New Floating Karaköy Ferry Pier 81m x 27,6m x 3,5m, Istanbul

(Ali) #1

This is new floating ferry pier, i would like to share with you

The new pier standing at 3.5 meters high and which covers a ground of 2,236 square kilometers, which will include a cafeteria, a library, and the capacity to hold 10 ships tied at a time, was built with the help of the General Directorate of Coastal Safety.

It is 81 meters long, 27.6 meters wide, weighs about 2,000 tons and will allow up to 10 ships to dock simultaneously.

Steel material cost is around 850USD/ton, labour cost is around 500USD/ton. (2000tonnes x 1350 USD)/ 2236m2 = 1200USD/m2

I just wonder your comments

(Ali) #2

[news link] (https://www.ibb.istanbul/en/News/Detail/1088)

(Matias Volco) #6

Impressive! Thank you for sharing @aliduman

That is a lot of real estate, maybe more than it was replacing? 2000 m2 at 3.5 m h would feels like a large commercial space.

12,000 $ / m2 still makes sense for the seafront Golden horn?

Apparently that pier was re built several times before opting for a floating option.

(noboxes) #7

Is the old floating Galata Bridge still in service somewhere?

(Ali) #8

Hi Matias yes, you right, additionally last time old floating one damaged during storm

I couldn’ t understand 12,000 USD/m2?

(Ali) #9

Old one is not in service

(Wilfried Ellmer) #10

| understand floating real estate |

@aliduman | Ali, thanks for sharing. Indeed an interesting piece of floating real estate. I am glad that you decided to post something. Despite of the known issues of the space.

(.) #11

Hi Ali;

Thank you for the post. I am interested about things in Turkey.
I am also interested about the Turkish language. Is the o umlaut pronounced the
same way as it is in German language?

Seems like the Mediterranean areas has lots of interest in building floating things, and
people do build things.

This building seems to be built for calm waters. I have seen a few buildings like this
in the California waters too, in protected areas. Seems like this building can be transfered
to other locations too. Are there intentions to build similar structures in Turkey and transfer
them to other areas of the Mediterranean?

I am a bit familiar with the city of Heraklion in Crete, Greece . I have seen some seashore
developments there. I think, the tourism business has lots of potential.
I think, people from Northern-Europe would be interested about spending a few weeks
during winter time in a warmer climate.

I was surprised when I asked the question about the tourist season, and I was told that the
winter is not a tourist season. I saw Russian tourist being happy with the weather in
November in Greece. (2015).

Are there any intentions in Turkey about developing winter tourist season for the Northerners?

(.) #12

How about places like Malta?
Malta has limited dry land, and building, and properties are high priced.
This way of building could extend living places to water. And structures like
this could be built in Turkey and transfered to Malta.
Local political economy might be an issue in Malta. But, I am not so familiar with
the situations in Malta.

I intended my comment as a neutral one. My questions are informational, and
neutral conversational questions. I would not like to be argumentative.

Thank you for your posts. I would like to see more. And I am interested about
your comments also.

Respectfully;

(Ali) #13

Hi,

Thank you for your interest about Turkey. Yes umlaut is pronounced the same way as it is in German :slight_smile: I didn’t hear any intension to build similar structures to transfer Mediterranean.

Yes, many people from Northern Europe come to visit Turkey during winter time. For example Antalya is the one of the most famous cities for winter tourists that you can ski and swim in the same season. Our winter means summer for Russian tourists but for us not something like that :slight_smile: I swam during my military service in January in Antalya city

There is no need to do anything warmer climate enough for them i think :slight_smile:

(Chad Elwartowski) #14

I’ve been to Antalya for vacation, very nice place.

Great floating business. Hopefully it generates a lot of business and excitement for more of those types of businesses.

(bill mapezzi) #17

He probably meant $120/ft2 which is about two million dollars profit for the builder considering steel is really only 275/ton and labor is $1.00/hour(or $5/ton). That would leave $90,000 for some windows, GI roof, and fake brick plastic panels…builder should have went with recycled tires/plastic bottles and made 2.2 million profit,

(Matias Volco) #18

$1200 per square meter, so around $112 per square feet. Perfectly in line with land base construction.

Based on earlier information disclosed by @aliduman, and context, I would call this “Heavy Method” Construction - which makes perfect sense for the high traffic operation it serves.

(Matias Volco) #19

USD 20/ square meter (and the limits of the technology are not reached yet)…

So, roughly equivalent to yacht prices, at double the Luxury-home market and quadruple the ‘ordinary’ home market, and 8 times the bottom of the heap costs.

This was predictable by labor costs, alone, let alone the ‘prestige’ market.

(Ali) #23

Hi, i am not familiar with the situations in Malta too. It can be possible to built such kind of structures to transfer to Malta, we have to many shipyards to built

Thank you for your interest

(Ali) #24

@Matias thank you for info. Using steel is an expensive method for floating structures like houses. This is heavy structure