Modular Extension | Connectors | Cellular expansion | Building Technology

(Wilfried Ellmer) #29

The “termite analogy” is actually the most simple way i can think of to explain the advanced composite shell dot printing concept … but even so - people keep missing the points. Can we work on simplyfy it further or is it better to just stop communication under the hypothesis that we do not have the correct auditorium here…or we are crappy teachers who fail to bring it over - who knows…

Just let´s hope some of the 660 silent users of this forum got it and move on...

(Matias Volco) #30

It is a very good analogy - along with your latest video releases it gave the impression that you had entirely spilled the beans (technologically speaking).
I will show the scale and proportion which is what folks might have some difficulty with

(Wilfried Ellmer) #31

Maybe bone structure is a better and easier to understand analogy ?

But it is probably more complicated to bring over the work of osteoblasts than the work of termites…

A osteoblast is a faceless cell that segregates bone structure… harder to relate with than a termite who is at least a critter people can see and watch…

The interresting point in osteoblasts is that they keep bones growing according to the stress they are experimenting. If the bone is in overload some of those microstructures start breaking - osteoblasts detect that “microfractures” , repair them and double them up. So you get a bone structure that is reforced EXACTLY where load bearing capacity is needed.

I assume at Zaha Hadid Architects finite element computer programs are used to solve such complex structures. - Interrestingly osteoblasts get similar results just by detecting stress repair and double up.

(Matias Volco) #33

Humans do that too but it is apparent only in the microscopic and very large, satellite-picture scales. This gap is where our communication department obviously needs to focus.

i.e. in a large human colony, when a thoroughfare is overloaded (with traffic, not weight) it breaks and doubles up.

imagen

When we notice that is how erosion also works in non living things, we understand the “universality” of this evolutionary strategy.

imagen

Yes, computer power can help us simulate this cycles - but it’s not necessary to understand them. Zaha made us draw curved lines to detect where “fractures” should be with the same natural ease we can detect 90 degree angles

(Wilfried Ellmer) #34

It is of essence for a seastead concept that the possibility of growth, of adaption to change, is hardwired into the concept…

So, please explain how an unreinforced, wattle and daub structure is:
A) waterproof
B) pressure resistant to over 160 atmospheres
C) modular extension

@ellmer

You have yet to answer 3 simple questions, regarding your described method.

please provide answers to the relevant inquiry…

(.) #43

post withdrawn by author will be deleted 24 hrs. bla bla

(Bob LLewellyn) #45

One cubic meter of fresh water weighs 1000KG. A kilogram is roughly 2.2 lbs. So a cubic meter of water weighs roughly 2200 lbs or just over one ton. I don’t think your cube will weigh quite that much so yes, it will float.

(.) #47

If it weighs less than one cubic meter of water … then it will float. Right?

(.) #49

But buoyancy must be measured by the weight of the fluid displaced. A rock is buoyant in melted lead, but not in water. Same rock, different fluid.

(.) #52

(Wilfried Ellmer) #71

Finite Element programs allow to get a clear picture where in a complicated truss structure the stress is biggest (red part) and builing in composite material allows to enforce on the exactly right spot with the right component ( compression, tension, or torsion stresses ) increasing the fiber or the cement component on structural demand.

This is again an example how new technologies work together to create something new - a new style of building for new ambients.

We are learning to apply the tricks of the termites and the osteoblasts. That makes building logistically more complicated and demands a better understanding from the architect and the builder.

(Larry G) #74

They told Thor Heyerdahl that balsa rafts couldn’t make it to Polynesia- and there WERE problems. But there were also some interesting benefits.

As for code conformity, there are certain expectations of safety and risk management nowadays that are clearly good ideas, but weren’t in place when many traditional methods were developed. Codes are limited in that they are inherently conservative implementations of what has already worked before- they aren’t intended to be experimental or new. Much like engineering is not science- science explores boundaries and engineering implements the known. There are certain new, experimental, and unknown things which can’t be engineered- only tried empirically. You and I definitely agree on this point.

But in the course of that experimentation, new codes can be developed to give confidence. Building codes aren’t bad things in themselves.

RE: rafts- I have given serious consideration to building a modern materials version of Thor Heyerdahl’s raft with the intent of being an ocean platform.

Key elements in my mind are:

-longitudinal strength of individual structural elements, with:
-loose lateral coupling to provide flexible movement with waves, avoid suction forces during sag
-length proportional to average wavelength of seas to be encountered to minimize hog/sag
-width proportional to length and minimums for occupation
-materials resistant to UV, corrosion, cold, and bio-accumulation and inherently buoyant

Then use modern understanding of aero/hydrofoils to provide steerage using combinations of dagger boards or lee boards, sail, and using an on-board generator, electric motors for vectored propulsion in close quarters. I could really see it being a Caribbean, Mediterranean, or Gulf of Siam type of permanent liveaboard solution.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #75

@thebastidge | Larry the topic of code conformity needs a longer (pictured) explanation with real world examples - that i will write up off forum and then post a link to the text. Is that ok with you as forum admin ?

I am not going to do a longer write up here just to see it later deleted by one of the forum admins (as it happened earlier)...my time is of value and i am fanatic of "efficient processes".

(Larry G) #76

A good place for that is the Wiki if the intent is to freely provide it to the seasteading community.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #77

This is the link | code conformity |

(Gerd Weiland) #91

my dear seasteader-- you were last on the line so dunna take the following message personaly–neither yu ol bean nor anybody else on this seastead forum, as i have found to my distress, has any idea whatsoever about floating offshore structures cabable of absorbing even the most modest dynamic offshore wave action forces which will be experienced. Non of those pretty concrete cyberspace bathtub designs displayed on your website would survive any kind of offshore storm – As i believe i did so, at least 5 years ago on your website–any interconnected structure of the dissplacement size and shape, let alone structural integrity, which you continue to propose, can survive the swimming pool environment they were obviously concived because such dubious designs will definatly fail at the connection points–The only structural mechanics cabable of absorbing the de and compression forces encountered are flexible structures built through the application of an innovative development in weaving technology called the Ring-Weave, whereby closed rubber ring-bands are interwoven together into homogene 2 & 3 dimensional surface areas or hollow bodies—The Ring-Weave technology when applied to the re use of scrap automobil tyer treads, provides a rubber coated raw product with which to Ring-Weave build indestructable floating island seasteads of any shape or size which absorb wave action on the outer perameter to generate electric power the center remaining relativly stable to errect habitation. Ring woven seastead structures can be built for virtualy nothing by Seastead pioneers and hard work—not just duds with a big bank account and time to spare dreaming up elitest entertainment–give me a break–where is the pioneer spirit used by those who braved the wilds before–where are those simple folk who dare to build a simple sea worthy sea stead by intergrating a local scrap tire Up cycle incentive which will finance the the floating island project which can be developed step by step wave by wave—Two millon bucks sponsership and years of help—Mercy–maybe i will check again 5 years on