My Intro. 3D Printing and Barges

(Rob Shuttleworth) #1

Hi there all, I’m glad to find this resource.
I have been involved with 3D and motion systems for some time. Lately, I’ve been working with 3D printing. I think having 3D printers in remote places is a necessity along with plastic recycling processes.
I’m regularly at a marina so I so I get to see a lot of projects being done. There are some floating homes on concrete barges there also.
I have a ThingiVerse group with the original 1999 schematics of one of the homes along with some recent renovation photos. I also talk about using and applying 3D printing to possibly make floating spaces directly on the water. (me)

Cheers to all involved.
Rob Shuttleworth

(Wilfried Ellmer) #2

Hello Rob,

I am glad you are here…let us hear your thoughts…

Check on what has been talked so far about the topic

What are your thoughts on combining 3d print with global mobility of house sized objects…

| 3D printer contribution to the seasteading economy |

(Nick Gencarelle) #3

My associates at armatron are about to introduce their very advanced 3D printing technologies.
They are looking for investments and projects but from what I have seen they will change the industry. mLooking forward to seeing it in action.

(.) #4

Hi Rob. I am glad you are here. Thank you for your post.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #5

@NickGri |

• can you give us a picture of the armatron printer please…?

• can it be adapted to print with Cor Tuf - UHPC, or similar advanced cement bonded composite materials ?

I imagine there is a reason why you (being “Basalt Guru”) are asociated with them…and mentioned them - can you share it ?

(Nick Gencarelle) #6

Hi. They will be showing and announcing their technology in February. Yes they will be able to print with Cor-Tuf. By making SCC versions of the concrete to achieve various slumps we can modify flow and spread rates. We also have geo-polymers (multiple versions) and determined by the compelling reasons for using which types of mixes we can mix according to the need. Interior walls might just need a foam core insulating and sound attenuating cement with a strong finish on them. Fire retardant properties and weights all can be adjusted and modified as needs are specified. Personally I think fire ratings need to be far beyond a so-called Lloyds specification as the reality is fire is a problem we can address with better solutions. I have now an aerogel paste that I have added to concrete and held a torch to it and not burned through. Much lighter and quieter this concrete would be perfect between compartments and around engine rooms etc.,easily printable.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #7

@NickGri | Whow - that was key info in a short and compact form - every line of that post deserves a thread…need to digest that - comming back soon…

(Nick Gencarelle) #8

Looking forward to all we can address and making future constructions much stronger and longer lasting, safer, and able to withstand man-made or natural disasters.

(noboxes) #9

That’s a laudable goal, Nick. But 3D house printing has been around a long time, and as far as i know no one has made a go of it. I even remember a company in Central America was formed to print houses, they were able to snake the minimal equipment needed to print a house in a day (onto a existing footing) thru narrow winding mountain dirt roads. The Japanese have printed homes, hobbyists have printed homes and toy castles, Israelis have printed homes. The tech, the procedures, the cement mix, are not the problem, sales are the problem. As a for-instance, look to the islands wrecked recently by the twin wallop of hurricanes Irma and Maria. Where’s the wave of fast rebuilding using cheap modern 3D building? Or, look to California, where massive fires are the norm, and everyone knows cement (or concrete) doesn’t burn, yet in whole neighborhoods, every house is burned to the ground there. You don’t even need to print the entire house in a sweep thru fire or hurricane ripped neighborhoods, getting the core required rooms up in a day for bare occupancy is worthwhile. But in 30 years of looking for it, it’s not happening. Naming the machine or system on a 40 year old Radio Shack toy prolly isn’t helping any.

There was even a guy in the Sahara who used a fresnel lense to sinter layers of plain sand into glass to build with. Very slow, but used little equipment, and could have been optomised for speed in various ways. After the one “look what he did!” publicity, nothing happened.

(Nick Gencarelle) #10

Yes a laudable goal. These guys however are quite advanced and way beyond anything else we have seen to date so it might just be that, with funding of course, it takes off and becomes more normal and the kinks worked out. I am not a naysayer however, and want to think positively about making change to construction methods, materials and ideology which has allowed for this continued building of stick frames that burn down or blow down or wash away. It is now time for a change and the materials are actually available not theoretical. The price is acceptable and even better or will be and what is the cost of having no home after disaster? Never mind the loss of life, animals, art and possessions, mental turmoil etc. If these were put into the cost analysis we would never go back to building as we do today.

(.) #11

There were always dubious signs of different construction materials from ancient times,
like the pyramids, and roman concrete. I think it is likely that new construction methods
will succeed.

(noboxes) #12

Please tell us why, and when. A very very few have built new houses (and retrofitted old houses) with concrete cores as tornado shelters. But this method of construction has been known forever, i think. Why has it not become widely done, to print up the semi-custom core of a house in cement in one or two days, and then normal owner choices added on in the normal old-fashioned build cycle? If a storm blows the rest of the house away, you still have food, a restroom, a safe sleep space, and etc. . Why do you think 3D printing will catch on now? The ideas and benefits are not new, but so far no one wants them. Why is that? What will change their minds?

(Nick Gencarelle) #13

Because the materials are much stronger yet thinner, more weather and fire and storm resistant, and the technology to print has gone, or will be soon going, from dot-matrix to laser in comparison. Remember it took but a decade or two to bring advances in computers to where they are today. My laptop is probably more powerful than the banks of computers that got us to the moon and they cost many tens of millions of dollars. It takes some time (and money) but we are getting there. Soon, as said Feb-March for first introductions-we have yet to do any concrete testings so these will take a little time but this coming year will see many huge advances.

(noboxes) #14

But there was 10,000psi concrete 50 years ago, there was continuous extrusion of many materials 40 years ago (including cement). And the modern computer is irrelavant as the 1/2 Mhz machines of the 1970’s were perfectly adequate to monitor material flowing, read sensors, and operate motors. The cheap 1 Mhz machines of the 1980s were too. In the early 1970s, people laughed at the idea of driving down the road while talking on the phone, in an electric car. Why are they still laughing at any portion of a residential home being made of poured/placed/extruded cement?

(Rob Shuttleworth) #15

New things are just so slow to be realized without widespread promotion (as in: MONEY.)
~And~… seeing a lightweight home-made printer making things from locally sourced cheap materials makes it all much more possible to someone who can’t imagine carrying bags of cement, etc. great distances. is probably the best starting point for someone with the least resources
(as in: MOST PEOPLE ON EARTH) and he has some enjoyable videos.
His recycling machine models are also available on
Probably the metal cutters for the shredder will be most challenging.

(Larry G) #16

This is a good point. The problem is most people now are consumers, not producers. Without railing much about the moral hazard involved in that fact, it simply comes down to (overwhelmingly almost all) people don’t care what things are made of or how they are constructed. They only care about the immediate result to them.

So they don’t plan for fires and hurricanes, they simply take the “fire safety code” standard presented to them and approved by “the proper authorities”. They accept the things they see generally other people doing not only as “ordinary” but as “proper” and deviation from that is not simply “different” but generally “improper”. So a person who builds a concrete house with extra wide doors may be socially punished for it even if it has a purpose for the builder and makes no difference in the lives of the observers. So maintaining social status requires conformity (for people of moderate original status). If one has enough social capital to spend on bucking the system and can then prove the superiority of the ‘new’ thing, they may reap additional dividends of social status but it’s a risk.

I am highly in favor of the “prosumer” or ‘maker’ movement. I think that this kind of attitude engenders not only self-sufficiency-minded outlooks, but also outlooks that retain social conscience, environmental stewardship, and future-oriented conservancy that are important to non-going quality of life and progress.

(Rob Shuttleworth) #17

Good observations. I’ve just learned that my friend’s son, in grade 12 has had no CAD or vector type drawing classes whatsoever. They are barely touching on HTML.
There is something seriously broken if this is the situation across the public education system.

(noboxes) #18

But html is a “gateway drug”. If you get them hooked on that, it’s inevitable they progress to css. Next thing you know, they are doing javascript. And then if you cannot get them under control, they’ll participate in php and ajax, or perhaps even worse: perl and dbase! There’s so many flavors of those things that will keep them from getting injured in sports, it must be truely terrifying for parents, to have an educated child ask for 3D chess for xmas!

(noboxes) #19

How do they say … “preach it, brother!”? I get attacked for suggesting the ubiquitous flat-deck barge can do more than one thing, or a floating deck can be moved to a different location, i just delete myself and leave. It’s like suggesting Autumn leaves can be used as mulch in a garden of fresh veggies, you just do not buck a system where leaves are only for packing into a dense pile and smouldering masses of choking smoke for days.

(.) #20

Are you sure you want to abandon your post?