Octavian's Reefstead

(Chad Elwartowski) #1

Continuing the discussion from Reviewing DeltaSync’s construction estimates on the simple square Concrete Caissons:

I like it Octavian, you should submit it to the Architectural Design Contest for some more exposure.

A few questions, as I am sure others have.

The picture of the combined seasteads shows a flat surface where they connect implying that you can walk across or have a large flattened area when they are combined but the picture of the individual seastead shows it slanted in the front which would create a sort of valley when connected. Does the slanted front help with speed?

What are your estimates on square footage and cost?

I like the inner cove, it would likely set a lot of peoples’ minds at ease for recreation as opposed to jumping into a several kilometers deep ocean. As well as a multitude of other benefits I am sure.

Thank you for sharing.

Dive Destination Resort (more of a camp, really)

@Elwar

The combined picture has less detail, intended to just show what can be achieved when such structures are rafted up. Also, the individual seasteads will have a “deck” all around them (not shown-my bad). When rafted up, this deck will allow access across to each structure. Think of it like the streets of a city,…

No, the slanted front won’t help with speed, but with handling big waves crashing into the bow when stationary or under way. Overall, the structure is not design for speed and when under way it will be slow due to its high beam and large underwater hull’s “wet” surface.

I estimated around 8-10 knt cruising speed with a max. speed of around 15 knt under power. If mobility is the main goal, as in crossing oceans and navigating all over the place, I would just sail it. Wind is free :smiley:

As for estimated cost, it’s hard to predict since there are so many variables, mainly function of size and intended use.

Artificial Floating Coral Reefs
(Wilfried Ellmer) #3

What needs to be done for a cost estimate is fund an account start to build a couple of squaremeters and then do the calculation money input divided by real estate square meter output. A serious investor will put USD 100.000 on the table to run such a pilot project just to get a consolidated info about it. If you build it as a honeycomb structure any part of the structure costs basicly the same…

doing a piece like this gives you a good cost estimate. Try to keep things apart and not mix the cost of the structure and its floating real estate square meters with the costs of a restaurant or a boutique. Keep it simple. Raw building is simple and predictible. This is why a good focus on the primary segment is key to project success.

That might work as a very approximate estimate…The only problem I foresee is that when we take size and intended use in consideration, the TOTAL cost might change quite dramatically.

For example, if the size is 80 feet and the intended destination is a “floating platform hang out by the artificial reef, get a beer and a burger and go home at sunset”, the total cost will be close to the approx. estimate.

If the size is 300 feet and the intended destination is a “20 rooms, restaurant, bar, all air conditioned with swimming pool, tropical landscape, sandy beaches high end floating boutique resort by an artificial coral reef”, the total cost will be a totally different figure than the approx. estimate.

(Matias Volco) #5

But even in land construction you can seldom get a “total” final cost quote before actually laying the bricks and finding out how many 'unexpected" complications arise.
The best way to get the most accurate approximation is to actually BUILD ONE!
Easier said…
but we’re coser

(Wilfried Ellmer) #6

focus on primary task floating real estate square meters, do not mix restaurant and boutique with structure building cost. The more complicated the project (and its cost structure) is to explain the harder it is to get investors on board.Look for a early pilot project with a low upfront money entrance barrier and have the key conversation while sitting on a structure that makes your point. Offer a tip your toe opt in.

(Larry G) opened #8

Lately I have been working on the Reefstead Project an hopefully we will be launching at the end of September.

The concept has changed a bit, meaning that we are aiming to be located on (or very close by) a coral reef restoration aquaculture nursery instead of having the reef as part of the structure since that would have been quite challenging to built,…

Find out more about it here: http://reefstead.weebly.com/

(Chad Elwartowski) #10

Awesome news Octavian.

Do you have any plans to use seacrete to assist in growing the coral?

I like your idea of SCUBA tours. I look forward to seeing this happen.

Me too :smile:

I doubt it because we will be few miles offshore and running current while @ anchor to a bottom structure will be a bit challenging, for now.

But there are some amazing results in Bali with using seacrete.

https://youtu.be/_D42CawaPzw?t=24

Overall, we are planning to work with Coral Restoration Foundation https://coralrestoration.org/ and donate a percentage of our profits to them.

Ideally we will be located near one of their coral nurseries which are few miles offshore.

Now, all this being function of feasibility and if State of Florida permitted. If not, then Belize or Bahamas.

(Chad Elwartowski) #12

I agree that this is a difficult task. I have been trying to think of a way to build seacrete at the ocean floor without running some crazy solar panel on the surface.

I wonder if a hydrogenerator like this could generate energy down there if there is any current:
Deploying-the-Save-Marine-2

(.) #13

post withdrawn by author will be deleted 24 hrs. bla bla

I’m sure it can. There is always a tidal current. But I don’t think generation is a problem but delivery down to the bottom,…

I’m thinking that the only way it could be done is by running a wire alongside the anchor’s rode and chain all the way to the bottom, and then distributed from there, otherwise it will get tangled due to the boat (seastead) rotation in the circle of anchoring.

But even so, the anchor chain always twists and turns on the bottom, so it might get tangled anyway…

Best idea could be to anchor a generator (a waterproof one with some lateral fins and a skeg on it - to keep it in the current) ) half way down with a float (buoy) on the surface and make that whole set up pretty tight. Now you can run a wire from the gen. to the bottom and distribute from there. And have a dozen of them around the nursery site.

(.) #15

post withdrawn by author will be deleted 24 hrs. bla bla

(Chad Elwartowski) #16

Yes, that would be problematic.

I was thinking of capturing any current at the ocean floor. Then you just slap that thing down on a concrete block and let it go.

But you would have to determine if there is current at that depth to capture.

(Larry G) #17

You could just build a weathervaning mount into a reef ball and connect your hydrogenerator to it. Connect your seacrete wires and run them around and over that reefball substrate. That way you start with a significant amount of new artificial reef, and something substantial to really hold your accretion in place.

But:

Corrosion
Biofouling
Safety

A retail consumer generator running under water unattended except for occasional divers checking on it doesn’t seem very safe.