Moving Seastead: Optimizing the climate manually

(jjackson) #1

I would love to see moving Seasteads. If we were able to move a Seastead we could:

• see different cultures and have different ‘neighbors’
  • specifically alter the climate to be consisten or changing. It could be warm year round, we could have warm summers and snowy winters, we could have short winters and no autumn etc.
  • we could vary flight durations, we could be close to Europe for their summer vacation, to come to us and then close to the US when its time for springbreak (assuming we focus on party tourism)
  • we could have a year-round ski resort with real snow outside on swimming, artificial mountains but stay as close to a hub like Japan, or the US as possible while still having the freezing temperatures needed for snow.

Problem is: a single body like a cruise ship is easy to move, because signicant costs were incurred to make it movable, making an entire 100k people city movable is hard… at least if we use engines.

What if we hang on to streams like the Golf stream? Its pretty fast at 2m/s, it goes from the warm Carribean near the US via Europe to the cold parts of northern Europe. Couldn’t we install underwater sails and drift for free with this massive body of water? this could allow us nice European Summers and not-too-hot Carribean winters, make travel costs dependant on the season. In winter its 1h flight to Miami, in Summer its 1h flight to Dublin.

Sounds like you mean something like sea-anchors. Might be possible.

Not all of us share that sort of vision. Consider that you’d have an ever-changing logistics issue for food, communications, healthcare services and so on. Not to mention passports and currency exchange.

Of course.

Such a “seastead” was proposed few years ago (outside the TSI)

https://www.seaorbiter.com/

Not if you have $100 Billions :smile: But it can be started @ 100-500-1000 people.

Yes, more like large center-lee boards + real sails.

What logistic issues? I don’t see any “logistic issues” with 6000 passengers cruise ships navigating all over the World as we speak.

(Matias Volco) #4

“hatch into currents at snorkel speed” ? like whales migrate across oceans at minimum to no energy exense?

What would be the advantage of real sails on an underwater vessel? Like a Portuguese Man o War colony? How about kites?

Could it be enough with a small diesel engine and a rudder?

Could it be started at 10-50…and so on?

Ocean Sphere orbiter?

Project Entropy is what you’re looking for. It’s a modern version of sea nomads that move around the world in crowd-owned boats. Go support them.

http://project-entropy.com/

I or my partner will probably support them myself as representative of our project when we’re nearing completion to spread our web around. However, they need support now and with our limited budget, we can’t spare any funds for them. All you need to join their fleet is a boat, though I wonder how they’re doing these days.

He’s not talking about being powered, but rather circulating with the current. It’s a whole lot longer trip at say 3-5 knots per hour.

I thought he was referring to floating seastead, not underwater ones. Kites will work too (a different type of sail, but still a “sail”). Diesels? Why not. Rudder? LOL, how can a moving seastead NOT HAVE a rudder,…

Of course.

I don’t know about a “sphere orbiter”. I was just talking about the seaorbiter.

I got the current circulation JL.

It is just that in reality you need some sort of power (sail or otherwise) to “jump” from one current to an other since there are “calm zones” between current.

Also, crossing the equatorial doldrums on drifting alone without some sort of power would be quite impossible, I guess,…Please note that the Seaorbiter has twin engines. They are there for a solid reason,…

Seaorbiter still does not exist. It was never started, so never completed. The scheduled launch of 2015 came and went, and nothing was built, other than a few pieces that may make nice art, but have no functional purpose.

LOL, seasteads still don’t exist either,…

(jjackson) #10

thanks for sharing the seaorbiter link, very interesting and I have never heard of it before. :slight_smile:

(jjackson) #11

well there are potentially different streams at different depths. Also it might be easier to have the underwater ‘sails’ movable so that you only need to move them to the nearest stream, so that they can pull the seastead. Powering a Seastead with engines sounds costly…

(system) closed #12

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.