Natural sunlight is obsolete - we are ready for ocean colonization now | mid ocean ridge mining | vent base alpha

(Wilfried Ellmer) #1

This opens the door for the ocean sphere without depending on the oculum

Mid-Atlantic Ridge
Seasteading Invest | the big five of ocean colonization | investment yield 10%+ | oceanic business alliance
Submarine Robot Factory
Everything submersible is expensive and complicated - really? | oceanic business alliance
"Ellmer Sphere" Ocean Sphere | oceanic business alliance
(Matias Volco) #2

So is this solution finally obsolete:?

Does the artificial sun provide Vitamin D? Cause it’s pretty important for immune systems (I believe) and sunlight is a much better way to get your Vitamin D than supplements.

Also, why the frick would we need this on the ocean? If we’re building on the bottom of the abyss, maybe. But we’re building on the surface or close to it, were we can get plenty of natural sunlight.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #4

Construction on the surface outside protected bays needs to take Draupner events in account - the mineral resources are in the mid ocean ridge…so this will become handy when the OCULUM does not cut it anymore.

In this context also check the concept of Vent Base Alpha a human outpost in the ocean depth.

Synthesis of vitamin is not a dealbreaker…“human well being” is.

Ocean colonization is the natural stepping stone to space colonization 90% of the living space available to human expansion looks like this…

We live on a blue planet and need to go oceanic before being pushed over the edge of sustainablility in the next 2-3 decades. Seasteading is about solving the bottleneck of ocean colonization.

Ocean sphere with oculum - light in the ocean sphere can be natural - but natural light is no longer needed …

In ocean colonization people will get gradually used to extraordinary living concepts … we will start with something that resembles normal apartments in normal shore side buildings …

but those “entrance concepts” will quickly be replaced by a new generation of more radical concepts that definitly open the oceanic frontier to mankind…

Picture the Ramform | get invested | get started | oceanic business alliance

From the website:

I didn’t know this horribly expensive way to reflect an LED lamp, and make it look like sunlight, was holding back seasteading, or in particular, the sphere type of architecture. I guess it’s not applicable to any other seastead which may want overhead “sunlight”, and have the money to burn for it, eh?

Can you give me a completion date on your project, Ellmer, or is this more of your cgi bullshit that lets people down and makes a mockery of seasteading in general?

(Matias Volco) #7

Some of that is actually my CGI you’re talking about, which I’m producing with existing technologies in mind, such as the Monaco Pier Extension. Would you like a picture comparing sizes of existing floating concrete structures with the structures pictured in the above CGIs?

(Wilfried Ellmer) #8

@KatOnTri, thanks for your intent to involve me in a childish doodler fight - sadly i have to pass…i have to insist in quality debate …

(Matias Volco) #9

a delicate glass precisely shaped bowl with a tungsten filament inside was probably quiet expensive when it was first conceived. At least it was scarce enough to be displayed only as a novelty in 19 Century World Fairs.
How long did it take for the lightbulb to become commonplace and then obsolete?
This is how price, technologically advanced products, and time interact with each other:

Ok, my thesis is you will never build what is in the pictures, and no one else will either.

What does a draupner event have to do with anything? It’s not like the occulus will be a hole in the roof, there will be glass over it. And I know the seastead will rock and such, but hey, that’s what happens when you live at sea. A big ballasted sphere might roll but it will re-right itself. If we design it so furniture inside won’t go flying about every which way (like bolting the furniture down), only small items will cause minor damage.

As for the mid-ocean ridge, I’m guessing you are suggesting building either over it and finding a way down to mine from it; or saying to build something on the BOTTOM of the ocean.

As for the first one, I can see that eventually happening in the far-off future. By the time we can make it cost effective to mine 2500m below the surface, we will probably have better ways to deal with draupner waves.

As for the second one, I don’t think I’d want to live under 2500m of water where everything outside is pitch black, will crush you in less than an instant, ect…

It will also be going up and down severely. The Draupner wave wasn’t just a pile of water moving sideways over a calm sea, it was a deep drop in the water level, Then a steep and huge rise in the water pushing up 60ft, and then another deep drop in the water level. Your sphere ball will be moving with that water. It’s unavoidable.

I know, but that still won’t really matter to a sealed sphere. Just make sure things inside are bolted down (that makes sense anyways) and while a few people may lose their lunch, nothing too serious should happen.

(Matias Volco) #14

bolting things down for the possibility of a Draupner or other once in a blue moon event?
Tokyo and Mexico City (and San Francisco, Santiago, etc) are some of the biggest cities on Earth and are both built on seismic areas: buildings in those cities are prepared to deal with seismic events without changing the look feel and actual everyday life of their residents.

It is a little different at sea. We will have to contend with hurricanes that make the ocean fairly choppy as well. I will also point out that on land, if your bed goes out the window, your building won’t sink. At sea, it makes more sense to bolt things down just as a precautionary measure. If your bed hits the window in choppy weather and cracks it, the water pressure can possibly finish the job of breaking your window. That would really suck. And bolting the major items of furniture doesn’t really change much in the daily life, but it makes everything safer for when things get nasty. It’s called being prepared.

(Chad Elwartowski) #17

Bioluminescent lights only need a slight rocking motion to produce light. Perfect for a seastead.

I could see a whole wall filled with this stuff. Or the floor.

(system) #18

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.