New TSI Blog Post: We’re Hosting the President of Honduras in San Francisco

(Cesar Gonzalez R. Esq. ) #21

Hi Wilfried,

there is no banana plantations in the South/Pacific region of Honduras. The crops is mostly farmed shrimp and sugarcane. Bananas and pineapple are in the north/Caribbean coast. Dole and Chiquita are the banana companies operating this.

Are you going to be participating in the events in SF later this week? I will be attending.

and yes we can discuss more in detail privately.

(Jonas Smith) #22

Anybody currently watching want to offer up some insights as to how the event is going? Still wish it were being streamed…

(Jonas Smith) #23

Looks like some guy was streaming parts of the conference on Periscope:

https://www.periscope.tv/w/aEZAHDU0NzIyMXwyMDM4NDk2N0EXRLCMlZ01gV5KnGvFFNVQ0S8Se2m5L4kw1VmxKIoY

Would have been nice to know beforehand. Or, you know, have an official stream of the event.

Ah well, too late now.

Well, we did ask questions about the event as soon as Ken posted it here, but all we got since was Ellmer fighting and name-calling at both of us.

(Jonas Smith) #25

Honduran President Decides That Going to an Event Called “Disrupting Democracy” Isn’t Such a Good Idea

(Mark Stephan) #26

Thanks for the link :smile:

Thanks, Jonas. Those cities don’t seem to be working out well for the host countries anywhere. Private business is working in their own best interests, and abusing the locals any way possible. At the same time in the usa, congress is pushing for higher wages inside the usa.

I am guessing from the links on that page, TSI has no one at all on Conseca Bay, and no infrastructure anywhere working on that proposed floating concrete tub down there?

“Before we begin, I would like to apologize for some confused messaging,” said panelist Randy Hencken, who directs the Seasteading Institute, which promotes the creation of floating technoutopian nation-states and cosponsored the event. “Here in Silicon Valley, when we want to improve something, we say ‘disrupt,’”

LOL,… “Here in Silicone Valley”,…Than what does “Silicone Valley” says when they want to disrupt something??

It’s the same with the work “hack”. It means to do something new, make it do more than intended, reorganise. It means something else to those who don’t have a clue, which is most people.

(Jonas Smith) #30

They mean it as in “to disrupt the status quo”…to rip down the existing framework and build something new in its place. Shake things up and see what happens.

It does not necessarily mean “to improve”. You can disrupt an existing system, build something new, and find what you built is no better (or even worse) than what was there before. So if they wanted to use “disrupt” in this case they should have said something like “disrupting existing systems” or “disrupting the status quo” rather than make it seem like an attack on democracy specifically.

Shame the TSI publicity dept didn’t catch this faux pax. How long have they been around now? It’s one thing to say “disrupt” in a informal setting among those who agree what it means, but to tell someone in another language that you want permission to go screw up his country?

I was under the impression that TSI’s involvement was solely to discuss the construction and outfitting of a floating condo in Conseco Bay, and the local existing government management (or not) of the people on it. That would not have been any more “disruptive” than a cruise ship. But i bet Honduras nixes that project too.

(.) #32

I like the term technolibertarian.

It is the presence and.concentration of the techno people that makes
Silicon Valley what it is. If Honduras does not want a thing like that, it is OK.

And I do understand. It would very quickly overwhelm a country, like Honduras.
The technolibertarians would overwhelm the population, and take over the
decision making. The status quo would be disrupted.

It seems to me that population growth disrupts the status quo. I think, Honduras
has population growth, just like most countries, and the status quo does not know
what to do with this crisis. More people need more housing, food,…etc.

The old ways are failing. The faliour is even accelerated by statist rules, such as
building codes, food prices… The cities are built that homes are far from work.
Building codes make housing more expensive and none existant.

The problem with building codes is not that they hold up a standard, but the problem
is with the burocracy, and the corruption of burocracy that is involved with building codes.
Large part of the coast of a structure is just the permit process. The permit can be
revoked, or modified, and there goes lots of money. I do not like that when I invest.

I think, population growth will disrupt the democracy of Honduras, because they
love themselfs, and there is nothing I can do about that.

(Jonas Smith) #33

I don’t. It’s the technology folks in Silicon Valley who scream and whine about how government oppression kills innovation while having no issue with taking money from the government and thriving thanks to oppressive IP laws.

And the more that the media continues to associate “seasteading” with “libertarians” the worse it will be. As of now you can’t find a single article anywhere in the media that doesn’t refer to seasteaders as libertarians who just want to get away from taxes.

(.) #34

Thank you for sharing those feelings and thoughts.

closed #35

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.