming is the open ocean | @Matias - wonderfull video - nailing it to the point - what a great contribution to the thread topic !

This sistem goes beautiful with the ocean sphere habitat for the maintenance crew on long drift voyagesā€¦ two spheres drifting along housing and job for a familyā€¦

Modern fish farm

You know, thatā€™s probably why we donā€™t get along. You raise sand over me posting anything, even helpful, and on-topic, simply because itā€™s me, but damned if you donā€™t suck up to everyone else, just trying to spread your hatred for me, even though weā€™ve only ever ā€˜metā€™ online.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #11

ā€¦ the hatred is only in your head - i just want a frusha free space here to make progress on the thread topic that is differentā€¦you are barking up the wrong treeā€¦you are choosing the wrong targetā€¦this is just confusing and a bit annoying for anybody who is not in your headā€¦maybe sabrina can help. ( i am still trying to talk to a ā€œnon existantā€ normal person? - @sabrinabenso can i have some orientation on that )

That is not ā€œbig business some dayā€ - that is big business TODAY

Then go post in your space. Easy-peasy.

So, someone can look up and make a shorter link to the Aquaponics paper I posted, big woop. I shared someone else hard work in your thread and you got bent out of shape, because it was me. Put on your big-boy undies and grow up.

(Matias Volco) #13

Ocean Ranching (Schooling?) sure will be a lifestyle!!!
The most entrepreneurial farmers could even travel to affluent cities and sell the crop live to fancy restaurants :wink:

Living it on the range: Ocean Sphere Habitat and Ocean Farm

Instead of importing the fish larvae and feed from land , could Ocean Hatcheries and plankton mills be established in floating ponds (light plates) inside the protection of an artificial floating harbor?

Ocean Drifters - Fish Ranchers with support harbor on the background for logistics, transportation hub, hatchery, feed stock and some misc commercial services.

Could this combination afford Massive Open Ocean Aquaculture?
http://nautilusmaker.discoursehosting.net/t/massive-open-ocean-aquaculture-projects-human-survival/285/4

Visualizing an Open Ocean Farming Settlement

Picture the Ramform | get invested | get started | oceanic business alliance
Modern fish farm
Long stay cruise ships
(Wilfried Ellmer) #14

@Matias - a spectacular work ! Visualizing is an important task . I see what you give us here is just a ā€œappetizerā€ the complete version is on floatingislandsā€¦

Just for the record there are many other designs that can be part of such a floating marine cluster, and other business fields too. Starting with a fish factory. A repair facility. Med center. etc...etc... such a aquaculture cluster has a realistic chance to grow organicly to a city over time. Just like the cattle farming settlements on the american frontier[.](http://discuss.seasteading.org/t/seasteads-with-role-dedicated-purpose-islands-fasttrack-progress-islands-industrial-production-islands/1054)..

Other designs are feasible too | As it was mentioned in the video above "the violence of the ocean decreases EXPONENTIALLY with depthā€¦

For both the cages and the habitatsā€¦ all kind of loose and rigid clustering of units is on the tableā€¦ Neil Sims from velella always mentions that the weakest part of the sistem is a surface boat constantly beaten up by the ocean waves - waves find their way to break thingsā€¦in his conferences he is talking about ā€œrunning it like a space stationā€ ā€¦

[quote="Matias, post:13, topic:1631"] Ocean Ranching (Schooling?) sure will be a lifestyle [/quote]

@Richtrish1967 - I am missing Richard as a contributor in this conversation, sadly he was shued away by the ā€œangry doodler coalitionā€ in his first posts on this forum back in august 2015ā€¦ (his comment was ā€œso many angry people on this forumā€) -

And there was another guy living on a floating ocean farm in Singapore - very active in the first forum version, with expert aquaculture posting - also goneā€¦ those two (and some others now gone) where probably the closest thing to a real world active ocean rancher the forum had a chance to talk toā€¦and more important LISTEN tooā€¦and learn fromā€¦

(Wilfried Ellmer) #15

a bit different approach to a ā€œfish cage solutionā€

Enormous scale is possible feasible and tested already (Ecofisk Tank) | with improved concrete composite shell methods a composite that is weight neutral in saltwater is doable.

(Matias Volco) #16

Could those concrete frames double as buoys and ocean fencing?
Surveillance, testing and feeding equipment might have something to hold on to that way reducing either propulsion or lines, or the need of a boat

Permanently operating the above support boat on belowĀ“s conditions doesnĀ“t look either profitable or fun

in this context the picture of Ekofisk looks like a giant version of existing aquculture pens.

The bottom could be mostly solid (if trapping sediments, scrap food and waste, is desired) like an artificial seabed where lobster, sea urchin and cucumber might dwell and take shelter,

Closed Containment could also be an option to further alter-control conditions

Indeed it would be helpful to listen to the opinion of someone already doing open ocean aquaculture.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #17

@Matias i think the foto of the tuna rearing cage in ā€œaverage open ocean conditionsā€ makes the point quite clearā€¦

You definitly do not want to have stuff on the surface where the ocean is most violent ā€¦"break fatique etcā€¦ decreases EXPONENTIALLY with depth | run it like a space station (Neil Sims Velella) |

another design for an oceanic fish cageā€¦

Surveillance, testing and feeding equipment ā€¦ need to become part of an ā€œintegrated underwater operationā€ or have the protection of a big ramform that does all the wave breaking and handlingā€¦and is at least 3 times wave size to exlude wave action in its lagoon featrueā€¦

If you can not do aquaculture near a port due to the contamination you need to get the port out to the open seaā€¦ or make the operation port independent and shelter independent for good.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #18

In a near future all human activity and production needs to be 100% closed cycle based - ocean drift cages are just a intermediate solution that buys a couple of decades and allows to get thereā€¦

(Wilfried Ellmer) #19

The big five business fields of ocean colonization: | oceanic transport | oceanic energy | oceanic real estate | deep sea mining | oceanic aquaculture |

The size of those business fields is just outlandish - oceanic aquaculture will have to supply something in the range of 14 billion meals per day (leaving land based agriculture at 7 billion meals per day). That is a market worth to ā€œinvest inā€.

Tuna collapse demands for pasture management not hunter regulation
(Wilfried Ellmer) #20

Oceanic fish pod ā€œrun it like a space-stationā€ ā€¦ (ref 879)

The Housing solution is a submarineā€¦instead a surface boat beaten up by the wavesā€¦compared to Ben Franklin a higer degree of mobility (for the oceanic housing solution - not the drift cage) is convenient.

Ben Franklin hosted a crew of 4 for a month in a transatlantic drift dive ā€¦ the hull we built in Cartagena is twice the size of Ben Franklinā€¦(ref 345)